1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Any machinists here?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 320090T, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I need to shorten a socket, will carbide inserts cut it? Thanks.

2. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Carbide will cut it, but depending on the brand of socket,
    they can be quite hard and/or tough,might need to use more than one side of an insert, or use a brazed carbide, ad hand sharpen when it get's dull,ceramic insert would work really well.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I too would grind, Rebel, provided I don't need to take too much off, though it can be done the other way. The difference is mostly that when you grind the socket turns blue if you don't cool it all the time.

Neil

4. chrisg

chrisg Member

If you have to take a lot off use an abrasivie cut-off wheel in a die grinder.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I need to to take ¾" off, making a very shallow socket. I thought about a TPG 321 with the pointed tip to feed in and cut off most of it, then face the cut square.

6. j l c

j l c TS Member

Take it to a machine shop and have them wire EDM cut to length. This is clean and will not disturb the temper (hardness) of the part.Respectfully, Jerry

7. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Please don't ask how but I broke off the front bead on my K-gun flush with the rib.

After taking it to a machinist friend of mine he referred me to a EDM company, Holy cow was that amazing 15-20 minutes later i am fixed up at a cost of $20.00, with no damage and the original threads!

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

chrisg's method is cheapest. I've modified many the same way. Kept cool with water or oil while cutting with the high speed die grinder, the hardness won't be affected much. A diamond wheel will walk through it like it was hot butter also! Hap

9. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

An insert will do it , but as stated in some other posts just easier to grind. Depending on what kinda lathe you have plunging a TPG321 will put alot of pressure on the piece and tool post. I don't think you will be chucked up good enough for that kinda pressure especially if it is a good socket. Just my 2 cents worth.

Austin Fatts

10. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

As a Toolmaker at Jeep in Toledo we modified hundreds of sockets over the years for special applications. Just chuck it up and use carbide or ceramic if you have it. Take it easy but not too easy you stand a chance of work hardening it if you go too slow. We did black impact sockets and comercial chrome plated ones. No big deal. Grinding it will most likely take the hardness away if you don't cool it well. An abrazive cut off would not be my choice if you have a lathe available. One our common jobs was to put a nice taper on the ends of 3/4 inch extened sockets for the lug nut multiples so that the sockets did not ding up the aluminum wheels at tire install. We also slotted deep well sockets for the wire clearance to install O2 sensors on the exhausts, using plain old high speed end mills. Bill

11. quicky

quicky Member

Ditto what Haskins, Bill said. Don't try to make this too complicated. You could also use a thin cut-grip parting tool if you wanted to. We always try to make things harder than they need to be. Quicky

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Send it to me and I'll do it at N/C. Just tell me the overall length you want left or the depth of the socket portion. The return shipping is on me.

Doug Braker

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Grinding Wheel is the way to go unless there is something specail about the socket your trying to shorten.

14. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Bill, I spent 2 hours a few years ago on a tour of your Jeep plant. Glad you guys continue to make some very good quality vehicles. I attended a Jeep Rubicon outside of Sacramento and the things those Jeeps will do is amazing and in stock form too...not a place where the Jap/Korean 4WD's tread.

15. B.C.

B.C. Member

How about using a carbide rod saw blade that fits into a hacksaw ? B.C.

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Thanks Jim. It saddens me to drive past the old plant on North Cove and see just one smokestack standing. They tore all of the old plant down. I retired last January. The new plant certainly is nice compared to the old pile of bricks. Bill

17. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Most sockets are not that hard. Chuck it up in your lathe and cut it with a brazed carbide tool bit. Rough it off, sharpen your bit and take a clean up cut from the inside out to keep the burr down. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.