1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Any George Patton fans here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Porcupine, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The New York Herald Tribune, on June 15, 1945, published a photograph of General George S. Patton (while on leave in Washington, DC) with four grandchildren. One of my relatives (who knew the General in Hawaii circa 1935) clipped this newspaper photo and saved it.

If you collect stuff like this, I'll mail this clipping to the first private message and address I receive.

LA in MA

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

The clipping has been claimed.

LA in MA

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Any names on those grandchildren? I've shot skeet with, and know, one of this grandsons.

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

George Patton (best remembered by Gorge C. Scott’s portrayal) was actually a short man with a high squeaky voice. However, he was a real man and a warrior that our country needs more of!

Some information that can be verified online:
    He was on the U.S. Olympic Team
    He was independently wealthy and used his on personal fortune to help fund parts the 3rd Armor Div prior to WWII
    He had his own string of polo ponies
    He had his own fox hound pack

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyUX6wV1lBQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyUX6wV1lBQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jerbear

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

5th place in the pentathlon at the 1912 Olympics.

"Do your damnedest, in an ostentatious manner, at all times."

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

He served with General Pershing during the U.S. intervention in Mexican Revolution. Definately a guy with many experiences.

John E.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

He's the single greatest military mind this country has ever known! He wasn't a politician, an ass kisser or anything but a pure warrior. If it wasn't for Patton, the atom bomb would have been used in Germany before Japan.

ss

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

One of his grandsons , John Waters shot a hundred in the .410 Skeet event at our last Shoot here in Fredericksburg VA a couple weeks ago. Jeff

10. Landshark

Landshark Member

Great info! Thanks for posting.

11. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

Jerbear that is outstanding!

Jed

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

My question is who is NOT a fan of Patton.

The guy was a warrior.

13. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
    George S. Patton

14. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

George S. Patton Jr., proclaimed the M-1 Garand "The greatest Battle implement ever devised by man." He was truly a genius.....Wayne

15. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

He was a hell of a man.

Too bad our kids want fined out anything about him in public schools, maybe about Stalon, but never about any american icons.

16. Guard Rail

Guard Rail TS Member

17. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I have been contacted by a few posters who requested a digital copy of the photograph. I regret to say that I neglected to scan it before I mailed it out. My apologies. However, I will contact the recipient and ask him if he'd mind scanning the photo and posting it here.

LA in MA

18. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Patton Museum at Ft. Knox, KY is well worth a visit if you are in the area. Last time I was there (about 10 years ago), his pistols were there courtesy of the family.

There is also a German Leopard tank that some claim was the best WW II tank made by any side.

Ed Ward

19. laura!

laura! Member

I was lucky enough to handle his pistols when my great grandmother (Hilda Ayer) was still alive. He was married to my great grandfather's (Frederick Ayer) sister, Beatrice Ayer. I highly recommend my uncle's (also Frederick Ayer) book "Before the Colors Fade". It can still be found on second hand book sites like abebooks.com

20. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

He scored the only perfect score made on the US ARMY map reading course up to the time of about 1970. AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.