1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(OT) ??? ANY .17 HMR SHOOTER OUT THERE ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Spanky, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

As stated on more than one occasion in this site, the opinion, experiences and comments by you guys are respected by me on trapshooting and the various shooting sports. I'm just trying to throw out there and get some experiences of any 17 HMR shooters. I wanted to pick one of these last summer and some how got side tracked from doing so and never did. I think Saturday I might go out to Cabela's or Gander to check out the situation and more than likely pick on up. I'm primarly going to use it for woodchucks, late season squirrels and some targets.

In the full scheme of things today they aren't that expensive. Ammo is a bit on the pricey side but my intended use in not going to be for plinking. I have other rim fires for that. I'm sort of leaning toward a version of the Marlin 917 or Savage 93R17's with the heavy target/varment barrel. Matte blue barrel and flat black synthetic stock. Maybe pick up a half decent 2x7 or 3x9 matte scope for it. I've known for years that Marlin has a heck of a warranty(5 years) not that it would ever be needed, Savage seem to be identical or close. It appears to be a hot little cartridge effective in that 100 - 150 yard range.

I suppose the only draw back to the 17 HMR would be windy or breezy days. With bullet weights of 17 and 20 grains a cross wind must play hell with it. Would it be safe to assume that in a 12-15 mph wind, it could possibly be pushed 4-6" ? Maybe more?

Just looking for some 17 HMR comments. Thanks for the help and opinions.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The Marlin and Savage 17 HMR rifles both have a reputation for accuracy. I prefer the Savage, because of the crisp trigger break.<br>
    <br>
    My son has a Savage 93R17FV/ This ha a heavy 21" blued barrel and action, and a black synthetic stock. It also has the Accu-Trigger, and it's light and crisp. When solidly anchored, the gun can shoot better than anyone can hold it. Savage just came out with the same model completely covered in Mossy Oak Brush - wish we had waited. There are also stainless guns, several wood stocked models, and different barrel weights.<br>
    <br>
    Myself, I have a discontinued Winchester/USRA 9417 lever action rifle in 17 HMR. I prefer lever guns. Yes, it's not quite as accurate as the bolt action Marlin or Savage. Still, the accuracy is outstanding for a lever gun, and it rivals some but certainly not all, bolt actions.<br>
    <br>

3. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Spanky,

I've had mine for almost 3 years now, and have used it for pretty much the same exact things you're looking to use it for. I don't think it's really needed for squirrels, a .22 LR is probably just as good if not better. Sometimes the TNT hollowpoints I was shooting them with just didn't open up enough, so if I use it again, I'll be looking for more frangible bullets. For ground hogs (what I've used the gun the most for) though, that bullet is great. You don't get many pass thru's, but hit them in the right spot and it stops them right there. I've killed them out to around 175 yards with it, and I think that's about as far as I would like to try with it. Wind can be an issue, but if it was getting very windy at all, I usually tried for something a bit heavier that wouldn't get blown around as much. Mine is a Marlin 917 with a heavy stainless barrel on it and a laminate stock, no complaints at all on the rifle, definately accurate enough to do what I've intended it to do. In other words, I like the rifle/cartridge combo a lot, in fact, might have to go sight it in this weekend since I've been seeing some ground hogs popping out of their holes already! :p

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I travel to the UK fairly often on business. Had a chance to shoot rabbits with an Anschutz rifle - these are suppressed and are good out to about two hundred yards - dead flat - just aim for the rabbit's head and... Took about 75 in one night. This one had a heavy trigger and a scope with a NARROW field of view...

Was able to shoot a fox as well - about 100 ~ 120 yards - NOT a clean kill. What we figure is that I shot a bit low and hit the snout rather than the brain vault. Follow-up shot took care of it.

Also took two small Roe deer at about 40 ~ 50 yards -single head shots - both dropped where they stood.

Thus, I think this is a remarkable round - we were pushing its limits for sure, but it was being done to see just what it could do - and it performed beyond what we expected.

David D

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I literally got within the skin of shooting a squirrel in half with my 17. It is way overkill unless you are for sure you are going to hit them in the head. Groups are extremely tight at 100 yards. Do not try and shoot it in the rain or wind. I have a savage with the stainless bull barrel and synthetic stock.

Forrest

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have the savage bull barrel with the gray laminated stock..with a 6-24 scope it will take the front tooth out of a squirrel out to 125yds and maybe another 50 if the wind is nil..I lapped the barrel very slightly and redid the crown...3/4" @100

7. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I have the Savage but not with the accutrigger. It came with a so so 3x9 but I put a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it a 3x12 with the bullet drop compensating turret on it. You can't beat it out to 300 yards in calm air. Easy as hell to punch holes in nickles at 50 yards and three shots at a hundred into a quarter sized spot. The scope is less than a hundred bucks. Bill

8. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

I have the Savage stainless bull barrel with thumbhole laminated stock. I put a German Zeiss 3x9 scope on it and shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups off bags at 100 yds. Very accurate and fun to shoot. I bought it for prarie dog shooting.

9. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I bought the Marlin. A great little gun. I did not like the trigger and put another in it. This gun is a shooter. Just wish I was as good as it is capable of.I agree on the wind. When it gets windy I just get a heavier caliber out. I shoot mine primarily for prairie dogs.

Jerry Walker

10. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I had the ruger heavy lam. stock & sold it &bought the lam. stock savage with accu trigger. It shoot alot better and 1/2 the cost
    Hope this helps
    JR

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought the SAVAGE .17 HMR with the laminated thumb hole stock Stainless steel with scope for
    $315.00 at Buckeye Sports, very, very accurate.

Watch for sales in Flyer.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

I also owned a Anshutz 1517 (one tiny hole at 75 yards on a calm day) and a 77/17 (about a inch at 75) anything over 100 yards wind is a problem, need to clean barell often...Rick

13. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I have both the Savage and the Marlin. Put the Basix trigger in the Marlin and I like it better the the Savage with the Acru Trigger. Like Rick said, clean the barrel and it will group with the big boys except when the wind is blowing and then just put it away.

Van

14. WV Bob

WV Bob TS Member

I have the Marlin 917 with a heavy stainless barrel on it and a laminate stock. From a bench I can put 5 shots under a dime at 100 yards. At 200 yards, with no wind, I cut only the X ring. With any wind it opens right up. But it's fun to shoot. Well used golf balls on a tee at 100 yards do wild things when hit. I've used it on crows and ground hogs and never had one run. They just drop. It's a bit of over kill on starlings, but one needs to keep in practice.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have the M77/17 Ruger with a 12X Leupold. Wonderful gun that I shoot many ground squirrels and Jack Rabbits with. The .17 HMR is not something you want to use for edible game and penetration is really not enough for coyote sized animals.

There are lots of good rifles on the market, I would look at the CZ, the M77 Ruger and the Savage. Don't go cheap on the scope, you need good glass to get the most out of this great little varmint round.

16. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Aside from the shotgun games, the .17 HMR is my favorite gun to shoot. I've posted this gun before, but here goes again. It's a Savage 93 with a Basix adjustable trigger (set at 10oz, NO creep) and I've done some stock modifications because these guns feel like they're built for a 12 year old.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1030.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

A quarter shot at 142 yards, first shot. It was set up between two boards and I thought that I missed it, so I moved on to the other targets (potatos and water bottles). When we set up more potatos, my buddy noticed that the quarter was still sitting there, but had a hole clean through it.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1021.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I've shot and gunsmithed the Marlin and the Savage, I prefer the Marlin but the new Savage's shoot just as well. The 17hmr is a joy to shoot, I bought one of the first Marlins out but my son confiscated it. Less recoil than a 22lr, quieter, and hits like a lightning bolt.

Incidently I have a custom stock for a Marlin 917V with bull barrel. It is a pepper laminate with several coats of candy blue and clear painted for me by a pro custom car painter. I'd like to get $175 which is way less than I have in it.

I also have trigger pull kits for the Savage which will easily get the trigger down to 2 lbs or less crisp and safe. $20 shipped. Ross

[​IMG]

18. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Marlin and savage have good rifles. Best bang for the buck in 17 HMR is New England arms H&R whatever they call themselves. One can be bought new for well under $200.00. Marlin or savage will NOT outshoot these ugly little rifles. I bought one and can consistently shoot 1/2" groups( not a typo 1/2" groups )at 200 yards with Hornady or Federal ammo. That is a fact. If ugly doesn't matter buy the heavy barrel H&R. My opinion...Larry Lockhart

19. hairy

hairy TS Member

Now now Mr Lockhart....½" @ 200 yards?

20. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hairy, you beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.