1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT -ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by a budine, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a budine

a budine Member

Our DEC is looking at instituting an antler point restriction for our area. The local sportsmen's federation opposes it. I need all pertinent info you folks can provide for me in the next couple weeks. Please post your answers here or send them to my e-mail. Thanks to all who respond. Al Budine

2. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Point restrictions are both a good thing and a bad thing. If done properly, within 5 years you will see a difference in the quality of bucks in the area. The bad things include...1) Youth hunters now are not allowed to take any buck they choose. 2) For older hunters or those with failing eyesight, it now makes it tougher for them to identify a "legal" buck. 3) In areas where deer drives are common, this adds a different element to the drive by having to identify if a moving buck is "legal". If I may suggest, pick up a copy of the April 2008 edition of Bow & Arrow Hunting. They did a lengthy article about this very topic on page 62. They focused on actual data from Michigan to backup there writing. Hope this helps. Garrett

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, you'll get bigger deer out of it.

You'll get responses that ask "what happens to the guy who thinks he's shooting a 4 point on one side deer, and it turns out to be only 3, and therefor illegal?" (For example...whatever your law may turn out to be...)

My answer to that is if you can't tell how many points it has for sure, you probably ought not be shooting it.

In Alaska we have a 50 inch rule on moose, or 3 brow tines. Every year some guy gets busted because he shoots one he swears will be 50, and it tapes out at 49. Too bad. I scouted a big moose 3 years ago. I'd bet you a months pay he was 50...but he only had two brow tines.

I grew up in Nebraska, and some areas there have put in restrictions...my understanding is they're shooting some really nice deer now. All it takes is time for them to get big...get the guys away from shooting every little spike or forkhorn they see and give them a year or two to grow up.

Face it, you have an either sex tag in your pocket...two deer come out, a forkhorn and a doe. Which one gets shot, almost all the time? Yep...the forkhorn. Yet, I would argue that in most cases those forkhorns mean nothing to the guy who shot them - kids, first time hunters excluded. But shooting that forkie takes away a deer that might have been huge had he just had a couple more years...

4. hairy

hairy TS Member

Every year after hunting season here the locals want some type of antler restrictions. "We don't have any big deer" is all you hear.

I think what they want are big deer that stand along the road for them to shoot at.

5. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

I hunt to put some good meat in the freezer. I think some of the best venison for eating is a 1 1/2 yo deer. It tastes as good if it is wearing 8 points or 2. You can't eat horns. The biggest problem is the "hunter" hairy describes. The type of guy who doesn't get 100 yards from his truck to hunt and thinks Bambi's dad should be waiting for him. A big rack is nice but it's not the only thing some hunters need to call a season successful.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get a damn good set of binoculars and use them.

7. dltaman

dltaman TS Member

In Texas, they are going, not to an antler point restriction, but to a antler width restriction. In most counties now, the inside spread has to be 13 inches or greater to be legal. 13 inches is basically outside the ear tips. This allows you to take a 3 or 4 year old 6 or 7 point that isn't going to be anything any better. Whereas, with an antler restriction, say 8 points or better, you can't take these deer and they spread bad genes in the herd. The other down side of antler restrictions is it allows for you to shoot a 1 1/2 year old 8 point. If a white tail has good genes and a good food source, his 2nd set of horns may very well be 8 points but only 11 or 12 inch spread. You don't want to shoot these deer. These are your future nice bucks and what you want breeding your herd. With a 13" inch minimum restriction, these bucks are protected. They'd do the hunters and the deer herd more justice if they went to a similar restriction as they are doing in Texas. Very, very good results in Texas because of this.

8. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I've hunted in a QDM area for the past 4 years. (min 3 points on a side) Locals at first complained, but after the third year the bucks being shot were huge and many records started to show up. The county is now going to vote on extending the QDM and hopes to add some surrounding counties. I'm all for it, it works. Whoever mentioned not shooting unless you could easily count the tines is correct. This past fall I had a nice 6pt. walk out but with the early light and just enough brush I could not see the brow tines clearly, had to let it pass. Only when it was walking away from me did I see it was a shooter, but I don't take Texas heart shots. :>)

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Come to Michigan no points restriction. Some of the largest racks in the country. What we don't get with guns we get with cars. Roadsides littered with dead deer carcuses especially with a thaw.

But remember to get a license before you shoot the record. This years record buck shot with a bow, whoops got his license 2 days after. DNR found out, took rack and guess who is going to court.

Don

10. DJM

DJM Member

I for one will not support the effort. I would like 2 deer for my freezer every year if I can get them. I have 3 or 4 spots where I can hunt deer in central MN. This year I made it out about a dozen times with, bow, rifle, slug shotgun & muzzle loader. On those 12 outings I saw 2 deer. The one I shot was in a thick woods. I saw he had a rack but he never stopped walking, going behind some heavy cover. When he emerged from there he was angling away from me heading for more cover. I shot him and he was in fact an smaller 8 pointer, the exact deer the "Quality Deer Mgmt." people do not want me to shoot.
    But my world is not like the "Outdoor Channel" where herds of deer graze in front of my stand while I leisurely look them over with my binoculars, rifle propped up against the tree. I do bring binoculars, but rarely get time to use them on deer. My weapon is in my hands knowing I may have less than 10 seconds of opportunty the entire season.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like Nevada's approach better. That is to properly limit the tags given out. The down side of the limited tags is that you won't get to go deer hunting every year. The up side is that when you do draw you don't have to compete with a lot of other hunters. In addition to this there is an abundance of deer relative to the number of hunters and the trophy bucks are there because most of the tag holders get trigger happy on the first day and take a small buck.

If you look at this from a Darwininan view point, the hunters tend to take mostly the younger genetically inferior bucks from the herds before they breed leaving the big quality bucks are out there breeding for 3-5 years. If you have everybody and their dog is hunting for the few good bucks then the breeding situation is reversed and the inferior bucks wind up passing on the genetics.

12. d endicott

d endicott Member

Don't let them do it. Oregon has a spike only program that was to be a five year program only....To this day they still have it and it did nothing to improve the herd. I think it is now 15 years in affect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.