1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT another drag racing thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Well, my car is still getting built, but here is one that recently roller out of the shop, My father-in-law and I built and tuned this motor. For a while, the new motor was running the same times as the old motor did. After we narrowed it down to what it could be, we decided to switch the torque converter out for a new one, and this was the results:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mme9z3-sFYs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mme9z3-sFYs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

we begged the owner to bring his wheelie bars, but he forgot to pack them.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

That was a common occurance back when I used to run OutLaw Super Stock, we couldn't run wheely bars, it was against Out Laws rules ... The parachure rule (160 MPH+) was enforced (NHRA) so the cars all looked like street cars with parachutes on the back of them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I use to go to Thornhill back in the mid 70's. They had a sign out front that would not be politically correct today. Something about who they would not allow on the premises!

4. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

All I know is the reaction time on The blue Pinto is far better than the silver wheelie Pinto.He got cha buy abunch---big time.

Sandy Holehouse.

5. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

bad part is, even with the bad RT, the wheelie, and letting out of it to bring the car back down, the silver one outran the blue one. 6.73 letting out vs. 6.92 of the blue car. But as far as R/T goes, this was the first run during time trials on the new setup, I think he just wanted to get a feel for how the car felt instead of outrunning the other guy

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I wasn't even aware Drag Racing was even popular any longer. I remember winning a "A" gas trophy about 6 ft. tall in 1964 in a 59 Vett. The good old days.

7. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

LOL 1/8 mile it would have still been a 9.83 in the 1/4 mile

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Diesel,

What is the Silver Pintos power plant ???

Sandy Holehouse

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That was a he** of a wheelstand to stay in the throttle and keep it under control.

10. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Go to an NHRA national event. Super Stockers do that all day long, A lot of stockers ride out some big wheelies.

11. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Sandy it's a 406 smallblock chevy. But I'm aware Super Stockers do this all the time, but keep in mind this is a bracket car, this motor cost about 33 thousand dollars less than a superstock motor. And it did this off a footbrake with a Powerglide.

Smokey

12. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Diesel very nice work. If I could set up a Pinto like that I would be rocking it day and night.

Some people just gotta "one up" ya all the time. Nice build.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Royce10, quote: <i>"Go to an NHRA national event. Super Stockers do that all day long, A lot of stockers ride out some big wheelies."</i>

Jim van Cleeve, Sr., used to do that all the time with his '67 427 Fairlane. And that ain't a light car.

14. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Thank ya remstar, it was starting to get difficult, but finally it came together.

15. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Little update, the car is sitting back in the garage with some problems, the top driver's side A arm is bent, frame's bent, motor plate is bent, oil pan is crushed on the bottom, steering rack is bent. This all happened on the third run, I didn't get a video of it, but it was a bigger wheelie than the first one.

Smokey

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If all that damage was done on the third wheelie, he better find another builder ... The OutLaws used to do that every run every weekend and didn't do that much damage in an entire season ... Oh well, back to the drawing board ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I agree with you there, I have no idea who did the work on the front suspension, and I'm also not sure how long ago that was, the only part we dealt with was the motor and trans, but what can you expect from stock pinto A-arms? The car is back at our house, we are putting some new tubulaR A-arms on it, and straightening the frame back out, as well as the motor plate, so he can get through the season, then he's either gotta decide on a whole nother car or put his body on a new chassis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.