1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - An A-hole for all Seasons

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bustedemall, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

The same people who rant about "global warming", the "greens", are responsible for this more than anyone. They are the same people who protest any brush clearing, road building, or anything else that would stop these fires from running wild. They are also the same people who were happy with the Yellowstone fires except they wished it would have wiped out the whole park. We need to take back this country from these nutcase groups that have somehow brainwashed so many. Do you think they will still be asking us to quit driving our SUV's since these fires are putting more polution in the air than 50 years of driving could? Maybe they will want to ban trees.

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think they will ban forest fires in the future.

Don

3. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I've been watching the news of the terrrible fires in California for two days now. I've also got cousins and their children who have lost homes in it. So sorry to hear of it and I was wondering if there are rules for the area that requires one to clear the underbrush from areas around the homes during the drought times? I don't have any idea if the homeowners are required to keep the area around their homes cleared of not. Could be something that will have to be addressed in the future. Too late for this time. We are thinking of those people in our prayers. With the Santa Anna winds its pretty much futile to fight the fires. Those winds can trap a crew of professional firefighters in a few seconds.Lets hope the weather will change and help those areas out with rain. They need the break. God bless those people and their plight. Dan

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

That ignorant bitch Barbara Boxer said that if the National Guard wasn't deployed in Iraq, the fires wouldn't have been allowed to grow out of control, because there would have been more resources available to fight them!

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Saw on the news a while back where a woman in Ca. was issued a 375,000 fine for trimming an oak tree which presented a hazard to her home. She received a letter from the elec co. or someone saying such. They showed pictures of the tree and it looked pretty good to me. Cutting Oaks in Ca. evidently is a no no. Whats a person to do.

Gerald

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Ried is right!

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

The coasts of eastern and southern united states has hurricanes,,,,Did you gentlemen know that????? Why does a person build in such an area????

The coastal and inner ranges of california has faults,earthquakes,fires,mudslides,,,,,Did you gentlemen know that??? Why does a person build in such an area????

From beyond the time of the Chumash and those before,,,the winds have blown hot off the mojave and through the passes,,,fire----has always been,,always!!!! And then????? then comes the winter rains!!! then comes the mud!!!! It has always been this way!!!!! From americas first person on------!!!

AKA Grammie............

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I recall a few years back during another California fire season, when the tv news aired a report on this one sub-division having every house EXCEPT ONE burned to the ground. The only surviving house was right in the middle of the burned out area and it stood like a tower above all the other ruined houses. The reporter interviewed the home's owner. He was an immigrant from somewhere in Asia as I recall. He was busy washing down the ash and soot from his house. The only damage he suffered was some blistered paint around his windows and melted lawn chairs on his patio.

The reporter asked why his house was untouched while everyone else's burned to the ground. The owners reply was that he did his research and found the fire history for the area and built with it in mind. He had a ceramic tile roof, concrete or something similar walls, several inches thick, metal shutters on his windows, metal doors and he cleared off all of the brush and scrub for a hundred yards or so around his house. No trees, bushes or such, just grass and closely cropped grass only. The end result was virtually no damage to his house and he moved back in while there was still embers in the area. I do not recall if he sprayed water or anything else on his house. I also seem to recall that he mentioned that his neighbors liked to poke fun at him for being such a worrier.

Now if he could see the danger and what to do to minimize the risk, why couldn't the native born citizens?

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

From a person who lives in the Midwest, Michigan to be exact, I see this type of thing time and time again on my TV. My wife and I simply cannot believe the number of people who live in areas that they shouldn't and the sympathy that we are supposed to feel for their plight. New Orleans, other flood planes of the Missisippi River, Southern California, Near Mt. Kilauea in Hawaii. We keep seeing footage of homes burned by lava flows, burned by brush fires out of control, flooded by rising river water from heavy rains or just from being stupid enough to think living below sea level is a good idea and getting socked by a hurricane. After awhile, you just kind of shake your head and say, "you can't argue with stupid". They have these fires every year and it's not news anymore. I am sorry to hear that anyone lost their home or God forbid, their life, but come on now, it's not like they did not know it was coming. Living in these areas is like playing Russian roulette. You play long enough, the gun is eventually going to go off. Don't look so surprised when it finally does.

Jeff

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

if the weather ever reverses itself in calif & the torrential downpours come for an extended period we will be reading about all the pour souls who bought & or built homes in dry river beds. dwain

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Dan,

Yes there are both laws and recommendations for brush clearing around homes here is California. The local fire departments drive the rural and semi-rural neighborhoods every year and notices to clear weeds/brush are sent to those with obvious problems. If your property is not cleared in a timely manner, the fire department can have it cleared and the property owner sent the bill which if unpaid becomes a lien on the property.

Building codes have also been updated to ban flammable roofs, require boxed eves, etc. However, it is true that the tree huggers have gooten ordinances passed that are at cross purposes to fire safety. Google "Los Angeles Oak Tree Ordinance" to see what I mean.

Unless you have seen first hand, like I have, the power of a firestorm driven by 50+ mile per hour winds, you really can't appreciate the word inferno. Many houses we lose here are not the rural houses with brushland around but plain old subdivision houses on 600 sq ft lots with swimming pools in the back yard. Once a firestorm starts in these neighborhood it will burn lots of houses and it is pretty well unstoppable regardless of the efforts of the fire department.

BTW, I gladly trade having to worry about my house burning up every few years to freezing my ass off every winter in Michigan. :)

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If memory serves me correctly, wasn't it in Bush's first term that the US Forest Service wanted to cut fire brakes somewhere around 1/4 mile wide so we wouldn't have all these fires. The Dem's. and tree huggers along with Green Peace and others put up a stink because of the Spotted Owl and other birds and this is the result. Call me crazy but I think that the fire break would have given at least some of these people a chance. This one is the only fire with the winds that were so strong that the embers carried over a mile. I watched one man complain yesterday on CNN or FOX I can't remember that the federal governments job was to keep him safe when even he did not clearcut his own land around his house as he was asked to do for just this reason. Go figure.

Above has some of what I was talking about. What's the Spotted Owl going to do now?

JMHO...Jerbear

13. grammie

grammie TS Member

dbc61451:

If california has a "normal weather pattern" winter this year,,,,then those areas burned will all experiance mudslides this year,,,and the ground saturated will be overgrown again soon as spring comes,,,and as spring turns to summer the desert begins to roast,,day in day out,,an oven,,then the yearly weather pattern changes,,and the santa anna winds blow the heat from the desert towards the coast and those winds and the heat virtually "bleach" any moisture out of any living thing,,then a bit of lightning,,some spark,,a thrown cigarette,,,,and the whole process starts again.....as sure as the sun will rise,,california will burn,,shake,,and attempt to throw itself into the ocean,,,that is the way of things........

AKA Grammie.............

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Back in the early 70's, a local half-a*#ed contractor moved his house building business to California. A few od his workers initially went with him, but eventually moved back.

One came to work for me a few years later. I asked him what ever became of this guy. He said he didn't know, but when he got to California, the workers really got cheated. Wages, benefits, expenses, anything you can think of, this guy cheated them on.

He told me this guy was building homes in the hills surrounding well-off communities. He was paying off locals to pass his shoddy workmanship.

One home he built, slid down the mountain during a storm, and revealed the poor work. Shallow footers were to blame. He was sued to the max, and lost his license. The inspectors were fired. That didn't stop him.

He filed bankruptcy, but continued to build for a developer. Same old shoddy work, but he was cheap.

Maybe some of the homes lost in the mudslides and shown on TV were his.

Glad he is gone from here!

Danny

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I say screw the spotted owls!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.