1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT AL Teknys Gold 391 three shell jamamatic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by w762nato, Jun 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w762nato

w762nato Member

Using my AL Teknys Gold sporting 391. I have not had many second shell malfunctions when used with only one in the magazine the odd second shell catches on top of chamber say 7 in 900 rounds.

Last weekend I tried a three bird event, at almost every station it jammed double feeding the third and second shell at the same time. You need three hands to clear the gun when this happens. Both Gun-clubs and top-guns shells the same so at least it doesn’t discriminate. Gun has less than 1000 shells thru it could something be wore out or simply the wrong gun for this game? Browning silver and 1100’s in the group all functioned fine as well as two 870’s. The other 391 did the second shell jam 3 times in the 100 bird event.
    Jan

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Replace the shell carrier with one from a 303 or 390 (curved) and shoot the gun wet with Breakfree CLP. Your problems will be solved. Also, Federal ammo is a BIG no-no with an autoloader. It burns dirty and will gunk up your gun in no time flat.

3. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

they are as you say jamamatic guns! sold mine" GOOD RIDDENS"

4. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

Use Tron's advice.....and be happy. You won't get a better auto. Didn't say it WAS better just none better than it. Have em all....

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Winchester Super X1

;-)~

6. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Your gun is trying to tell you that target shotguns are only supposed to shoot two shells!

No..really. Beretta 391 are the most reliable auto available. Thats the reason 95% of the autos that are used in sporting and skeet are Berettas. If yours is having cycling problems something is wrong with it or it needs a good cleaning (esp the recoil spring and tube).

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been shooting 303's for over 25 years and not one jam. I can put any brand or any load in them and cleaning is not an issue either

8. sebaka

sebaka Member

I have put a 391 through the grinder with a mix of 1 OZ reloads. (Hodgon powder) Remington Gun Club factory loads. Estate Factory, and Winchester AA factory. It finally burped with the reloads after about 3500 plus rounds. It would still cyle factory shells. A quick cleaning of the gas piston, ports etc. and it was shucking shells again. You may have a problem with that particular gun. Good luck

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It is a simple fix. Replace the straight carrier with a bent one from a 390 and then run the gun wet with a good oil. Kroil,Break Free or PB Blaster and your jammomatic will be your best friend. Try replacing a part on an O/U for 40.00 to cure any problems. Won't happen. Plus the 350.00 annual service those 10,000.00 guns need will be a distant memory. Keep the service fees andf buy a new gun every three years. Use the rest for shells.

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with mine and I did what Tron advised! I sprayed the gun with CLR and shot it "WET" and had no problems even with 7/8 oz loads!!If the wet thing won't work then get the curved carrier.

PJ

11. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

I've shot my 391 parallel target(probably close to 8000 rds through it) for doubles trap, skeet, sporting, flurrys, etc. I've never had a problem with cycling except when using light reloads and REALLY cold weather. I don't have an "upgraded" bent carrier either. I've shot dozens of different shells through it with the same results. I use Breakfree CLP and keep a decent amount applied. Cleaning isn't a big deal as I've gone through 500-1000 before cleaning without a hiccup.

12. w762nato

w762nato Member

I don't expect perfection, but a different carrier would stop the double feeding?
    I wore out an 11/87, not the best designed gun but never once did it try to load two shells at once even magnum buckshot with a extended magazine.

Anyway where is the best place to get a 303 or 390 carrier is it one piece or two?
    Thanks Jan

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Cole gunsmith in Maine has them for about 40.00. Just order a 390 carrier. It can be purchased in jeweled as well but they are about 70.00. Run it wet and your gun will run for weeks before it needs cleaned.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Unless you have the tool to remove and install the carrier lever (can be tricky), I would buy the carrier with lever installed. I think that runs around $90. There are also some folks (myself included) who have made jigs to put the bend in the carrier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.