1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Adhesive for plastic

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdogs, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I need to find an adhesive which will bond two pieces of plastic. The pieces are fence pickets and crossbars. The fence(actually the gate) is one I purchased at Home Depot and the size I need is no longer made. I tried JB Weld in the past but that only held for a short while and came apart again. I can clamp the work.

I am grateful for any help.

2. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

Search urethane supply. this companyhhas many adhesives and systems for plastic repair. More importantly, they can help you identify what material you are working with. ABS, polythis, polythat, etc.
    Good luck, Barney

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Since it's fencing, my initial guess would be that's it's vinyl and that plastic welding is about the only guaranteed way to join 2 pieces of that.

Morgan

4. steele

steele TS Member

Check the local auto body supply store. Ask for "Fusor" brand adhesive for plastics. It's used extensively in the plastic bumper covers on new cars. It's not cheap, but it works real good.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You do not need adhesive. Use a soldering iron where the pieces come together. This will melt the pieces of plastic together. Just like welding melts two pieces of metal together. Before doing the gate take two pieces of scrap and see if it works on the material you have. HMB

6. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

What I do with plastic fence parts are to trim 2x4's to slind snug inside the parts that are to joined together,and use trim head screws to hold together. If fussy with exposed screw heads just paint screw heads with white paint...Nuc

7. wrzone

wrzone Member

Some of the fences are made with (PVC) same as pipe you might try pipe glue

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Get some of that tube putty. You cut off a slice (green), roll it in you hand until grey, and use it. The stuff will hold anyting together.

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Thanks guys. I think I will glue it AND screw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.