1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - AC coil cleaner?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Starting to get hot so it is about time to fire up the AC. In the past years I have gone to my local hardware store and purchased some stuff that was just called - coil cleaner - or something like that. It is cleaner to spray on the AC coils and let stand for a minute or two then wash off with a garden hose. The local hardware store went under and the clowns at the big box stores have no idea what I'm talking about.

Thought about just using bleach but next door neighbor says not to use bleach on the condenser fins as it will cause corrosion on fins.

I guess just plain soap and water will do? I've got some "409" cleaner, is that okay.

Anybody know what is okay?

Thanks in advance.

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

simple green and rinse with a pressure washer. be careful not to over do it with the pressure washer as to not bend the fins on the coil. since the air flows from the outside to in, it is best to wash from inside to out. You may have to take the top of the condenser off to do this.

Bob

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I clean and repair fishing reels and would advise you not to use simple green or purple stuff as it contains acid and will eat into the aluminum. If used you must be very careful to get it all off. I have seen the results on a number of aluminum spools and such that were damaged by those products. Jackie B.

PS. I helped manage a True Value store and they normally stock the spray cans of coil cleaner or can get it for you.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The 409 or fantastic. Liquid Tide mix 1/2 and 1/2 with water will work. NO PRESSURE washer. Even a water hose be carefull

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

You may want to hire a pro and let the tech go thru the entire unit checking the referigerant side along with the high and low voltage wiring and the componets.
    Although dirt is a easy fix and a constant and yes it does attack operation the other items are also imporant and generally over looked (out of sight out of mind).Good Luck, Jim Zimak

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

AC service techs have a cleaner that is a mild acid and is washed off with water after it gets it's job done. Had an aquanitence that was an AC tech that used the stuff to clean up the aluminum on his pontoon boat and it came out looking like new. I might suggest one of the 'orange' cleaners as they are slightly acidic, just be sure and flood everthing with clear water. Pick up one of those coil combs while you are at it and use it to straighten up any deformed fins if there are many deformed ones your unit will not run with its intended efficiency. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.