1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT ABS problem 2006 Silverado

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chopperman, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopperman

chopperman Member

ABS engages prematurely. Any suggestions? chris

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Chris, I checked with a auto repair data base for tech service bulletins. it states, "customer complaint of premature activation of ABS at low speeds 5mph." Most common cuase is an increase air gap between the sensor and thr hub ring teeh. There is a procedure to follow that includes checking voltages at the sensors, using a plastic feeler gauge to measure air gap and checking suspension and wheel bearing play. If you'd like more info send me an email and i can print out the bulletin and sned it to you. I'm out of town for a few days starting this Friday morning.

3. emm2

emm2 Member

The ABS usually engages right at the end of a stop. Just remove the front wheel speed sensors and take some sandpaper to the hub assembly where the speed sensor bolts down. Rust builds up and changes the air gap and causes the ABS to engage. This will fix your problem. Also check to make sure the bearings aren't loose, this can also cause the same problem.

4. chopperman

chopperman Member

I'm taking it to the dealer Fri. Just needed a heads-up on what I might expect.
    Thanks alot. Chris

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Beware of some steering problems !! I have a serious clicking problem in the steering and I have to get this checked very soon . Also the same in a 2001 Impala which is way out of warrantee but it has been addressed but no solution . Out of warrantee and up to me to pay for repairs to solve this problem . Shame on me for letting it go so long !!!

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Silverados of that vintage (I have one) are plagued with steering shaft, abs sensor, and front brake problems. I'm not sorry that I got the extended warranty again......it sucks having to buy insurance against crap that happens..and stuff that they only warranty for short periods.

Didn't buy extended for my wife's Edge. Doubt that I'll need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.