1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT--AA HS 28 gauge hulls.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I'm reloading 28 ga. AAHS hulls. Been using the same 300 hulls this summer, and they've been reloaded 5 or 6 times. They still look and load great, and I expect at least another 4 or 5 reloads out of them. I have no experience reloading STS 28 ga. hulls, but I've heard 5 or 6 loads is the most you can expect out of them.

There are two 28ga AAHS hulls, the old new ones which are shorter, and the new new ones which are longer. With the shorter hull (and even with the longer hull), it's tough to use Winchester AAHS wads and Unique. It's just too tight a fit, and you need a denser powder like Longshot or HS6. I don't have this problem with Claybuster AAHS wads, and you can throw any 28 ga. powder under a PT28 without fit problems.

Michael

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Been loading them for year, and Slick is right, the Longshot works but it is even a tight fit in the new hulls with the HS wads. They hold up OK, their just a pain to load. When they first came out, powder/wad combinations were limited, but now they've added some new combinations. I've been happy with the Longshot performance. Old AA28 wads don't work in most loads, too long.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Alliant's new 20/28 powder is suppoed to work well in the WW HS 28 ga hull, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm still using the older CF hull.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Using HS6 and Red Dusters in all my 28's except Federal, there i have to use the Fed wad.

HS last for many loads, haven't tossed any yet.

HM

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Halfmile - No problems with Red Dusters in AAHS28? None of the dreaded 'powder migration' or 'blow-by'.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat - Are loading that combo in AAHS28 hulls?

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pat - I see that earlier post now. Good information tho. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.