1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT A Eulogy For Mugs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

THE END OF AN ERA
    It has been almost two weeks now since my precious Mugs, the dog who was the light of my life and who set an example every day of how to live in difficult circumstances with a smile on one's face, the dog who was a better man than I will ever be, was slaughtered by a Pit Bull. Mugs was blind and deaf and defensless, and he lost his life, and I lost him, because I let my guard down at a time when I shouldn't have. I will go to my grave bearing the guilt for my failure of diligence.
    In his youth Mugs was the most magnificent bird dog anyone could ever want to see. Blessed with unbelievable strength and stamina, I handled him to a long run of 100% successful hunts for hunters participating in Ca DFG pheasant hunts. He would hunt all morning, then all afternoon, then a 3rd hunt in the evening, never quitting, doing whatever it took to find yet another bird for those hunters who couldn't hit their ass with both hands.
    He was my first bird dog, the dog I learned to train on, and my first success story in the gun dog arena. A wildling when I rescued him from a shelter, he had no idea that he was a pointing breed dog, and when turned loose on a planted pigeon he would simply run like the wind until he hit scent, then move in and flush the bird. It took me a year to make him realise that he was a POINTING dog, not a flusher, but once he began to "get it" he became a capable and graceful hunter. We won the first field trial I entered him in, the first trial for him as a hunting dog and me as a handler. I walked on air for a month. Then, to show that it wasn't a fluke, we took first place in a two day hunting contest, wresting it away from a pro trainer who had established himself in first place on the second run of Saturday morning and who held it all weekend until our run, the next to last run of the event on Sunday afternoon. These contests are won or lost by a handful of seconds, and Mugs and I took it by four. Not too long after that Mugs went deaf. It is something that just happens in some dogs. Then he went blind as well. The world's best animal eye doctor, working at that time at the Helen Woodward Animal Center, explained that the condition was extremely painful and to begin preparing myself because Mugs would have to be put down very soon due to the pain. I took my precious little boy home and fell down on my knees and explained to my Lord and Master that I could accept losing Mugs, but not yet. I begged for Mugs' life. To that eye expert's stunned amazement Mugs went on as if nothing had changed. Deaf and blind, his zeal for life showed every day as he doggy grinned his way through whatever the day brought, announcing loudly and often that he was the Monarch, the King, and would you other lowlife mutts please desist from approaching his highness in a familiar manner, or disturbing his esteemed repose. This still powerful happy-boy underwent a number of operations to remove tumors that would have killed him, and I never regretted the money I spent keeping him going. He was my child now, the sun in my face, the joy of my life, having watched him change from magnificent in his abilities to magnificent in his helplessness.
    Then came the day when I let myself become distracted with the job at hand, knowing there was potential danger about, but stupidly assuming it would never seek to harm my defensless old friend. At a time when I should have had my caution in hyper drive I turned my back for ten minutes, let him out of my sight for ten minutes, busy and happy with the work I was accomplishing. The day was beautiful, the sun was shining, and I was making something good happen. What could ruin it?
    After a few minutes of not seeing my boy I grew concerned, not worried but just wanting to know where he was so I went looking about 100 feet away at the last place I had seen him. What I found showed me instantly that I had made a terrible miscalculation, and that I had let my most precious possession down when he needed me to be keeping a close eye on him. My little boy was sitting up, clearly in shock, his body torn in numerous places, struggling to get back on his feet. I swept him up in my arms and knew already that it was too late. I was high up in the high desert on a Sunday afternoon. Wrong place, wrong time to get him to timely help. I hoped he might hang on as he was breathing strongly. What I didn't know and couldn't see was that although the wide vinyl covered nylon collar he wore was torn and gouged and very nearly saved his life, a neck vein was punctured and he was slowly bleeding to death internally. He died in my arms racing toward the nearest emergency vet clinic, his face covered with my kisses at the end, caught in a traffic jam that cost us twenty or 30 precious minutes.
    His ashes rest in his little cedar box now with my other babies, but un-like the others, his ashes bring me no comfort. He was old and long in the tooth and I knew our time together would one day end, and I was prepared to accept that, but not his violent and un-timely death. Time goes on and I have four other worthy dogs who have no one but me, and for them I will go on, but it's going to take some serious time before I come to a place of peace about Mug's death. He is with his pal Zach who preceded him by about two months, and this I know. My Lord and Master, the God from Whom everything in the universe came, is keeping Mugs for me, in his new body with his rippling muscles and perfect eyes and ears, awaiting the day when I will rejoin him in a world where there is no more death. I know this as well. Neither Mugs nor myself bear that Pit Bull any personal animosity. That Pit had no choice about what it would be. That choice was made by evil men who bred that dog to be what she was, a killer, and to them goes the shame.

2. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Hey Pal...

I'm truly sorry.

3. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

That's a wonderful tribute to your friend, and I'm very sorry for your loss.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wireguy, I'm sorry to hear of Muggs and your loss. Those of us that love dogs know your pain and feel for you. Good dogs such as Muggs make memories to be cherished and remembered.

I think under the circumstances, I'd feel as waterhouselake does also! Hap

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

My heartfelt condolences go out to you.You will see him again at the Rainbow Bridge.I lost my "Butch" last January and I am still grieving.He was a 122lb.German Shepherd with a personality that was un-rivaled.All the best to you.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

wireguy,

Mugs I'm sure felt the same way about his faithful master as you do for him.... Please don't beat yourself up as try as we might, we are not in control.

All the best.

Sincerely,

Guy

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

No two ways about it, the pit needs to go away. It has nothing to do with personal animosity, she is a killer because she was designed to be and she will kill again and again, and it won't stop with just other dogs. I warned her owner in the most straightforward terms that if she didn't put this dog down she would undergo a tragedy that would make my loss of Mugs look like a very good day. I probably might as well have gone and talked to the sagebrush. It's like talking to a leftist. You can't reach them with logic or facts. To this lady's credit she rescues many good dogs and works hard at it and sacrifices much doing it. She simply cannot understand that there are bad dogs for whom the most kind thing you can do is give them a peaceful painless end.

8. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

So sorry for your loss. I wish there was something comforting to say but there is not. Just remember the better times. John

9. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I have to admit that my glasses "fogged up" reading your post. People that have that kind of love for a dog are indeed blessed, those that don't will never know what they are missing. Take care, my friend, and know that your beloved friend was as lucky to have you as you were to have him.
    Ron Frazier

10. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I am very sorry for your pain. To share the life of a good Dog many people will never know. Be thankful for the time together and hold the other four tight. Mugs knew what he had in you and lived a happy life.

I posted this in the first post but it got deleted, I assume because the picture didnt come thru.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The only way I could get through the death of my big yellow lab "Mac" was to write about our relationship. He was my best friend, and I still miss him. I'm sorry for you.

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Mugs is dead....Long live Mugs!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917 (Irish setter owner/breeder for the past 29 yrs.)

13. TC

TC TS Member

Wireguy, My heartfelt condolences. Tony

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thank you, all of you, for your kind comments. I think I needed to write this eulogy as an act of closing out the last of the things I needed to do for Mugs before I could feel like I had completed my responsibilities toward him. Your words have been comforting and I appreciate those of you who have shared with your doga what I have with Mugs. wireguy

15. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Ther is really no such thing as a bad dog, jus " Bad Owners"
    I have what could be classed as a pitbull , he is my constant companion, goes to every shotgun meet, and is well behaved, I would not let him be agressive
    BUT , a looney soort of mentality seems to get hold of these sort of dogs, and we all know the results

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

6878mm- There are Staffordshire Bull Terriers and then there are pit bulls.....Usually the difference is the owner/trainer. Sincerely.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

Wireguy, my heart goes out to you! I loved, loved, my big Irish Setter, my red dog, it has been 30 years and I still get all choked up just thinking about him. Still miss him, wish he was here. Cried more for him than I did my EX'S!

18. 6878mm

6878mm Member

JB---- nerver a truer word spoken

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Thanks for sharing that Wireguy! I know the feeling having been there myself!

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

wireguy, I couldn't get the one posted to work. This one did and I enjoyed your pics!! Thanks for sharing guy! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.