1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- A Bentley??????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by over the hill, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I know a lot of you guys are car nuts so you might get a laugh out of this one.

I was coming home a few days ago and was getting ready to merge on the Outerbelt. I glanced in my rear mirror and noticed an unusual sedan following me.

A closer look revealed a Bentley badge.

He dropped back and as I merged to the left lane, Whooosh, around me he came.

He had to be doing close to 100 or more and he was gone.

I remember years ago when I used to read Tom McCahills articles in Hot Rod mag. cracking on the English cars as being slugs and great if you have fond memories of a 36 Packard.

What the hell was that thing?

A friend of my son says it was probably an all wheel drive 400HP Turbo???

Whatever, it had acceleration and plenty of it.

Regards....Gerald

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

Bentley Continental Supersports

6 liter, 600+ hp, 0-60 mph in 3.7 sec., top speed 204 mph...

A classy beast! John

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Any interst in a Bently project car? I have a 53 Model R steel Body RHD for sale It needs work but it is all there. 4.3 liter ^cyl

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bruce maybe we should trade my project Vette for your Bently. Bulge

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Twin turbocharged W-12 Continental SuperSports has 621 HP. Even the "Regular" Continental GT still has 600 HP. It'll pass you.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Bentley's were the first super sports cars in the 1920's. They were the Corbra's and Vett's of their day. Seems they've made a return since BMW purchased the brand. I read somewhere a Bentley with a V-12 twin supercharged BMW motor rated out of the showroom @ 1000 HP is in the future. WOW......

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Timb99 - can you say "sour grapes"?

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In the last month I have seen 3 in my town. I don't know if they were passing through or they are in town.

9. Steve W

BMW owns Rolls Royce, VW owns Bentley, that twin turbo W-12 is made by VW, that's why it's a W-12 i/o V-12.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Steve, I thought it was the other wat around.

11. Steve W

shot410ga,

In 1998 VW won the fight with BMW for buying Rolls Royce & Bently together for $120,000 million USD, they found out BMW owns the name and logo of Rolls Royce, it was a major joke in the European auto history.

BMW MADE them use BMW engines in their cars since, during that period, Bentley made green badge & red badge to distinguish different engines. The market didn't react very well, sales was sluggish, finally VW work out a deal with BMW in 2002 to "sell back" Rolls Royce to BMW, starting 2003, BMW took over production of Rolls Royce completely, and the first time in history, Rolls Royce & Bentley are officially separated.

Since VW got rid of BMW influence, they start making the new generation Bentleys, the Continental GT with over 400 HP at half of the price of Arnage. That's why you see 10 times more Bentley on the street from 10 years ago.

Today, the only existing model from original RR/Bentley era is the Azure, costing twice as much as a new generation baby Bentley.

12. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

If I had the money ($300,000?) I'd buy a late 1920's Bentley Speed Six; I know I couldn't afford a 4 1/2 Liter Bentley!

Bentley: "The fastest truck in the world" (Signore Bugatti)

LA in MA

13. samiam03

samiam03 Member

I sometimes consult to high performance and exotic car shops. Recently there was a Maybach up on the lift. Mechanics opinion - bad alternator. When the alternator was ordered we were all shocked at the wholesale price of $32,000.00
    seems the alternator is water cooled and the priming process has to be done by Mercedes for 12,000.00. so all told with labor $50k

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If I recall, doesnt Jay Leno have a 20 or 30s Bentley with a huge inline 6 cyl. engine?

Regards....Gerald

15. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You can see Jay's entire collection on the link above including all his Bentleys.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vg bentley shotgun forum