1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT 9mm Ammo Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by primed, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I just tried bowling pin shooting for the first time. The rules at the club state NO full metal jacket. Went to three stores yesterday and that was all I could find in 9mm. There was some Remington MC which is described on the back of the box as Metal Case. It looked like FMJ to me. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between MC and FMJ and what that difference might be?

Thanks

Bob

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

No difference, just different terminology for the same thing.

3. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

From the few times that I have shot bowling pins, FMJ or metal case bullets just bounced off the pins and would not reliably knock them down. We always used Hollow Points as the edge of the hollow point would grab the pins and knock them off the table.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

bob the metal jackets glance real bad on the pins unless you reload or but in bulk fed hydro's are out of the price range look up Michagan ammo they sell bulk 9mm's rick

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have shot a lot of pins and can tell you that anything under .40 cal is too small and cannot be relied on to get the pins off the table with a single hit. The winning-est combo is a reliable/accurate 1911 in .45acp running 230g bullets @ 1,000fps. That's a serious +P loading and you need to set the gun up for it. Bullet style is not as important as velocity and weight. The .44 mags make a good showing too but recoil is a handicap.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Hollow point ammo would seem to fit the rule as stated. But your state might prohibit hollow point ammo ( NJ does ). The most common lead bullet pistol ammo would be the 38 special. I've shot 148 grain wadcutters, in a S&W revolver, and they worked just fine, and are inexpensive, especially if you reload. HMB

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

When I shot bowling pins, only the 9 pin event was shot with minor calibers and the pins were set on the back of the table to make it easier to knock them off.

Some company used to make .45 bullets just for Pin shooting. They looked like "claws" of soft lead on the tips.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are going to shoot this game,you may as well start reloading.

I would suggest a 147 gr HP loaded to around 900 fps. Such a load is VERY controllable, and will do the job if you do yours.

Slower powders work better in the 9X19, especially with Glock and Sigarms pistols, and the heavier bullets. Accurate Arms #7 is a world class 9X19 powder. Unique, and others close to Unique's burn speed work well.

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the responses.

The way our club plays the game, the table has 4 rows of 5 spots. If you shoot .22, you set the pins on the 5 spots closest to the back edge. The second row from the back is .38 and 9mm if I remember correctly. The third row is .357, .40 and 10mm. The front row is for .41 and .44 mag. I can't recall which row the .45 shoot from. All pins have to go off the back of the table. There are only two classes, auto and revolver witht he auto limited to 10 rds per magazine. I don't know if this is standard or if there even is a standard. All I know for sure is that it was fun.

Found some lead round nose reloads at sportmanswarehouse.com for 180.00 per thousand. Guess I'll go with that.

Thanks

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.