1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- 7.3 Diesel Hard to Start-OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jeffprigge, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Hello, my was doing same thing , replaced the soleniod that sends power to glow plugs , sorry i dont know the name of it . what was explained to me was the glow plugs are not getting hot enough, so the engine just cranks because the cylinder is not hot enough to egnite the fuel. hope this helps. Jeff

2. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Before I can diagnose your problem I need to know what year your truck is.

Dave

3. dward

dward Member

I have a 7.3 and had the same problem and for me it was the glow plugs. There was actually a recall/fix related to a connecting harness to the glow plugs that is under the valve covers. I used to get the check engine lite. Since they replaced the harness I haven't had another problem. It has to be either fuel or glow plugs and I'd guess it's your glow plugs. Check with your dealer about the harness replacement. It's covered under a recall.

Dan

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Try replacing the relay switch. {It looks like a solniod on top of the block}It tells the glow plugs to fire. I have replaced this part at least 8 times in ten years. Now my glow plugs are out again so I just plug the thing in every evening,It's the only downfall to this engine, It's been an ongoing battle since I bought It new. The cam sensor Is also a weak link {don't take It to the dealer they will stroke you for about$500 for a few minutes work} the part is not that expensive or that hard to change[cam sensor}. Can be bought through International Harvester for a fraction of the cost.

Srong engine and hard worker mine has 360,000 rough miles on It.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I guess we were typing at the same time.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I put my block heater cord on a timer to save on energy It clicks on at 4:eek:o am.

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Very easy on my 97 It's in plain sight and just 2 small mounting bolts and a few wiring nuts. A five minute job.

8. dward

dward Member

I believe I did get the check engine light. I don't know what wouldn't trip the sensors, but it sounds like DB3006 might be more in the know. I have a super chips tuner that also reads diagnostics, so I use it to read the problem codes when things weren't right. Mine is also a 2000 so the harness problem/recall should be the same. If you go to a dealer they should replace/fix it under that recall. It turns out the harnesses would actually come apart and the fix is a clip that holds it together so it can't come apart. If you know anyone with a diagnostic code reader it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if you have any codes showing up that aren't tripping the idiot lites.

I don't know anything about the solenoid mentioned above, but I did change the CPS. Mine would die driving down the road and by cycling the ingition off and on it would restart, and by changing the CPS the problem went away.

Good luck - Dan

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My cam sensor would let the truck start, travel about a mile then quit...just like it ran out of fuel. It would restart, but would get progressively worse, to the point then it would start and stay running.

I then had a problem with hard starts. It was the gizmo that fed power to the glow plugs.

Luckily all was under warranty. Approx 70,000-99k miles. I had a 100k extended warranty.

I did have another problem with the fuel system not delivering to the cylinders. I don't know what they did at that time...that was under warranty also.

I've got 156k on mine now....new ball joints, alternator, shocks, brakes, and a new set of rubber.

Doug

10. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

wow !!!!! rmy , no a friend has garage bus. he does it . you should be able to do it , someone said here it is just a couple of mounting bolts and some wires to change. mine is a 1999

11. mono1393

mono1393 Member

I replaced the glow plug. Solved the problem.

12. DB3006

DB3006 Member

With the powerstroke it could be several different things. But what you really need to do is get it on a scan tool. You could have weak battries causing a slow crank or the IPR valve could be sticking or you could have a cracked pick up tube in your high pressure oil resivor. Sticking poppet valves in the injectors could cause this problem poor quailty engine oil the list goes on.
    So it would be in your best intrest to get it on the scan tool. I work for a large idpendent diesel shop in the MidWest and we would be happy to help.
    E-mail me at the address.

Dave

13. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I've got the 99 and my batteries checked weak, have not had a problem but they found it through routine checkup. I had the BG engine and injector program done and this thing runs like a new truck, has 86,500 on it.
    ftlupton

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Interior corrosion of those big ASS battery terminals have also caused me issues that were hard to diagnose. I finaly cut them out and replaced with new hardware, with great results.

15. joshif

joshif TS Member

You don't need glow plugs at 60 deg. go to Dieselstop.com and ask there. If you have some mechanical ability you can fix it yourself.I have a 97 and the most common thing with your symptom is the high pressure oil reservour leaking oil back through the o-rings of the IPR into the oil pan and you have to crank it long to refill the res. then it will power the injectors and it will fire up. There is a pipe plug on top of the res. The res. sits right in front above the water pump right on top center under that stupid metal Powerstroke advertising plate(you have to take it off to get to the res.). It has a gauge sensor screwed into it and the pipe plug. Right on the top. Take out the plug and see how much oil is in there,it should be within an inch from the top. Do this after it's been sitting to replicate your routine.If it's low fill it up with oil within an inch,put in the plug and crank her up. It should fire-up like normal.The FIX? Get a book or go on the site and find out how to remove the IPR, Injection Pressure Regulator,go get an o-ring kit and fix it. If that isn't your problem I'd say make sure BOTH batteries are good and you have clean terminals assuming it runs and starts ok after your morning fiasko.

16. joshif

joshif TS Member

ps, if the res. is low and it won't start the first time check if is low again and keep filling it until it fires.Then get the o-ring kit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.