1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT 45acp Race Gun..How fast????????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Nothing to do with trapshooting.. but I just completed a wide body 45 acp..small Wilson Comped Race Gun.. When I got it timed and tuned..I could put 6 shells in the air at one time before the first hit the ground.. Having never seen one shot rapidly in real life.. is that good,bad,or about average?????
    Happy 4th.. Mike

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to shoot really fast get a S&W model 10 revolver and shoot it double action. HMB

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

If ya really want speed, shoot a single action.

Gne J

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I have no real need to shoot fast.. I double tap fast enough..and hope I never need to.. But.. trying to help some of my 1911 buddies and not having a "gauge".. I don't know if I'm doing good..and a racegun built by a "Pro" puts 10 shells in the air..at one time.. or if I'm right in there with the best of them.. I tried to reach Ross.. but he's out of loop right now.. All Good.. Mike

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hippie.. I once had a good conversation with a single action shooter.. He basically said a 1911 was dead slow.. He dumped his entire cylinder in what sounded like one long shot.. WOW..

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Uh...do ya suppose shooter skill has anything to do with it?

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Mike, the fact that "a racegun built by a pro puts 10 shells in the air" has nothing to do with the gun, if it is built reliable in the first place. It has all to do with the action of the trigger. How fast ya pull the trigger relates to the empties in the air more than the fact that ya are shooting a "race" gun or stock gun. I can take a stock Ruger auto and make it sound like a full auto. Dunno how many empties in the air. That all depends on the angle ya hold the gun too. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

Gne J

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Buzz..I did ask what now seems to be a stupid question.. Of course it does..But I was shooting as quickly as I could.. Not worrying about a target.. just shooting as rapidly as I could.. Now.. rapid fire is not my thing..but I do consider my abilities with a 1911 to be as average as most week-end shooters.. Not the pro's..just Joe average.. As I don't even know any top of the game combat shooters.. I have to bar..so I don't know if I've reached it..I guess my question should have been.. how many shells can a shooter put in the air at one time with a 1911 in 45acp..and I'd see where I fit in that equasion... All Good.. Mike

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Thanks Guys.. You've answered my question.. I ran 200 rounds of everything I could throw at it..from 185's to 230's.. round nose,semi-wadcutters,flat point.. lead,jacketed.. and it ran flawlessly.. Clean,crisp 2.5 pound trigger.. But.. what I'm still learning is how the weight of the slide.. amount of lockup in the barrel lugs,weight of the Comp.. and how well the Comp works..as well as the poundage of the recoil spring.. and the contour of the firing pin stop.. all reduces the speed of the slide..

I see people lightening up a slide.. drilling weeper holes in the slide and barrel.. using titanium Comps..variable rate recoil springs.. All to speed things up..

I built a full comp 10mm mag.. Without the Comp.. it easily runs 6 to 7 rounds before the first shell hits the floor.. But once I screw the Comp on.. the recoil spring jumps down to 9 pounds.. and I've never gotten more than 4 shells out of the gun before the first shell hits.. It's deathly soft shooting but very slow with a Comp..

Like everything I do..I try to learn all about the how and why..

All Good.. Mike

10. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I am glad this cailber came up for discussion as I just bought a Springfield Armory model PD9102 Defender. I bought it from a guy at the club that was selling off his guns and I always wanted a 45. Can anyone tell me anything about this gun ? My knowledge on 45's is about the same as my knowledge on flying an airpalne.
    My gun is a bi-tone with compinsator and a 45ACP . Outside of that, I know nothing else about the gun.
    Thanks for any help.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I find no listing for a PD9102.. Is it built on a 1911 frame?? or the XD series?? Both of which are excellent..

12. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

It is a 1911 style gun. I couldn't find anything on the gun either. I got the number off of the box it came in.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Everything Springfield does has been first class.. from what I've seen.. In a production gun..they are not built as percisely as their competition models..but still a good.. dependable shooter.. I don't care for their short barreled gun.. as I feel the longer slide is less likely to stovepipe..but all of that is in the tuning.. and timing.. Shoot it well.. All Good.. Mike

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

His record shooting 12 shots from a 6 shot S&W revolver is 2.99 seconds. HMB

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I saw the film on that one.. Quite impressive.. Years ago.. the only shooter who could give him a run in Louisiana was Hyman Saltz..Jerry was lightning fast 20 years ago.. and only got better with age..

My question was not aimed at revolvers..either single or double action..and for that matter.. not stock automatics either.. I was looking for information on a Comped 1911..

Hope everyone is having a good 4th.. I have to work.. Essence festival in New Orleans this week-end..

All Good.. Mike

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Sounds like most leo's they can't shoot good but they sure can do it fast. LOL

Watching the COPS reality show and there was 40 rounds expended and no one was hurt. At least they did it in record time.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The NOPD is about 50/50.. Half shoot stars and dirt.. the other half are not fast.. just deadly.. Many of the officers here are shooters.. not just a brother wanting a paycheck.. Office Greg Patrolia leaves just a ragged hole..and Collin Munster,his partner is right behind him.. On the other end.. we have some,that will a box of 50 shells.. can't put 10 on the paper at 15 yards..

I've always been a bullseye shooter.. That's why I know so little about speed.. 3 months from now.. All these questions will be answered.. If I have to build the guns myself.. I hope Ross Carter come to the GRAND.. We'll be having many dinners together.. He's taught me alot already.. Against what he knows.. I'm still in 1st grade..LOL.... Just like shooting.. the more you build.. the better you get..

All good my friends.. Happy 4th.. Mike

18. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

In a small African country...back in the day....I was only able to get two cases in the air outta my slightly modified Colt Mark IV Series 70, before the bad guy coming through the security fence hit the ground. Not a speed show to be sure, but good enough for me.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Some of the videos from when Bob Munden was younger are just amazing. He's not exactly slow now either.

-Gary

20. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Mike, I'd guess the answer is, how fast will it fire if it goes full auto. That'd take out the human error. I'd think a lighter slide, softer spring, (and heavier bullet?,) all would speed up slide speed. But then, isn't cycle speed ultimately dependent on action lockup? Good questions. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
45 acp race guns
45acp race guns for sale

open race gun 45 acp