1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT...45ACP compacts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mxrider458, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

Looking into getting a compact .45ACP. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Springfileds XDM series pistols. Also any other compact .45's. I've handled a Kahr P45, and it fits and feels great but was wondering about some other brands.

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

One of my officers carried a XDM .45 and was very happy with the gun. I shot it and it was easy to handle. I have just purchased a S&W 4516...same as 4513 tactical. I like the size and feel, but it doesn't carry as many rounds as the XDM. I did get a 10 round clip as a back up mag. Be sure you feel and fire what ever you buy...it is your fanny on the line.

JON

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is my Kahr CW-40. It is not a .45 but it sure beats a 9mm or .380 ACP.

It is a single stack which make it very easy to cary.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030342.jpg

4. mxrider458

mxrider458 Member

Thanks Jon, Yeah that's one thing I liked about the XDM is the extra capacity magazines. The Kahr was 2 mags @ 6+1, as where the the XDM, I believe is 10 with an extra extension mag at 13.

5. tab

tab Member

If Springfield would offer the XDM 45 in 3 or 3.8 inch barrel it would be a nice size carry, but the 4.5 inch barrel they offer now is no compact.

6. rustygun

rustygun Member

I have an xdm, One thing about the high cap mag, does make it noticeably heavier to carry, .45 rounds ain't lightweight.

7. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

Just picked up a Springfield ultra compact .45 ACP , nice fitting and shooting gun.. 6+1 ( My thinking is " If i need more than 7 shots, I shouldn't be in "that part of town"").

Fully loaded with 230 gr JHP, dont even feel it on the hip..

I also own a Sprigfiled XD 45 tactical ( 5" barrell) load that up with 13 and its plenty heavy..

Jake

8. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I have two Springfield XD9 sub compacts and absolutely love them. They eat any ammo, never malfunction, you can beat the hell out of them, and they shoot straight. Highly recommend them. Especially, considering the price. Great value.

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

SIG P239 in .40 cal. If it's enough for the DOHD it's good enough for me!

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Look at Para Ordinance. They are American made now.

11. white rattler

white rattler Member

Take a close look at the new Kimber Super Carry Ultra. Trevor Dawe.

12. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I have shot my Bro in laws Kimber Procarry 3" Compact a bunch and I can tell you it is way more accurate than my Glocks are with longer barrels. It is surprisingly accurate for a 3" barreled gun, and I had no problem with 1 hole drills at 7yds at all. You could easily knock somebodies head off at 25yds with this gun.

The trigger on this gun has absolutely NO creep whatsoever, once you apply the correct amount of pressure it breaks period.

The gun is small enough for good concealed carry and yet packs a pretty serious wallop.

Mind you this gun was $1500 and for that much you should expect something nice, and it is. Certainly a cut above others mentioned here, but it should be for that much money.

Randy

13. jkh171

jkh171 TS Member

Kimber is definitely the cats meow, but they're not cheap

14. bill2

bill2 Member

MX,
    Be prepared to shoot 230 grain bullets only in the XD. Bill2

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I've had good luck with my Kimber CDP, but it's an old one from the origanal custom shop. Others have had troubles. I think some don't give the full 500+ round break in period.

16. rustygun

rustygun Member

Bill enlighten me on the 230 gr. statement, I've shot all kinds of stuff through mine. Maybe I just got lucky.

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have an older Para Ordnance - P12 (before the LDA).

Wildly small and a full 12 shots of 45 ACP - don't think I need much else.

Surprisingly easy to carry and shoot - recoil is not bad at all.

18. bill2

bill2 Member

Rusty,
    I load for son's XD subcompact. I have not been successful in getting loads of 185 and 200 grain to feed properly. Thought it might be my loading. Tried all speeds, powder, and Bullets. Still one jams every now and then. 230gr no problem! shoots as good as my Kimber with me driving the trigger.185 is the worst performer. 200 gr. not to bad but, would not carry with that bullet because of the FTF. Consulted the web forums for handguns found my problem was widely known. I believe sons gun was 3 or 3.5 in BBl. Longer barrels are not reported to have the problem. Lighter spring will most likely fix the problem however, I have not tried as I can't locate a lighter spring.

Bill Clymer

19. skydweller97

skydweller97 Member

I have to agree with every word Randy wrote. First time my friend had me try his ultra carry I blasted an almost single hole group centered in the forehead of a silhouette, putting two clips inside of 2" offhand fairly quickly at 10 yards and I'm not a great shot with a handgun. They are very accurate and point naturally. As mentioned the triggers are superb. After bugging my friend every day for a month to sell his ultra to me I finally gave up and bought my own Ultra CDP II. LOVE it!

20. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I do not understand the need for 10, 12 or 17 round magazines in a concealed carry pistol. The reason I like a single stack auto over a revolver is the width of the weapon. You do not need more than 14 rounds (seven in the gun and a seven round spare magazine) for self defense.

The double stack autos are very bulky. I do not care how short the barrel is or how short the grip is they are still bulky!

I don't know if thin is sexy but it sure is easy to carry.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.