1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT .45 or 9mm?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

What would be the best choice in a 1911 for fun shooting. A 45 or 9mm. Big difference in recoil? Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

Go with Gov't 1911 .45. My daughter shoots mine and loves it. If in the event they complain of muzzle jump, you can add a muzzle brake in 30 seconds without tools. These brakes work. My brother has one on his.

3. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

The 9mm is cheaper to shoot .If that matters to you.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a few in most cal. 9 40 45 380. Some recoil more than others some dont. My wife hates the 9 but shoots the 45 with ease. gun fit is also important. I have a large cap 40 its like holding a 2x4 not well off for plinking many rounds. ruger mark series .22 is best for target shooting and cheap to shoot. My next best is my performance center S&W 1911 .45. The 9 and 380 do not get much use.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

One of each, dilema solved.

6. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

45 acp is a better cal because when it hits something its going down.

7. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

Buy a .45 then buy one of the conversion kits so you can shoot .22 rounds.
    Then you have the best of both worlds...

Bill

8. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Answer: .45

Next question...

9. REDD04

REDD04 TS Member

For fun shooting, the choice is yours. I will list my opinions on the 2 calibers.

The 45 will cost more to shoot this is whether you reload or buy factory ammo. The 45 is a more effective defensive caliber if you want the gun to pull double duty. If you reload, the 45 is easier and more forgiving as the 9 mm builds pressure quickly with small changes in bullet seating depth. As a rule the 45 is more accurate that the 9 mm. The 45 will recoil more but is not a sharp recoil like a hot .357 or .44 mag, it is more of a shove.

The 9 mm. will be less expensive to shoot. Surplus military ammo can be purchased relatively inexpensibly. The 9 mm. can hold more rounds of ammo than the 45 can. Both the 45 and 9 mm are available with double stacked mags but with the hi-cap mags, the 45 is much wider in the grip. This is a consideration with people with small hands. The 9 mm is not as effective as a defensive round. The 9 mm is easier for inexperienced shooters to shoot accurately due to less recoil. Typically the 9 mm guns are lighter,smaller and easier to conceal than the 45.

I personally prefer the 45, but you need to shoot as many different examples of each caliber so that you can decide for yourself.

REDD

10. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

If it's for fun, what's the difference which one you get? There isn't enough difference in the "power" between a 45 and a 9mm to make that much difference.
    No one is going to get "knocked" down or fly backward through the air from a gun shot. All movie crap.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

12. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

.45, then .40S&W, then 9mm. Either in order of fun to shoot or, self defense. Most importantly, get a gun that fits you and your shooting style. JMHO.

Shawn

13. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the good input guys. .45 it is, Kimber stainless 1911 5"
    Mike.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For shooting FUN, the best idea is to get a clone of your centerfire handgun in .22LR.<br>
    <br>
    I have a S&W Model 18 .22LR revolver, which complements my Model 19 .357.<br>
    <br>
    And a S&W Model 41 that has custom grips to make it feel like a 1911.<br>
    <br>
    Other .22 LR clones of centerfire handguns are a PPK-L, and a P-38.<br>
    <br>
    Kimber makes a .22LR clone of a 1911, and probably a conversion kit. Some Berettas have a .22 LR version.<br>
    <br>
    A .22 clone will give you a lot of enjoyment at a fraction of the cost, regardless of the caliber of your centerfire. And the more you can practice, the better a shot you'll be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.