1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ot 45 auto fans help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mike T, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

I was thinking about purchasing a 45 auto. need help. I know a orig 1911 is a single action with a exposed hammer, and must be cocked to fire. Can someone tell me about a double action one. I think that is the term. Where you just have to pull the trigger. And who make one. Also if you chamber a round with a double action does it then act like a single action that is cocked? Sorry if I used the wrong terms. Also any opinon on good ones either type that won't break the bank. I have owned a Colt pyton and a Browning challenger so I do know a little about double action revolvers and 22 autos
    thanks
    mike t

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I second the Sig P220. I love mine

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

H.K. USP. Another good choice for a double action .45

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Just did a CCW class & the instructor, who is also on a tac team, carries a S&W

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Doesnt S&W have a double action 1911 45 acp ??

6. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

As the late lamented Col. Jeff Cooper said, double action is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

Get a 1911, preferably Springfield or Kimber, and carry it cocked and locked as it was intended to be.

Tony

7. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

The Sig 220 is a fantastic pistol. Said to be the most accurate 45 out of the box, I agree it is very accurate The fixed sights are dead on. Every bit as accurate as my Gold Cup but I don't think it has as good a trigger as the Gold Cup. I bought a used police trade in like new from an FFL dealer on the sig forum for $530.00 shipped.

tom

8. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Look at the Para Ordnance short travel double action...otherwise a 1911 wide-body clone. Are you buying this gun to carry? If not, don't buy the double action, as a 1911 trigger can be made to be absolutely first rate...accurate and reliable weapon. And if you are going to carry, weight and concealment become issues...and the Glock becomes a contender, as well as the Sigs, S&W, etc.

WNCrob

9. JRD08

JRD08 TS Member

Para Ord. makes a double action 1911. I believe they call it a LDA or something along those lines. Ive heard nothing but good about them. 1911 is my favorite handgun, in single action. I do agree with switchblade though, just get a Kimber 1911 and carry it cocked and locked!(Hammer cocked and safety on)

10. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Mike,

I am blessed to be able to watch many folks qualify with several types of handguns for the Texas Concealed Handgun License. If you can find it we have seen it with over 2000 students bringing all manner of handguns through the course.

Several things have become apparent since we started in 1996: 1. I hate Glocks,they are uggggly. That said they have proved to be one of the most reliable accurate handguns we have seen and can be very concealable. Simple to load and shoot much like a revolver. Finally broke down and bought a Model 30 .45 the other day "so I would have a gun my students could borrow" (that is what I told the boss) and dang if I can make it malfunction as hard as I try. The Sig seems to eat most any kind of ammo put through them. Many of the government models prove problematic to the unseasoned shooter. Either through lack of training or knowledge folks will build malfunctions for themselves with a 1911. 2. The double action/ single action pistols are also problematic for unseasoned shooters. Remembering the sequence to put them into battle conditions and then removing them from the same take a great deal of practice. The same can be said about the 1911 model with some of the bells and whistles you can get these days.

The students that have the lease problems are the ones who have either a basic model single action type 1911 or the double action only type handguns. Only a few things to remember on these to get them into the fight.

You have chosen a proven caliber in the .45 with many sizes to choose from to meet your needs. In addition there is a large selection of ammo to choose from.

Last three words of advise: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Mostly on malfunction drills because it is not if it will quit but when and the answer is at the worst possible time!!!

Jack Burch

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a 40 cal S&W 4013 tactical, a tad smaller ans easier to conceal than my S&W 1911. I live in massachusetts so my options are limitted for new pistols.
    The TSW4013 is a DA/SA gun. I prefer this for myself. I am not looking to shoot bullseye with this gun. First pull on the 4013 is a bit snug but under the conditions of actually needing to use this for 5yard or less it works well for me. They do make 45 in this model. Another option is the new S&W M&P 45. I loved my 1911 S&W performance center addition 45. I traded it in for a trap gun........needless to say I am going to be buying another 1911 when I can. Hey I live in mass and have grown to love S&Ws. I did like the sigs and Para's that have models that pass mass handgun laws

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

To answer your question, Mike, think of your Python to understand the double-single action thing. Imagine your Python cocked. Imagine a thumb safety near your right thumb to keep you from unintentionally firing it if your trigger finger or shirttail touches the trigger. That's like a single action auto-pistol. Common example is the famous .45 ACP Colt 1911. Then imagine your Python hammer-down, where it can be fired with a long, intentional trigger press. That's like a double-action auto-pistol. Common examples are Glock, S&W M&P, Kahr, and Springfield XD (while the XD is technically a SA pistol, it's fired exactly like a Glock.) Many Sig's have a DA trigger for the first shot, then SA for subsequent shots, some Sig's are SA-only, some DA-only. If you chamber a round with a DA-only auto-pistol like a Glock, by racking the slide, it will then act just like your Python in DA mode: every time the trigger is pressed clear back, it'll fire. There are small, medium and large examples of all of these out there, so go to gun shops and ask to handle different sized ones. All I mentioned are available in .45 ACP. The Glock & XD are cheapest, but as good as any of the others. Phil E

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of the all time great .45acp pistols is not an auto it is a revolver, the S&W M25/M625. Very accurate, fast to get into action, very reliable, simple operating (pull the trigger). Down side is that it is a bit large and heavy for a ccw piece and it is a six shooter. Hard to beat for shooting enjoyment though.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

See above, I just picked up the 9mm version of the XD Sub-Compact with Trijicon night sights and love it.

Comes as a kit with 2 clips- 1 -10 round and a 16 round,holster, speed loader and clip holster.

Jerbear

15. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Mike T,

As a couple of folks said above, in effect you don't have to cock the hammer on a 1911 pistol to shoot the first shot. It's made to be carried cocked and locked. After disengaging the safety, each shot is a sweet single-action squeeze of the trigger.

I wanted the "1911 Experience," so I bought a new Springfield GI. Even as a relatively inexpensive example of the 1911 guns, it is one fine shooting piece.

I recommend shooting some guns before you buy, if you can. Shoot the DA autos like the Sig, Glock and S&W. Then get a 1911 or two and shoot them.

Danny

16. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Springfield has been purging some of their stock lately. Something about a new thumb safety. I haven't checked the new ones. The dealers around here have been selling some of the 45's for under $500. I paid close retail a while ago, oh well. There are deals to be had out there. I'm a glock fan but like my xd's also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.