1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT---400 Corbon Question????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Mike

The 40 S&W has a sufficient following, sufficient power, and a small frame platform that makes it very popular. The discretely loaded 400 Corbon has no more power than a maximum 10 mm. These rounds are only 200 fps faster than the 40. The 40 is a magnum. Period.

Also, most 400's were built on the low pressure 1911 frame. Max pressure for the 10mm is 37,500 PSI. This should tell the tale. A big spring will not hold a light slide closed like a heavier slide and a lighter spring.

The big frame 10 mm Glock is made from the ground up for the 10. The slide of the 10 is heavier than the one for the 45. With an appropriate recoil spring, the G-29 can handle 200 gr bullets at 1200 fps. The factory spring is light so the arm will function with "10 Lite" loads. Even the massive Glock 21 is not an ideal candidate for 35,000 PSI 400 loads.

Your 1911 is best left in the original 45 Auto caliber. If your 1911 platform is a 4" or longer barrel, the 230 gr Remington Golden Sabre is the round to use. Under 4", use the 185 +P Golden Sabre.

I never could understand why the 38/45 survived the onslaught of the 357 Sig.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The biggest issue was the .45 auto case it was based on. The .45 Auto is not originally a high pressure round and the 10mm and even the .40 are close to the best of it's loads. It also beats the crap out of some guns, unless they have been modified or designed to handle it. The only advantage it seemed to have was a bottleneck case's improved feeding ability, if there is any. I tried it about a decade ago and wasn't impressed, unless shooting the factory Corbon ammo. That was really hot stuff, but the cases were a little tougher than most of the plain jane .45 brass out there. I used .45 Super brass to form mine and got some .400 Corbon brass from Starline too. It ended up being an adventure in futility. I could just about equal it with any of my 10mm's. It sounded good on paper, unless it was the check you needed to write to make it work.

My USP and P220 seemed to be OK with it, but a 1911 clone was a nightmare. No damage, but it was more than I desired to put through that gun.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I agree with SC and Q S it is hard on 45 if you go with a heavy spring gun is hard to shoot. The recoil makes it uncomfortable. The brass is about 3 or maybe 4 reloads and they split. Have some if you want em ricks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.