1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT ?? 4 mechanically inclined???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chiefjon, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I recently purchased a slightly used Nissan 350Z. It has 50k miles and has always used standard motor oil. I am a big fan of synthetic oil (Mobil 1) in my other cars. Is there any problem in switching this car over to synthetic? Would it be inclined to use oil? It does not appear to use oil at this point.
    Thanks for any advice.

JON

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Not that I've read or heard of. I did it to a rig that had almost 100,000 miles on it and didn't have any problems. Rig is still running strong.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Should notcuase any problems, but the cost of syn is high you'd be better served to chage the oil more often say every 2500 miles

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

You can switch between non synthetic and synthetic any time. Go with synthetic. The high mileage stuff usually has some detergents to condition seals and such. Absolutely switch.

5. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

I switched to Mobel 1 several years ago for my 130,000 mile Mitsibushi and haven't had any problems. Because the synthetic doesn't break down like regular oil, I only change it every 6000 miles instead of 3000 thus making the higher cost of synthetic in line with regular oil.

6. mv49112

mv49112 TS Member

I use Mobil 1 in everything.
    In the truck, I change the filter every 5000 and add a quart. Once every year I change it all. I have never had a problem weather starting from new or switching mid stream.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

THere's one caveat...yes, you can switch anytime. But you don't want to switch back and forth, i.e, if you change to syn now and run it 50k miles and then decide to change the oil and put conventional in, and then 3000 miles later you change back to syn.

It'll gum things up. But changing once is no big deal.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I use Rotella synthetic in my diesels and send samples 3 times a year to Blackstone labs for analysis. I asked them the benefit's of using synthetic oils and there reply was "if you use the vehicle in arctic or sahara climates you would benefit using it" I still use synthetic oil.

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

This country would be so far ahead if we would go to 100% synthetic's in its oil's and grease's and use that saved crude for gas and diesel.

THAN, get rid of gas engines and go only diesel!

BUT as long as there is Big Oil and Big Auto with the backing of Big Government, it will never happen.

Greed will never bring about was is the right thing to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.