1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - .380 Ammo for CC?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by EXFDX, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I have a Bersa .380 CC I use for carry. I don't believe I would use it beyond 10-12 feet. Given that, what ammo would you suggest? Currently I am using Cor-Bon .380 Auto, 90 gr,. JHP at 1050fps with 220ft/lbs. I also have some Remington Golden Sabers in .380, also Brass JHP at 102 grains but I don't know the rest.

I have other weapons for other purposes (home defense, etc.), but this one, at least in my mind, is for "up close and personal"; somebody right in my face, pretty much. Any further than 12 feet I would do my best to evade. I guess I'm saying the .380 is pretty much a given in this equation whether or not it may be your weapon of choice for the same purpose.

I'm guessing close in you don't want a whole lot of speed, but I don't know much about ballistics - especially handgun ballistics, so I would very much appreciate your input. Given those conditions, what would be your ammunition of choice?

Thanks,

Steve Oehmen

2. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

We have a Cobra 380 auto set up for the night in the bed room. I like them to know when I wratchet a round in the chamber that I am loaded. I have hand loads of 100 grain round noses that are very accurate at 25 yards. Not sure of the knock down but they know when it's gone off. It makes a lot of noise and is easier for the wife to handle as well. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 acp. Great little gun. I use Corbon 90 gr. JHP. They function well and hit dead on. The Bersa has a good trigger and is more reliable than a Walther PPK. It rides nicely in my coat pocket (if you need it it better be where you can get to it!).

Jim Skeel

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rich, just FYI, I don't recommend chambering a round when you're (a) sleepy and (b) under duress. Particularly if there is a chance of a perp making it to your bedroom. This could be somewhat negated by other factors, such as an alert dog to sound the alarm first.

My home defense guns are ready to go. I also use handguns that don't need to be safetied (double action revolvers and double action semi-autos).

And, given that I'm not carrying these guns for CCW, I can step up in size and caliber for home defense.

5. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Jim, I'm thinking the 90 grain Corbon seems to shoot a bit better than anything else I've tried. I also have a .380 Thunder but the CC version needs a little steadier hand to hit dead on, but the barrel's a bit shorter than the Thunder, too.

Alf - I'm in a Stand Your Ground state. I'm thinking about a guy poking a gun in my face in the car. They can have all the car, money and credit cards I have, but I won't take a deliberate threat to either me or my wife at least if I can help it. In Tennessee, criminal and civil law will back me so not much talking to the police.

And Brian, I'm with you. The house gun is a Glock 23 .40 caliber. I do have a trigger safety on it, but that can get punched out quickly while I'm clearing my head.

Steve

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

The Cor Bon loads you have are about the best for your purpose. Off hand I cant think of any that might be better.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My daughter has a .380 PPK that I gave her loaded with Glasers.

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

According to recent articles, Cor-Bon DPX with 80 gr. Barnes X-bullet is hard to beat. Currently on sale at Midway USA. I am also ordering some in .38 special and .45 Auto Rim. Best Regards, Ed

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use a Daewoo 380 for carry and use the Federal 90 grain HYDRA-SHOK JHP as well. Was told to shoot a couple hundred rounds to be sure they would chamber OK. I did not shoot that many as they are costly and I was trying out 7 pistols. I did have some that did not like them but now I think the guns were just too dry.

I took this pistol for my last CHL renewal proficiency test and it would jam with regular round nose ammunition. I had to borrow a pistol to take the test.

After it was all over I oiled and greased it up and all was fine. Mine had dried up while not being used. Keep your pistol well lubricated or it might let you down when you need it the most. Ray......

10. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

You already have the best. Nothing beats cor-bon in .380. JD

11. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I prefer to use mag safe 60gr at 1360fps in my Bersa.

MAGSAFE SWEPT THE STRASBOURG TESTS
    The now -famous Strasbourg Tests put MagSafe on the map. To Summarize what nearly everyone already knows, over 600 live French Alpine goats (their bodies are very much like humans) were shot under controlled conditions: no anesthetic, same shot placement form animal to animal, and with blood pressure and heart rate monitors to determine the Incapacitation Time (measure of how long it took a goat to cease functioning after the single shot was delivered).

MagSafe Ammo worked - better than anything else. Tests were done without MagSafe's knowledge, so some versions tested were the lowest powered. For example, two types of .380 ACP are offered; the .380 Defender, a 60-grainer at 1,360 fps in a Colt Mustang; and the .380 MAX (designed for a big city's undercover drug agents) with a 52-grain slug sizzling along at 1,620 fps in the Mustang.

The Defender has 247 ft-lbs of energy, while the MAX load has 303 ft-lbs. The Defender's lower velocity hampered stopping power, resulting in a Average Incapacitation Time (AIT) of 7.12 seconds. That's the average time for five different goats, each shot once with the MagSafe 60-grain Defender.

However - and this is where things get interesting - there wasn't a jacketed hollowpoint bullet in ANY caliber which dropped the goats faster than MagSafe's weakest .380 load!

MagSafe's .380 beat every .45 ACP slug, every 10mm, every 9mm (including police-only ammo), every .40 caliber - no matter who made it - Cor-Bon, Remington, Glaser and HydraShok.

In fact, MagSafe's lowest-powered .380 ACP load had an AIT faster than the best manstopper of all time - Remington's .357 Magnum 125-grain JHP!

12. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Thanks everyone for the great info! I think I had some MagSafe rounds at one point…guess I'll have to re-think that and look up some more research.

Steve Oehmen

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Steve: I'd advise not rethinking it. Your Cor-Bon or Golden Sabers, plus Speer Gold Dot, Hornady XTP and Winchester Ranger, will be what you want, all in conventional JHP. The major companies (Win, Rem, Speer, Hornady) are on the cutting edge of non-gimmick, what-works defense ammo, which centers around modern, properly-constructed JHP's. Phil E

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ray,

If you keep your auto well lubed there is a good chance the round in the chamber will go bad over time. The lube penetrates the primer and kills it. That's why I like revolvers, If it goes click just pull the trigger again and it goes bang, not so with an auto. Plus with an auto you don't have to wait for the gun to cycle to shoot the second shot. HMB

15. a budine

a budine Member

rjdden - DO NOT use handloads in a defensive weapon - while they may work well and function properly, any factory load is preferable. Simple reason, and I've seen it happen, a defense lawyer will make you look like a pre-mediated killer if you have handloads in the weapon you use to defend yourself and home. Stick with factory rounds after using the handloads for regular practice.

16. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Phil E has some good advice, the specialty ammo has it's place but there are compromises, mainstream ammo like Golden Saber and others are designed as general purpose self defense ammo. Specialty ammo is expensive and many people will not, or cannot, spend the money for enough ammo to make sure their gun will work flawlessly with it. Or even to determine POI. For myself I like to carry ammo that will work in a variety of situations without overstessing my gun or being excessively loud or too heavy in recoil. There is no substitution for bullet placement.

1911a1 I would love to hear the details of the case you know of. Forgive me, but I can't imagine the situation were a "defense" lawyer would be accusing a citizen or police officer who shot someone in a justified shooting of premeditation based on ammo. You do realize the defense lawyer in a criminal case is defending the accused? In general, defense lawyers don't bring criminal charges against citizens. Could you be confusing a criminal case with a civil case? Look up premeditation as it is used in legal terms. A general definition is contemplation of acting out or planning an intended CRIME. A justified self defense shooting is not a crime, at least where I live. Looks to me like that shuts down the premeditation accusation even in a civil trial. Maybe the case you know of was a murder not a self defense shooting? Anyway case number, date, time, and place would be interesting.

If you have any doubt about a possible self defense situation go visit your local prosecuting attorney and get the truth. Ask him if you came home from trapshooting to find a home invasion taking place and all you had were your trap gun and reloads, would he prosecute you for shooting the criminals assaulting your family just because you used reloads?

I'm not advocating loading up with handloads in your self defense gun. I just don't believe that reloads are going to get you thrown in jail in a justified shooting. The best reason to use factory ammo is because it has been tested and researched much more than an individual could in every way.

Sorry to be so long winded about this but I hate to hear this repeated so much. I'm afraid some folks might hesitate to protect themselves and family just because they happened to have reloads (may get to the point it's all you can afford) in their gun at the time they needed it.

HMB, " wait for the auto to cycle to fire the second shot "? Are you Jerry Miculek? If so I'll see you in June at your place, had no idea you posted on here. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.