1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT 38 special load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Would it be safe to load 12g of 2400 in a 38special case with a 158g bullet. In lyman 49th edition 9.4g is max for a 38 special load But for 357 a 158g with 2400 a max is 14.9g of 2400.

I will be using a colt python 357 to shoot these in.

is 12g safe in a 38 special case?

thanks
    mike t

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Only with the Lyman 358156 gas check and crimped in the bottom crimp groove. Othwise, go with the suggested load. You can't interpolate....other factors are at work.

3. mike T

mike T Member

Thanks
    I will stay with the hadbbooks suggested load for 38 special.
    mike t

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mike--Not trying to start an arguement but if you wanted something that hot and you have the 357 Python, why not just go with a 357 load? That gun would handle 38+P loads and that would be more than enough juice. IMHO---Matt

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would not suggest loading a .38 special case with a .357 load. If using a .357 load, use the right case. They are not made for the same pressures.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The .357 magnum cases were made 1/8th too long to prevent them being loaded in old .38 special revolvers that were made of poor materials. Modern .38 cases are made the same as .357 cases. On a side note, I was a pretty serious bullseye competitor and found my .357 revolver would not group like my .38 revolver with the same light load .38 wadcutter ammo. I loaded the same load in a .357 case and the .357 grouped better. I guess the bullet not having to jump the ridge in the cylinder before hutting the forcing cone in the barrel helped the accuracy. I still have the plaque I earned in league with that .357, even though all the other guys with their tuned up S&W .38s told me a stock .357 was not accurate enough

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

A smaller case volume will give a higher pressure with the same charge/bullet weights.

I doubt a ,38 case will fail at .357 Mag pressures but the risk is a hot .38 load can find its way into a weaker .38 only gun. It is not a great idea.

I am really anal about only loading published loads. If you need to power up your Python, a few hundred .357 cases are a cheap investment in the long run.

BTW, the Python is one of the greatest guns every made. I wish I had one.

Don Verna

8. mike T

mike T Member

Thanks to all. I just loaded them up with 9.4g of 2400 and a 158g hornaday jhp.
    just what the manual said. I too am pretty anal about following loads. ( don't have that much experience with pistols and rifles. But I do weigh every load. (I know that takes a long time, but I don't want anything to blow up) That is why I asked about a out of norm load. I think it may have been ok in my 357 but why take a chance with a stuck case, or something worse. By the way this is the first load of anything (shotguns, rifles, or pistols) that I have ever come close to the max load.
    thanks all
    mike t

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I loaded 12½ grs of 2400 with a 358429 cast bullet in .38 spec cases all the time for my .357 Blackhawk. If I had .357 cases then I used 13½ grains. At the time I didn't have a .38 spec gun so no chance for a mixup.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Except for some ancient cases the 38special case is no weaker than the 357. Elmer Keith loaded a lot of hot loads in the 38 special case.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Has anyone actually cross sectioned and compared a few .38 special cases to some .357 cases? They may be manufactured using a similar process, but they may not have the same amount of material in the right places. I wouldn't want to experiment. If you dig up the thread in the "For Sale" section about reloading the .40 S&W, you'll find even the same caliber may not always be the same or suitable for high pressure loads. Yes there are some old .38 special cases around, but even the new ones may not be up to magnum pressures.

12. oz

oz Active Member

357+P loads????????????? oz

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

OZ---If your reference was made to me on the +P ammo, it was a typo and meant to be .38 +P. Thats called not being able to type and chew gum at the same time. I had just made reference to .357 and thats what happens. Sorry i upset you. I fixed it. They do have .357 Sig +P ammo though. ----Matt

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Silver: do a little research and you'll find that Elmer blew up a lot of guns. His philosophy was, I think, a little is good, more is better, lots is great....BOOM.

No offense intended but his ideas have been proven a little excessive. Also, most of the loads he proposed are for cases no longer in existence and for powders much improved.

Modern load data is a must.

I used to use his "proposed" loads and almost wrecked a nice 29-2. 22 grains of today's 2400 is much to hot for the "keith" bullet in a 44mag

I have been loading, previously commercial, presently privately for over fifty years and have never blown a gun (have bulged a case or two and did blow out a magazine in a 39 smith with bad case) but have religiously followed the load books all the way.

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

99Stan, I agree with you on the 22 grains of 2400 as being too hot. My S-Blackhawk seemed to handle them fine, but I didn't. With the Keith 429421 bullet I load 18½ grains and that makes a very nice load. Some winters I would load 10,000 rounds of that for resale. That was back in the '80's and at that time it seemed like the factory .44 loads were so hot they were just not pleasant to shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.