1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ 357 REMINGTON MAXIMUM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WIN12 MAN, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

Just bought a like new '' Thompson '' contender <> 357 rem. maximum
    14'' barrel .. with 400 rounds of once fired fed & rem. brass.

Anyone still shooting these ///wondering how they are for deer
    hunting . Guy said he shot it at 150 yards /no problem.,

Thanks
    Win

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

They will kill a deer with no problem. I had one and sold the damn thing. It had one hell of a recoil as a hand gun. I started a bad flinch from shooting it. I would how ever buy a rifle in that cal.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just checked the gun sites. On GunBroker item number 217648366 He has for sale 19 20 round boxes for sale. I think he is high but again you can always give him a counter offer on the shells. The sale has 3 days and 9 hours left at this time. Good luck.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A very powerful round. At one time our DNR had the specification for pistol deer hunting at a thousand footpounds of muzzle energy, and the regular 357 was just a shade under that. Many LEO's had 357's and raised a stink, so they allowed them too.

The Max was discontinued in Ruger revolvers because the hot gases were sawing away at the top strap and causeing some failures.

In a Contender you will have no problem killing deer, but an Excedrin headache from the flash and roar.

HM

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its a great caliber in a TC to hunt deer with...its only a tad less powerful than a 35Remington...I've killed a bunch of deer and pigs with just a regular 357 Magnum in a Marlin levergun that sends a 158gr flat point out at around 2000fps...easy meat out to 150yds

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Shot a bunch of IHMSA silhouette back in the day with that round out of a Seville revolver. Had enough down range energy to topple rams at 200 meters.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not legal to use here in IL but it is a heck of a caliber for deer. I will not say how i know. :)

Matt

From Left to Right:

.38 Special~~~.357 Magnum~~~.357 Maximum

[​IMG]

8. djcuda

djcuda Member

Very good round for Deer out of a T/C.
    Dave

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Excellent caliber. HAd a 10 inch barrel on my contender that Chronographed 140 Gr jhp's with about 25 Gr of WW 296 at just over 2000 fps. Ditto about the flash and the roar. Would put 10 shots into less than 2 inches at 100 yards from a solid rest. Miss that gun......

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

footpounds of energy in 357 maximum