1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: .270 whitetail deer medicine

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I just bought my 14 YO son a nice used Rem. Model 7600 in .270 Win. I shoot a .30-06 and use 150 grain bullets. What is the "classic" round for a .270 win? A co-worker liked the 130 grain....what are your recommendations (factory ammo. only!)

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

130 or 150 gr. Take your pick. Jake

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Since you restricted yourself to factory ammo, you can get Nosler Partition bullets in Federal Premium factory loads. The Federal catalog shows it is available in .270 Winchester in both 130 gr and 150 gr loadings. They also load the Nosler Ballistic Tip in 130 gr. I use only my handloads with Nosler Partition bullets for big game, but either of the above should be fine. There are also Remington Core-Lokt or Winchester Power Points in 130 gr factory loads, either of which should be fine for deer and antelope.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bridgetoofar,

You should really share the story about the ATV! This one, I gotta hear.

ec90t

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 270 made its reputation with the 130 gr pill. Hornady loads their 140 gr BTSP. Fro Whitetail deer, the standard Remington Core-Lokt or Winchester Power Point bought at the big box stores will fill the freezer.

6. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

The coach is right. I have taken a lot of white tail with factory loaded 130 gr boattail bullets. My gun likes the Rem core locks and Fed loads. I have never taken a white with the 130 gr boattails and found a bullet in the deer, they all went in and exited the deer. You dont need the high priced factory loads.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

130 grain bullets- you might be surprised at how well factory core lock bullets perform-- I dont think you need a premium bullet to kill a deer

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Bridge-What about that ATV story? Inquiring minds want to know. JD

9. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks guys for all the helpful info.!!! FIB

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

What everybody said. The 760/7600 can be finicky about ammo. You need to try several brands of factory ammunition to find the most accurate. 130 gr bullets are all that you will ever need. They work in the big woods of PA and the open spaces of the west.

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

The bullet weight really doesn't matter, but according to statistics, you want a lighter explosive bullet on thin skinned varmints like deer, and a heavier bullet on game like bear.

I use the 130 on deer and 150's on black bear. Never got a bear, but the 130 bullets all have shot through deer with little damage to the deer. I aim for the heart.

I've tried a half dozen different factory loads in my vintage J C Higgins 270 over the years, and it places all of them within the same vicinity around 1 1/2" at 100 yards, so swapping bullet weights is easy for me. I use a 10X Leupold and set my crosshairs 2 1/2" high.

12. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

bridgetoofar- for SERIOUS atv shooting I prefer the 140 gr hollow point in my .270. I hiope the atv didn't suffer much after being shot with the 130 gr Nosler (RLOL), I too am anxiously awaiting this story!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

13. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Come on bridgetoofar, you've got to supply details. Lung shot? Distance? etc.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I never used anything but 130 grain bullets...all Remington factory bullets ...the best performing in both accuracy and expansion...and penetration was the 130 Bronze Pt.... like a Ballistic tip but way ahead of its time...this bullet over 59gr of H4831 in Winchester brass was almost 3200 fps and would group 1 hole at 100yds..killed several whitetail at over 400 yds in the fields of Southern Md.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.