1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: .22LR AR-15 Upper

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by no5shooter, Dec 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Greetings all. It's been a while since I posted anything, but I do know we get into all kinds of discussions here. Just acquired an AR-15, thought I'd better while I still could, and I'm looking for a .22LR upper for it. I know there are "conversion units" available, basically a new bolt, mainspring, magazine and that's it, but I also know there have been a number of manufacturers who put out complete upper receivers ready to run in .22LR caliber. Main thing is, the barrel is the proper ID to shoot .22's accurately. Anybody have one they want to get rid of?
    Jerry, in Oregon

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you are going to shoot a lot of rimfire ammo, you will have issues with the centerfire top end.

The centerfire bore is larger than the rimfire bore. The gas port and tube will become partially clogged if a lot of rimfire ammo is shot through the centerfire assy'.

The best way out for rimfire use is a Ruger 10/22 with a few mags.

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Bite the bullet, in my opinion, save your money and buy a good 22 rifle versus trying to convert the AR. You'll end up spending alot of money trying to save money in not shooting the .223 calibre. The .223 is probably the cheapest to reload versus other centerfire rifles and it's about the cost of shooting a 12 gauge (reloading wise). If you have priced uppers, you're looking at $400 plus. To be honest with you, I've not seen any upper in 22 LR but I've seen the conversion kits. Darrell

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a couple of 22lr uppers, one of which has an m4 configuration with a 16 inch barrel. the other has a 20 inch bull barrel that looks and feels exactly like my 223 varmint upper. Both are a lot of fun to shoot and more accurate than i can shoot. I also have a conversion unit that is not as accurate and really fouls up the gas system if i shoot too many rounds through it. FWIW. jm

5. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

You guys have pretty much confirmed what I have heard, which is the "conversion units" aren't accurate and they'll foul up the gas system in the centerfire upper, and the actual .22LR uppers work pretty well. I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks for the advice, Darrell, but I have a good .22LR rifle already; I just want to be able to shoot .22LR through my new AR without all the disadvantages of the conversion units. You really can't have too many .22 rifles, ya know. That's like having too big a woodpile.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Something kinda cool about being able to shoot a comfortable semi-auto .22lr with good micrometer sights...I always enjoyed shooting match sights more than a scope, anyway.

7. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Stay away from the little units that insert in the .223 barrel. Take a look at tacticalsolutions.com. Their .22 upper is pretty decent. I'd avoid anything from Ceiner. If you happen to get one that works your in luck. If you don't, you'll grow much older waiting for them to provide any customer service.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the 22 rim will shoot good in a 223 barrel . You need to use ammo that has the long area exposed on the bullet like rem Hi speed or win super X. The rem has more wax on the bullet and will cause a build up in gas system faster. Win will work better. The Aguila 22 sss will shoot as good as the rifle will shoot. I have done better will that 22 than 223 ammo.

9. trench12

trench12 TS Member

try to find the CZ V-22 conversion. Its a complete upper in 22lr Nice set up and not expensive.

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree completely with the Ciener comment. Go to various mfg's web sites & see what is available. Buy a good .22 complete upper. You may ahve to shop a bit,but they will be easier to find than a similar .223 Should you want to sell some day you won't lose that much. And your family will enjoy shooting the gun then. You will make up the diff in $$$ 223 vs 22LR in a hurry. And you will become very proficient with the AR in a hurry

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

...I also agree with the Ciener comment. I haven't had one of his .223 units, but I had one of the .45 pistol ones, and it was "jam city." I feel sorry for the military units that were having to train with the .22lr conversions due to cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.