1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT .22 rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Today's rimfires usually shoot very well. The ammunition is the key, you have to find what the gun likes.

I have found gold Medal Match and CCI Standard Velocity to work well for me. The CCI is affordable compared to some of the snob stuff like Green Box.

If you want to be really anal you can sort the ammo for best results. Weight and rim thickness (there is a tool for that) are the criteria.

Wolf and Aguila may be good also.

HM

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I bought a Henry this spring when my local newspaper had the coupon inserts and Henry had a flyer in that.

What really inpressed me was the fact that there was a picutre of a Bible and taked about it would always be American made or not made at all. More companies need to take this approach, saying what you mean and putting the Bible back where it needs to be.

Anyway I just bought it to play with when I am shooting with my Cowboy buddies but my wife has pretty well laid claim to this little rifle.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Fred, I have thought about a Henry lever 22. Let us know how it shoots

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Half Mile, very interesting comment about the Wolf and Aguila. Just yesterday afternoon I went out and tested 4 different brands of standard velocity ammo through my CZ 452 topped with a Leupold fixed 24X and the best groups were with the Wolf and Aguila. I found no difference between the groups that I got with the Wolf Match and Extra Match though. I would not spend the extra money to buy the extra match.

R.M., enjoy that new Henry.

Steve

5. KRK32

KRK32 Member

About a month ago I did some trading and got a 541T bull barrel in mint cond. i was planning on selling until i shot it and found out its a tack driver it loves the cci standard velocity at the range we would shoot the stems to the daisys on the backstop til they were all on the ground at 50 yards. Kirk

6. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I have a 541T with the standard barrel. Federal Gold Medal Match shoots shoots good groups haven't tried CCI yet. I did some testing with different vintage standard velocity and match ammo as well with surprising results.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Just looked at and bought a Smith & Wesson M15 22 (AR 15 "look alike" sort of) for plinking and informal target practice. You tube has several videos on this...compared to Colt M4, it seems like fun. Best Regards, Ed

8. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Had one of the Henry pumps in .22 and found it to be an outstanding shooter after lightening up the trigger to about 2.5 lbs. The heavy octagonal barrel really helps in keeping it steady for accuracy. It really liked Aguila standard and sub-sonic ammo, easily grouping 3/8" at 25 yards with open sights! Probably should have kept it, but a friend wanted it BADLY! Would definitely consider another!

AndyH ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.