1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - .22 Rifle Scope Suggestion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Spanky, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've valued your help and opinions on this site in the past but, would like to through out something a bit off topic. I'm looking for some suggestions on a variable .22 rimfire scope. I thought some of you guys may also be into target shooting and possibly hunting as I am. Have you found a decent variable 3-9x40, 4-12x40 etc. scope without breaking the bank. I've been dissatisfied with or just feel some of my present .22 scopes are just no prize. I guess I just was being too cheap and uninformed with what I purchased.

I just found a new in box Marlin 880SQ (squirrel).22 LR with heavy barrel, no iron sights, comes with factory 1" Weaver scope mounting rings. I've looked for and had given up hope in finding this one for quite some time and I just happened to stumbled upon it yesterday while picking up a new sling for my Mini-14 at a shop that I don't get to very often. Anyway, have any of you guys recently purchased a variable .22 scope lately that you like and feel for the price it's pretty good. I don't want to spend $200-$300 but felt maybe I could get something for $100 +/-. I think this gun will be a good shooter.

2. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Simmons 22mag. 3x9 Good on a 22, wouldn't buy a Simmons for a center fire though.
    I've had it mounted on a Marlin 39A for about 8 years, many bricks of ammo shot through it, still holding up very well

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers TS Member

USA MIDWAY http://www.midwayusa.com/
    look up a scope called sweet 17., it should work on your gun.

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

You need to find one that is made for a rimfire or get one that has an adjustable objective lens for parallax focus. Being able to focus it for the range your shooting really helps in the accuracy dept.

Jim

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When choosing a scope for a .22 the important thing is to have the parallax adjustable down to 50 feet or less. Many scopes intended for use on larger rifles do not have this. This makes them hard to use for much .22 shooting.

I have a Simmons Sweet 17 on my Kimber and I like it. The BDC knob is not calibrated for the 22, rather for the 17 HMR. This does not bother me.

I believe they now have a Sweet 22 with the correct BDC for you.

For around 70 bucks they are a good deal.

Leupold has a rimfire special if you have deeper pockets, I personally don't think it's worth it.

There are others out there. Just mind the parallax adjustment.

Whatever you do do not buy one without an adjustable objective.

HM

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Tasco makes some very good target quality scopes. They are in the $100 range. The ones with the adjustable objective lense are excellent. HMB

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Try this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/epromolisting.exe/showpage?promotionid=151379&utm_source=bsasaletop&utm_medium=homepage521

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I don't want to be a pain in the A$$ but I had a Simmons Whitetail on a 10/22 that I sent back to Simmons twice for repair. Finally threw it in the trash and bought an old Weaver at a gunshow thats been the best .22 scope I've ever had!

Steve

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

if there are any around on the auction sites, Weaver made the "T" series of scopes back in the 80's...they were full-on target scopes and a few of my customers put them on Kimber's.....and they worked well...I put a conpact 4X Leupold on mine..still got it.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Natchez Shooters supply has all thier scopes on sale...The BSA Sweet 22 with Adj Obj. and trajectory calibration is under 30 bucks

11. Urbans

Urbans Member

4X Leupold compact, hard to beat for a good bolt action 22.

12. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Redfield made a scope just for 22's years ago. I found one on E-Bay. They come high but are just the thing for a 22. If you pursue this, make sure you can find a set of rings, as they are harder to find than the scope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.