1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ot 22-250

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by csapsg18, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csapsg18

csapsg18 TS Member

any rifle reloaders out there, I have my grandfathers rifle and don't know what reload he used. I can pull the bullet and weigh the powder but how can I figure out what the powder is? Any ideas Chris

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would probably not worry and shoot them

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I always had good to great results with Varget powder and 50 grain V-Max bullets. Prep the cases and seat the bullets just touching the barrel lands. Get a Stoney Point tool to figure out seating depth. Prep: champher, and deburr and neck turn if needed. After shooting, if this is your only gun you will use with those cases, consider neck sizing only. Make sure, after firing, that the COL is within SAMMI specs. Use match grade primers if you can source them.

Have fun!

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, my pet .22-250 load is;

R-P cases, CCI 200 std large rifle primers, 55 gr Sierra bullets, 36 gr IMR 4064

John C. Saubak

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

Just shoot 'em and start over with your own stuff.

I use a very light (33-34 grs.) load of H-380 behind a 52 gr. Sierra HPBT. Out of a Ruger 77 whose only modification is a bedded action and floated barrel, it generates 20 shot groups that are less than 3 inches at 300 yards, prone, not bench. H-380 is a very good powder for the 22-250.

Beyond 300 yards you will need more bullet weight and a faster twist than the stock Ruger.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 22/250 is a great varmint round, but generally has a 1-14" twist. This means the cartridge works well with the 55 gr bullet. Lighter bullets are out of gas at long range. Heavier bullets may tumble at range. A good 55 gr boat tail such as the Hornady V MAX or Nosler Ballistic Tip will be hard to beat.

H380 may be the fastest powder, but Varget and IMR 4320 may be more easily available. I have had great results with Varget in several calibers.

One can routinely get 3600+ fps out of this round with a standard barrel.

Newer brass may be better suited for precision prepping. Older brass may vary more in weight and neck runout, and will be more likely to split the case neck.

Neck sizing is a good idea, but don't forget to watch case length.

Precision loading techniques will bring out the best in your rifle.

BTW, I get the best accuracy from 22 centerfires with the bullet seated about .015" off the lands.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Most 22-250's love Varget. You need to check the twist or look it up so you can use the best bullets.

Mine is a 9 twist, likes 55 grain and up. a 12 or 14 will want 55 or less.

You know you are wrong when you see the sideways imprint of a bullet in the target.

The Lyman manual I have has a list of rifle twists in a table.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.