1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/2006 Envoy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by boss man, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boss man

boss man TS Member

I have a 2006 GMC Envoy and when I turn the fan blower to any setting below high the cruise quits,all of the icons on the dash come on and the whistles and bells go off. And there are times when the fan motor doesn't work at all.I had it at a GMC dealer for 5 hours at 73.00 dollars an hour and they have no idea what it is, so I brought it back home. Any ideas or suggestions.

2. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Did they check the alternator output?

3. BPSR

BPSR Member

Being a 2006 you'd think you would have some warranty left???? Must be over on the miles.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

No such problems...yet, on my '06 Envoy

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You need a Priest! Have one do an exorcism and you should be good to go. :)

Seriously, I'd look at the basics first. Battery cables, grounds, fuses, harnesses, alternator, battery, etc. Even a little AC output from the alternator can do bad things to electronics.

A good tech looking for the common denominator to all of the affected systems should be able to pin it down. Do all of the circuits share a common ground, fuse, component, or power feed? If so, a little corrosion or a loose/poor connection can cause headaches. It would require an accurate wiring diagram of the vehicle and a little detective work to start. Another question to answer would be: Was there ANYTHING done to the vehicle recently around the time the symptoms first appeared?

6. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

The first thing I would check is the current draw of the fan in low and then high. It sounds like the bearings (bushings) in the fan motor fan is so dry that it will only run in high speed. Heater fans are known for high current in normal operation anyway and if this goes to the max it is pulling the voltage down and the voltage regulator in the dash can't handle the dip.

Jere

7. peavine

peavine TS Member

We're seeing a lot of melted connectors at the blower motor from the loose connections. Could be pulling too many amps and causing through the loose/melted connector. Also, have seen Body Control Modules go haywire and cause all kind of funky things to happen. Jonathan Taylor

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I just turned in a Trailblazer that was my leased company rig before I retired. It was the biggest lemon I ever encountered. Electrical problems up the wazoo constantly. Only put 30,000 miles on it in 4 years but I could not keep it running without issues. It is basically the same as an Envoy. It is no wonder GM is in trouble and the American people are shying away from their cars. I have two Fords and a Toyota for personal rigs and never a glinch with any of them

9. boss man

boss man TS Member

About 4000 over

10. boss man

boss man TS Member

A GM tech look at it for about 5 hours then I told him to put back together and I took it home. About 1 year ago we had to have something on the fan motor replace because the fan would run on high only. This time if you turn the fan down while the vehicle is running the fan stops and the only way to get it going again is to turn the key to off and restart the vehicle. Just a pain in the ___.

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

1st off they should look for codes, Im sure there is a loss of communication code somewhere in the system. Tons of melted connections on the newer gms in our shop. Blower fan resistor,blower motor ect ect. Many bad dash units also. Check charging system and all fuses.

Have you ever had your windshield replaced? sounds to me like a bad ground or faulty control unit. loss of voltage or good ground can cause many problems.

unfortunately.com can take time to find the root of the evil possession.

If you go to Alldata try a free trial and look up all the electrical service bulletins for you 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.