1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** OT *** 1949 Ford 8N

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by InsureGuy, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Evening Gents & Ladies

For the past 8 months I have been slowly restoring a Ford 8N. I have purchased a great many new parts and planned on selling the tractor when completed. A friend who restores them professionally has been guiding me on the restoration process. he's got an 8500 square foot auto garage that he purchased last year. Well he's gotten extremely busy and he's telling me now that I can no longer keep my tractor there. He called me up and told me that I have to park one of my family cars outside and put my tractor inside my garage.

To be honest he's been my best friend and this sort of pisses me off. He's got 3 or 4 cars in this garage of his that are various states of crap and I have got a partially restored tractor that is soon going to the sand blaster and paint. The parts left to assemble are maily all new. Given the time I could have had this tractor done in a couple of months. But that's just it. I have not had the time lately to get there and work on it.

question here is, do i try to sell the tractor the way it is, or do i try to find soemone else to complete the restoration ? Does anyone on this site know someone who may be able to handle this project ? I live in Illinois and I could haul some distance if the price was right.

jason

2. oldsoul

oldsoul TS Member

Rent space in a storage yard, have sand/paint done by pro, assemble with new parts, sell, thank friend for time and advice, buy new gun and shoot trap. No problem there! Really, my MF TO-35 runs to good to restore, so it sits out in the yard until I need it.

soctt

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Insureguy"

Ok i will try to read between the lines and see if I am close to why you have to move it to your own garage.

Ok first you said it has been there for 8 months and it looks like in a big garage with other uncompleted projects from the friend.

Then you said he got to busy to help and also you got to busy to get there to work on it.

So does your best friend have a wife or anyone to answer to if so then im sure she was the one that brought this all on because she thinks you should pay a storage fee and has seen he hasn't finished his projects and figured the same with yours too and im sure he is trying to keep the peace around the house.

Ok if he don't have anyone to answer to then you deserve a explantion since you are good friends with him.

Ok what part of IL are you from I had a old boss that lives in the very southern part and is into tractors but I think it may be the Allis Chambers though but he might know of some ford guys around.

Ok wondered if I was close to why you have to move it or not as far as him having a woman that wears the pants in the house hold.

Fog

4. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

It apparently doesn't hold any sentimental value, you've been too busy elsewhere to mess with it, if you can sell it as is and get out from under it, sell it. If you want to complete it, rent a storage building and go to work.

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I have rebuilt a few 8N's. Always wanted one with the flathead Ford V8 like in the picture. Where was the picture taken? Glenn

6. ccridr

ccridr Member

It IS his garage, you have the parts and havn't finished your project in 8 months, why do you expect free storage from your friend? I would be willing to bet that if it were in your garage and your car had to set out side you would have finished it or sold it by now.
    I think it is time to be a friend and move your project like he asked you to.
    Colby aka ccridrI

7. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Park one of your cars outside, no big deal people have parked cars out side for around a 100 years now. But if this tractor project is less important to you than a car, or keeping a friendship, sell it.

As a side note you said your buddy was getting busy, and you`ve had the use of his shop for 8 months, sorry but I don`t think you should be po`d at him.

Tom R.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hairy,

Great pictures! I really like the "Funk Conversion". I always thought that the V/8 was a little overkill for a PTO tractor. Great conversation pieces to say the least.

ec90t

9. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

You'll find a lot of varying opinions, but most folks that restore old Ford's do so for the love of the machine and the tinkering. The one thing I'm pretty sure about is that it is difficult to get your money and a profit back out of your work. I have had a 49 8N and now have a '55 650 Ford Tractor(the NAA or 600 series is a lot more tractor in my opinion BTW, while maintaining the look of the 8N). While I love my tractor and have done most of a restoration on it, I know that I will be lucky to get my investment back out of it. Fortunately, I love my tractor and don't care about the profit.

There are many sites that have extensive knowledge and forums for tractor lovers. The best, IMHO, is Yesterdays Tractors. They also have many links to other sites and even companies that restore tractors as well as parts. Go to the Ford 8N forum and read and search.

all the best,
    john

10. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Insureguy,

As an “Insureguy” had there been a fire in this shop and your tractor was destroyed, who and under what policy would it be paid for? (Hint; remember the care, custody and control exclusion) Also, if the fire was caused by your negligence and his shop and the neighbors shop were burned down, how would that be covered? What if the 8N would have vanished while in his care was there coverage for that?

Personally if I had an insured that ask about letting his buddy store and work on that project, I would have let him know that his personal policy would not cover those exposures and getting a commercial carrier to pick up that kind of exposure would be all but impossible. I would have strongly advised against entering into this type of exposure. You as an Insureguy should have advised him that way and he should have never allowed you access for that purpose in the first place.

So from a risk management perspective I can say that your buddy is right to do what he has done and for no other reason, as a professional you should understand.

11. William681

William681 Member

Have one. Still using it to plow, disk, plant, and mow. Other than a valve job a few years ago it still runs like a champ. Restore it and love it but don't burden others with your hobbies.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

collections of ford 8ns