1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT 11-87 won't group with slugs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by avidtrapshooter, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Alright, I have an 11-87 special purpose with a fully rifled barrel on it. I bought a bunch of sabots for it and started shooting yesterday and nothing would group, 6" at 100 yards was the smallest I could get it down to with winchester super X sabots. I tried various other slugs, coppersolids, several of the light fields, federal, all with 2 3/4 shells as I despise the recoil of the 3". This was shot from a benchrest. What could be wrong here? I am getting sick of spending $10-$15 for a box of 5 fricken shells, and to top it off they don't shoot worth a damn. My smooth bore barrel with remington sluggers is more accurate then this and at 1/3 the price!

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Even though I love my 870's and past 11-87's, my accuracy problem was not solved until I bought the H&R Ultra Slug. My Rems never did better than four to five inches at 100yds. My H&R has always done around two to three inches at 100 yds with various brands of ammo. Have you tried the Lightfields? Thank goodness my state just adopted limited range rifles (357, 44, 45lc, 500's). Might not be quite the energy but a box of 50 44's cost only the same as 10 premium sabot slugs. My buddy has an 870 with a Hastings fully rifled that he is using the old foster type slugs and is getting about seven to eight inches at 100 yds. Good Luck !!!

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

My 1187 special purpose, rifled barrel, just like yours will touch holes at 50 yds. with lightfields. I have a new browning on order if you want to buy the rem.

4. avidtrapshooter

I don't really need another gun, but out of curiousity how much?

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Was it windy? The wind can affect slugs at 100yrds, a 10 mile per hr. cross wind can blow your slug 8" or a head wind can raise it, a tail wind will lower the impact. A seventeen mph can blow your slug 24" at 150 yrds. I sight in 2" high at 50yrds. Just so I'm not chasing the wind. Learned this from a fellow that makes custom high end slug guns a few years back.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Try www.tarhunt.com for a look at the finest slug guns made and much usefull info for the slug gun hunter.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Be sure you are using the right diameter slug with the choke. The remington sluggers arr smallerr and will fall right through an improved cylender choke in most cases. They won't group woth a crap in that case. Maybe ok in tighter chokes though.

8. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Shannon has a good point. The velocity of a slug is slow enough for just a slight breeze to move. If any wind at all is blowing, sight in an inch or two high at fifty yards and call it good.Deer season opens here week end after next Good luck!..........Roger

9. msmith

msmith Member

I also have the same problem with my rifled barrel 1100. I spent alot of $$ trying to find which slug would be the most accurate. I found out from various shells and patterns, the Remington rifled barrel has too slow of a (1 in 35) twist to stablize the fast slugs. (over 1700 fps) and thats why your gun liked the slow Winchester superX sabats- 1350 fps. Your probaly will not believe this but my 1100 shoots the $1.99 Winchester rifled slugs the best. I know about the lead build up in rifled barrels using rifled slugs so after every 5 or 6 shots, I pull my bore snake through it to clean it out. Try some cheap 1600 fps slugs and you might be surprised. I think the very accurate TarHunt gun has a twist of 1 in 24. Mike

10. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

It's a remington, My father bought a new 11-87 3 1/2 super-mag 3-4 weeks ago, gun shoots the first and sometimes second shell no problem, but won't feed the third shell into the chamber. Last week he bought a 7600 carbine. The gun will shoot a golf ball at 50 yds no problem with the steel sights, but the scope will not zero out at 50 yds, it still shoots about a foot low at fifty yards with the scope cranked all the way up. When the build these guns, they are putting the barrel on crooked. In other words the barrel and the reciever are not "TRUE" to each other. Long story made short, 2 remington's, both new are both back to the factory, and the factory told my father that ther was a 6 week wait. Goes to show the quality of the new line of remingtons, I've also got stories about 7400's, with problem's shooting horizontal, not vertical, with more than one gun. In a nutshell new remington's are junk!!!

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You didn't mention what you are using for sights. A receiver pin mounted scope would account for your accuracy problem as would most of the open sights commonly found on slug guns.

12. avidtrapshooter

Thanks for the feedback. It has a cantilever scope mount. I am going to try the cheap rifled slugs I can't afford anymore worthless sabots that cost 5X more. I read up on it a bit and called remington and I am wondering why remington makes a slug that shoots at velocities that there own guns cannot stabalize i.e. the remington ultra bonded coppersolid 1900 fps. Thanks again for the info posted so far.

13. msmith

msmith Member

I think Remington makes a 1900 fps slug, so they can advertise it as being fast and flat. I still believe 1900 fps is to fast for a 1 in 35 twist barrel. Try a slower (1600 fps or lower) slug and you probaly will be happy. I am glad my 1100 likes the cheap rifled slugs because of the price of the high velocity slugs. Mike

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

The gun that I described above is an open sight gun. It was, however made in 1995. It has never had another brand of slug through it besides Lightfield. It too, had cycling problems out of the box.

15. avidtrapshooter

My 11-87 used to have cycling problems as well I would fire 1 shot and the one coming in from the magazine wouldn't chamber. I sent it to remington when my magazine tube broke and when I got it back, after 12 weeks and $240 later...it worked like a champ and has ever since. I am going to head out today and picke up some remington sluggers and some winchester rifled slugs and see how they shoot in comparison, heck maybe I'll post pictures of the sabot slug vs. rifled slug at 100 yards through a rifled barrel.

16. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My H&R Ultra Slug Hunter is for sale for 165.00 plus shipping to your FFL. I no longer need it as we now have a rifle season. Bryan

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

http://www.brennekeusa.com/

If you can find them use/try the above slugs.

18. avidtrapshooter

Yes it was windy when I was shooting, I didn't think wind would effect a slug so much, I thought it would be maybe an inch or 2.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... you also must ask yourself just how accurate do you want it to be? If your looking for rifle accuracy you will never get that with what you have and for 100yds what you got aint all that bad. Just what exactly were/are you expecting?

Try grouping at 70 or 80 yards which is much closer to what you should actually be shooting at with a slug even a sabot slug but it is good to know just what happens at 100yds as well.

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The wind makes a big difference. I was not a beleiver until I was showed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

11-87 barrel grouping problems

cannot get my slug gun to group

custom slug barrel for remington 11-87

remington 1187 accuracy issues

remington 1187 slug gun accuracy