1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OSHA will end our sport in one month

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WA682X, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WA682X

WA682X TS Member

You really need to do this search. OSHA has a new set of rules out for public comment that will kill most of our mail order component and AMMO purchases. They are going to impose new rules on the vehicles that can carry any powder or primers (including loaded ammo). This has not recieved a whole lot of notice, but several groups are trying to make noise now that they know. The NRA has said they are aware, but need help. If you value shooting contaact your Congress people, they can use budget resolutions to force OSHA to toe the line.

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main

You then need to search OSHA-2007-0032 to comment.
    Steven

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The linked page is easier to read...

Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens
    Firearm and Ammunition Industry

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.

As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).

NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

Click here for a template letter. If you choose to draft your own letter, the reference line must read as follows:

RE: Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
    Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on
    "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866

Please fax the letter to: 202-693-1648 (include the docket number and Department of Labor/OSHA on the cover sheet and in the reference section of your letter).

Please e-mail the letter by visiting: http://www.regulations.gov and following the submission instructions.

3. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Fuching govt at it again.....Don't worry, Jorge Bush will save us.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wireguy, if you select "all documents open for comment" you can get there. It's on page 18. A PITA to scroll to it, but I did post my letter. I printed a copy for my files too.

NO wonder nothing gets done. Damn octopus website.

Congressmen will get it next.

HM

5. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

Firstly, OSHA does not have the authority to regulate individuals, just employees. Secondly, the DOT regulates the hows and whys of materials being transported on the public roads. The law in question is in regards to employees transporting these materials and the actual Federal Register states all it is doing is changing the words and definitions so that it matches the DOT's definitions. It will not have anything to do with shooters at all unless you are employed by a company that requires you to transport primers and powder in the course of your employment.

6. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Still and all, there will be increased costs passed on to already stretched buyers.

Before NAFTA many companies were "98%" OSHA clean. To get to "99%" the law of diminishing returns applies and companies spend many times more dollars to get that "1%"

So, what's the solution? Simple. Move everything to Mexico, China and other third world nations where there are NO REGULATIONS, no workers' rights. no healthcare and polluted rivers run with solvents, dyes, and all sorts of toxic chemicals. NO Emissions controls. NO safety....

OSHA and the BATF(E) I'm at odds to decide for myself which of these two agencies is a bigger threat to our freedom, well being and prosperity.

They should both be totally and completely DISBANDED.

7. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

People,

This is real, you need to go to the NSSF site and fax your letter's in now!http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?PRloc=common/PR/&PR=BP070207.cfm

Gary

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Gentleman -

You're right on the money. OSHA has absolutely nothing to do with transport, that's DOT, and they've had regs about explosives in place for 40+ years. There are NO DOT proposed changes.

I don't know who, but someone, or some group is fearmongering about this non-issue.

9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

Just employees? What about the employees of UPS, Federal Express, etc. that are doing the shipping?

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Bullet Points Alert

Threat to Firearm and Ammunition Industry

YOUR ACTION NEEDED IMMEDIATELY . . .

Proposed changes to an Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulation pose a serious threat to the firearms and ammunition industry.

Two proposed changes in particular would force retailers to shut down and evacuate their store when a thunderstorm approaches and frisk customers for matches and lighters as they enter the premises.

NSSF, the National Association of Firearms Retailers and the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute are encouraging everyone in our industry to take action and learn more about this very serious threat

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. My letter to Chao went out today.

12. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

jnoemanh: the group you claim is "fear mongering" is the NSSF - the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the industry watchdog. They don't publish BS.

I read through that 55 page pfd file - propellants (gun powder) are included

13. Bomber61

Bomber61 Member

Sent Mine in.

14. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Do you think in includes ammo for theives, thugs or the police? If a shut down of that magnitude happens, the country will be in revolt. There would be massive layoffs, no jobs, no relief, it would be a crippling blow to the economy,it'll be pure chaos.

15. Jornski

Jornski TS Member

My message was sent everyone do there part and help

16. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

17. trap4u2

trap4u2 Member

Just sent mine in this a.m. Joe B.

18. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"jnoemanh: the group you claim is "fear mongering" is the NSSF - the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the industry watchdog. They don't publish BS."

The fearmongering is being done right here. Read the title of this thread - "OSHA will end our sport in one month".

Do you really believe that? It's absolute nonsense, and it's intended to make people fearful. What the motivation of w682x is, I don't know, but it surely isn't telling the truth.

Prove it to yourself. Check one month from now and see if our sport has been ended. If fact check one month from now and see whether there has been any effect at all.

Better yet, if you really believe that OSHA will end our sport in one month, I'll make you a heckuva a deal. Keep your trap gun(s). Shoot them for the next month. Since they'll then be worthless, I'll give you $100 apiece for them. I can always use them for tomato stakes.

19. SOLOR GUY

SOLOR GUY TS Member

you guys should stop whinning. It is going to happen. That is a given and has been written in treaties for years now. Your guns are going, face fact your guns are going> whinning about it is just like peeing in your pants. It gives you a wet warm feeling but it is much better to do it the right way. This is a world community decision and agreement. You can wave your so called 2ND all you want it wont matter. They will pry it from your cold dead hand. They could care less you are just a terrorist insurgent. REALITY GENTLEMEN NOTHING BUT REALITY

20. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.