1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OSHA whacks RUGER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

One has to think that perhaps they are targeting a gun mfger as a way to further restrict??

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I gotta agree...it seems they are trying to make the world a hard place for shooters and manufacturers alike....very back handed, all the while they are claiming they are not anti gun in any way

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Not to say they are not witch hunting, but I have seen a lot worse violations. All but the $63k fine will go away in the end as they usually do. They will only stick if Ruger refuses to fix the problems.

The shrouds missing on moving equipment is definitely a no no and may result in fines. Now that being said if they do not drop the fines if Ruger shows adjustments in their plant then they have over stepped the lines.

This sort of thing happens on a regular basis with osha.

4. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Proposed penalties!! This is a long way from final. They will deal with OSHA and cut a deal and will pay far less. I have worked in the safety profession for 32 years, the past four as a consultant. Anytime you walk in to a metal fab you will find violations. Unguarded equipment is a serious hazard and to be willful, OSHA has to prove knowledge of the hazard and a conscious decision not to correct it. This will take years and I seriously doubt that OSHA treated Ruger differently than any other metal fab. Ruger will fight it either with in house lawyers or outside counsel and be OK. The legal fight has just begun and is really not that difficult. I would bet that if Ruger deals with this effectively, they will pay about 10% of the proposed penalty.

Mike

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Usually when this happens the company has had it's share of claims and complaints by their employees.....OSHA usually has to be called by a disgruntled employee or alerted by numerous claims before they will even bother......They are too understaffed to just be on fishing trips.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They probably heard Ruger sales were up 80% since Obama took office and saw a cash cow. Being an Arms manufacturer didn't help either.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

A dealer recently told me that Ruger will no longer make shotguns...fact or fiction? Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.