1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OSHA proposes $170K in fines against gun plant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mrskeet410, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

OSHA proposes $170K in fines against gun plant.

"ILION, N.Y. — Federal health and safety officials are proposing $170,000 in fines against the Remington Arms plant in upstate New York.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration says it has cited Remington Arms for 35 violations at its Ilion (IHL'-ee-uhn) plant near Utica. The Observer-Dispatch of Utica reports that (http://bit.ly/t3yzn2 ) the violations involve alleged mechanical, electrical and chemical hazards at the firearms manufacturing plant.

Remington Arms has 15 business days to respond to the OSHA. The company did not respond to requests for comment from the newspaper Monday."

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP22c415a2b08849d6be054fc8be90fb28.html

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

more at link

http://www.uticaod.com/m/news/x1963720994/OSHA-cites-Remington-Arms-for-35-alleged-violations

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

doesn't mean 'squat'...

an agreement will be reached. infractions corrected and a slap on the wrist token fine...

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

OSHA has turned into another POS money grubbing entity. They operate under the guise of safety and workers health and welfare, just a ploy, all about placing crippling fines on small biz America. Almost as bad as the EPA. (the non Union companies seem to take the brunt of OSHA's wrath these days.}

5. Crickets

Crickets Member

not on the OSHA Establishment search yet, Only thing there is from '09. It'll be interesting to see what they are. Probably things that 5 years ago would have totaled 10k-12k, but OSHA's new standard is to fine the max.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Insurance companies do more for workplace safety than OSHA ever thought of doing.

Shannon.........Lets see your source of information on your allegations.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'll post a list that was just in our local paper today, and you'll see Shannon is right.

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I have a friend who HAD a small non union construction company that had the unfortunate experience of winning a construction bid on a commercial building near a major thru fare. OSHA put him out of business. Completely broke him.

Unions don't have goon squads, or pickets anymore, they just send out OSHA, to break the scabs, if you needed to be made an example of.

They got plenty of rules and regulations to break you with if they put their mind to it.

Hell, if you woke up this morning you probably broke some rule or law.

In Remington's case, I'm just guessing they will have to pay the full amount, because they aren't in a politically correct business.

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've been a safety compliance manager/safety consultant since 1982 and if OSHA put your friend out of business it was because he deserved to be out business. Every time I see a small construction company at work I see guys without eye protection, ear protection, wearing basketball shoes, working in trenches without shoring, working at height without fall protection - every single citation issued by OSHA has to be referenced to a specific standard and those standards as well as compliance guidelines, help are readily available to anyone. OSHA even has a small business help section that will aid in getting programs in place to ensure employees are not exposed to hazardous work conditions. I'm not a fan of OSHA but they exist for one reason and that's the negligence,ignorance and greed of the employer. And in Remington's case, OSHA didn't just walk in the door; via an employee complaint or follow up to a serious accident they got in the plant and found enough discrepancies to levy fines. A company of that size has absolutely no excuse. They definitely have the money but have apparantly not had the wherewithal to have someone on staff to make sure they identify, correct, and mitigate hazardous conditions and work practices.

RM

ps- and yes insurance companies do a lot in the area of workplace safety - why? It's not for your benefit but it's for theirs. They want to keep every nickle of your premiums so it's in their best interest to take steps to ensure you don't have any losses.

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The company I work for has been given an OSHA's "Star" Award on 15 projects. More than any other engineering/construction management company

The old way of thinking was, "...doing all that dumb-ass safety stuff costs money and hurts productivity."

And that thinking is not only wrong, its wrong-headed. Its taken a lot of effort to get people out of that "dark age" mind set.

Strict attention to safety actually saves companies money. Lost time accidents cost far more than it would have cost to follow proper preventive safety rules in the first palce.

Yakimaman is right on target. If someone is put out of business by OSHA, they probably deserved it.

Remington should know better.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Someone is trying to get his "I'm a shooter and gun owner...really" bona fides in.

So... Mr Skeet, what's the name of the trap club you claim has a "whites only" policy?

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The problem with OSHA is that many of their regulations are arbitrary and any transition time on a project will create periods of non-compliance. Especially in excavation, site work, large masonry projects, and steel erection.

If a OSHA inspector is watching a steel erection project from a distance with a camera, he can record multiple violations at any time. Doesn't matter if it's a union job or not. No construction project is ever 100% compliant.

When they target a specific group of contractors it's a problem. Increased exposure to OSHA, always results in increased fines.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I also work in an industrial plant that is regulated by OSHA. It is very much as Tim says, the company knows it is just bad business to tolerate an unsafe work environment so when OSHA does come in their findings are usually minor problems that we resolve on the spot. Actual fines are very rare and clearly OSHA is not on a mission to put people out of work.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If you don't own the company I guess it would be no sweat when OSHA walks in your doors, after all, the fine does not come out of your pocket, if it did you would have a different prospective. (although the cost is eventually filtered down to the consumer and employees].

Don't get me wrong I live and eat safety every day as a contractor,(certified OSHA card}. but they have been very excessive playing the grey areas in my area. The OSHA code book is also difficult to navigate, purposely.

I did some work overseas, It was funny to see guys in hard hats wearing open sandals! They said they had ten toes but only one head! {:

15. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

"BS" Roger, its everyones responsibility when it comes to safety. Its the business mans (as you call him) responsibility to make sure that safety rules are implemented and adhered to. Its the employee's responsibility to follow the safety rules. Rick

16. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Damn Roger C - can't believe you'd ever be a manager in an organization I had anything to do with. If you are on my job site it is definitely my responsibility to see that you are provided with proper safety gear, trained to do the job correctly and that the workplace is free from recognized hazards - people like you exist on both sides of labor and are exactly why there has to be laws to ensure workplace safety.

"if people are dumb enough" crap! I can't believe that....

17. kolar1000

kolar1000 TS Member

Kinda makes you wonder why companies outsource doesn`t it.

18. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

You guys are being to rough on Roger C. If the employee is too dumb to wear the required PPE that is provided by the employer and the employer has all the expense of training that employee in its proper use. The company can not have someone standing behind the employee all the time to make sure they use it. If they don't and the employee gets hurt the employer is the one that pays.

There are some jobs in my work place that if you follow all the OSHA regulations, you absolutly can not do the job.

Robert

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Robert.......Every crew I've worked for had a foreman.....Its always been my understanding that the foreman runs the crew with the company's best interest in mind. Doesn't making the crew follow company policy fall into the company's best interest?

I will agree that you can't follow all the regulations and get your work done. Have you seen how thick their books are? They are like traffic laws, there is alway a violation, all you have to do is look for it in the book.

Roger C...Where I live if you walk off the job you can't draw unemployment. And the UNION I belong to not only would put you on the bottom of the out of work list but that list would most likely grow above you name for a while.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your wrong about the OSHA inspection and fines being no-sweat for the employee. If OSHA comes in and finds my area of responsibility to be significantly out of compliance its Adios for me. Thats the way real safety programs work, they aren't optional and you buy in or you are gone.

When it comes to getting the workforce to buy in it really isn't that hard - you simply require it and make it a condition of employment. If some individual forgets their PPE or is working dangerously the rest of the workforce will correct them nine times out of ten. If that doesn't sink in then its up to the supervisor/manager to begin progessive discipline that either turns things around or the problem person is terminated.

We don't have any jobs that can't be done safely and we work with a lot of nasty stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.