1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OSHA Launches Assault on Firearms & Ammo Ind.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porker, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porker

Porker TS Member

Field & Clays.com has issued a warning about OSHA Launches Quite Assault on Firearms And Ammo Industries. They have extented the ruling until 9-07 this would put the manufactures out of business and put us out of the Shooting Sport.

Please, contact OSHA, use; Re: No. OSHA-2007-0032, Comment on Department of Labor/OSHA Proposed Rule "Signifant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866.

There is also a Fax number, this can be found at Field&Clays.com.

2. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"this would put the manufactures out of business and put us out of the Shooting Sport."

That's about the 400th time this nonsense has been posted, but I'll make you the same offer I've made the other Chicken Littles who posted it. I'll give you $100 each for all the trap guns you own, cash, in advance. 12 months from now, you give me the guns. Since they're going to be worthless that's a good deal for you.

I need more tomato stakes....Deal?

3. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

AMEN!

And I will buy all reloading components.

As someone who has attempted to explain the FACTS, oh my gosh! Not on TS.com! FACTS! and have been discounted because someone wants to believe it because they heard it from -insert reliable source here-.

I deal with OSHA regulations every day. I monitor their actions through bona-fide channels, like the Federal Register. What I can't get anyone to understand is that what a proposed regulation looks like when issued and what it looks like when finalized, are two vastly different regulations. And in most cases, months and years later.

Want to know what I heard? 3 hole targets, 30 yard handicap and lets move from Illinois! LOL

4. Porker

Porker TS Member

Well if you have heard about OSHA and what they are trying to do jnoemanh, what have you done about it? As far as my guns, they don't need to be fed, they don't talk back and when I'm through with them I just clean them and put them in their cases.

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I received this throught Elliott Brothers and indeed can be a serious thing.

News distribution list

As reflected in the press release below, the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) is warning that new explosives regulations proposed by The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) pose a threat to ammunition manufacturers and retailers that is so severe that it could “collapse our industry.”
    The NSSF and SAAMI have held a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to explain the severe implications that these proposed regulations pose to our industry and they are urging industry retailers to contact OSHA to request an extension to the public comment period on the proposals.
    OSHA states that its 55-page proposed revision (attached) to federal regulations that cover explosives and blasting agents “is intended to enhance the protections provided to employees engaged in the manufacture, storage, sale, transportation, handling, and use of explosives.”

Jackie B.

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Here's the rest of the press release.

Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens Firearm and Ammunition Industry

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.

As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).

NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

This ain't good. Jackie B.

7. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

" jnoemanh, foot in mouth AGAIN?"

Naw, just being realistic. Tell you what, JoeE, mark this post, come back in a year and I'll let you apologize for fearmongering.

THE SKY IS FALLING!! RUN!!! RUN!!! LOL

8. TheGentleman

TheGentleman TS Member

We should let this thread die the same death as the proposed OSHA regulation.

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"what a proposed regulation looks like when issued and what it looks like when finalized, are two vastly different regulations"

And this has nothing to do with input received from voters and business owners???

I, too, have been dealing with OSHA for several years, as with various other branches of the government.

10. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

This is serious business. Both NSSF and NRA are on it.

You people out there with the attitude "this is a joke" are in for a rude, freaking awakening.

What are you doing to help stop it besides calling names at people who are simply passing along real news?

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

jnoemanh (sammy) just can't help being a fool. This OSHA rule would be a very big problem for anybody but a mythical shooter like sammie. His liberal buddies are behind this since they can't win legislatively.

12. Madmark

Madmark TS Member

I too deal with OSHA daily, on the compliance level. I have seen companies put out of business by OSHA. These companies had one thing in common- they underestimated the reach of OSHA's power. The "it can't happen to me" attitude is born of ego and ignorance. OSHA compliance costs huge amounts of money, and the fines for non compliance are even worse. The proposed regulations would have a huge effect on the shooting sports, PERIOD. Anyone who does not take this matter seriously has their head in the sand. (or up their rectal region) If the price of a box of shells triples, it will not affect the average shooter much. I know many shooters who can make a flat of shells last for the better part of a decade. We can not count on low volume shooters to take the time to get involved in this battle. It is up to ALL real shooters to make their opinions known on this matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.