1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Orthovisc injections (knee)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ljutic73, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've had them in both knees several years ago. Left knee wasn't in as bad shape as the right one (bone on bone on the right) and the left one gave me some relief for about 2 months or so but the right knee really wasn't worth the pain of the procedure or the cost ($400) of the product.

2. Willus

Willus TS Member

I had both knees injected with the "chicken fat" product. The results after 6 weeks, I have the same pain, if not more. Talked to Dr. at my 4 week check-up, he said these injections work 80% of the time. I asked what was the difference in the pain for the 80% group? There was no clear answer.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

might work for a week or two- if a week or two is worth it compared to the discomfort and pain- go for it

of course that week or two- you will be favoring the leg or legs that had the injection

it is too good to be true

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Two years ago this summer. Tore the miniscus and was about done walking. Dr. put me on something for inflammation. Two days later I put gutter guards on the roof (at least fifty trips up and down the ladder). He gave me a shot of the same stuff and I'm just now starting to think I might, in the near future, need another one.

5. old tex

old tex TS Member

Been there - done that - won't repeat.

Personally I got more relief with cortisone shots.

I now use large quantities of glucosomine, MSM, condrotin and liquid HA - much better results - no knee pain - I can walk and stand - still can't climb ladders or stairs and never expect to again. (78 this mo.)

unc

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I did my own test on Glucosomine-Condroitim a couple of years ago...took it religiously every day as directed for 6 months...nothing...nada...zero pain relief, so when I see it advertised for helping reduce pain from osteo-arthris , I know in my soul..and my knees, that it's just more snake oil IMHO.

7. tp

tp TS Member

I had three different series of injections of Synvisc (there are three injections per series). The first series was very helpful and effects lasted about 8 months. The second series was also effective although I really didn't notice the results for about a week after the last injection. It lasted about 6 monthe. The last series was not very effective. I finally ended up with a titanium knee.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Most injections like steroids or synvisc will only delay surgery if that is what you need in the first place. Some injections like steroids can eventually do harm. If you need surgery, then it's best to plan on it.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My wife had surgery and some residual pain thereafter. They used the Orthovisc and she required only one series... great experience, but no subsitute for Athroscopic or full knee surgeries or replacement.

If you got coverage and can afford the out-of-pocket (if any) don't wait on the surgery, get it done and improve your quality of life...

Jay

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Looked at the old records..mine was prednisone and cortisone. Still holding up but knee now feels weak two years later. I'd do it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
chicken fat in knees

chicken fat injection

chicken fat injections

chicken fat injections for knees
chicken fat injections for the knee
chicken fat shots
chicken fat shots for knees

orthovisc injections for knee