1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Orlando FL Chevy repair, your experience

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I am currently having to deal with Coggins Chevrolet in Orlando on a repair issue with our car that my daughter drove to Florida. I am in Pennsylvania so this is being done via telephone. I am wondering about the experiences of those who may have had dealings with the service department of Coggins. So far my experiences have been somewhat dissatisfying. Is this typical for Coggins service department?

Background: The car was driven to Florida last week and had no problems all the way there from northwestern Pennsylvania. Two days later it showed a "Check Engine" light and before it could even go more than a few miles, it started missing, sputtering and eventually losing so much power it could not be driven. A tow was arranged and since my daughter had no experience with any car repair shop in Florida, we simply had it towed to the nearest Chevy dealer service department.

The next day they ran a diagnostic on it and it came up with three errors. One was for an AC low pressure sw., the second was fuel evaporation system problem and the third was a throttle position sensor. They then tried another diagnostic and came up with all sensors normal. ( I suspect, but can not prove that they simply reset the memory.) They then said they drove it 40 miles to try to get the problem to show up and then had it running in the shop for an hour or two but no problem surfaced.

Daughter picked the car up the next day and within five miles the light was back on and the car was running rough. She managed to drive it back to Coggins. This was on Saturday. She told them the light was back on and the engine was running rough. They said they could not look at it till Tuesday (closed for holiday on Monday and no service openings on Saturday).

She called yesterday (Tuesday) at lunch time to ask what the problem was. They said they didn't realize it was back but would look at it that afternoon. She called again about 4:45 (technicians go home at 5:00) and "They were looking at it right then." She asked for a call back and leave voice mail if there was no answer (she is working a job which does not allow her to answer the phone a lot of the time.) She never got a call back or a voice mail. Coggins also had our home phone number from the first time the car was in the shop but there was no call to our number either.

I just called Coggins again. I got the "We are looking at it right now." response. I was also told that the service writer who wrote the call up Saturday is now on vacation and the call was only written up as the check engine light lit. No mention of the rough running. I have to say that gives me many doubts about the quality of this service department.

If you have dealt with Coggins (on Orange Blossom Trail), what has your experience been?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sounds like a typical new car dealer service dept to me

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

move up on the food chain quickly, grab a manager grab some emails I would NOT get nasty try too find somebody sympatathic for you suittuation.
    Jim

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

Might be the fuel pump is getting tired and not able to fully pressure the system. It has enough pressure to start and run (explains while the shop had it running) but once it gets up to operating temperature and put under load (with A/C, etc.) the cheap fuel will partially begin to vaporize in the injector rail before reaching the tip for injection, which would explain the rough running and problem with the evap system, which may in turn set off the problem with the TPS.

How old is the car and how many miles? I would also verify from the initial check in that they actually ran the car for 40 miles. Being that your daughter experienced the same problem right after picking the car up, I find it suspect that it was actually ran that much.

5. ctreay

ctreay Member

Get the local Chevy/GM factory rep's number and give him a call. I got the royal runaround from a Mercury dealer once. I got the FoMoCo rep involved and it was fixed right. Problem was that after I did that I couldn't get the time of day from the salesmen or the shop.

ctreay.

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Doing a bit more research on the company I came up with a discrepancy in names. Although I was told Coggins, the phone number I got comes back to Starling Chevrolet. The Coggins name is listed as a Honda dealer in Orlando. The GM/Chevrolet web site lists Starling with the phone number I was given.

The latest phone call to my daughter said it could cost $1400 dollars to replace the parts that might be needed but they could not say just what part(s) may be bad. The first thing they said was to replace all the sensor involved but I have a great deal of trouble accepting that as a "cure". It would seem to me that if the sensors were bad, it would either drop the engine back to a default condition where it would run less than optimum but it would still run. And why would three sensors all go bad and then, after reading bad once, go back to indicating no problem. Then when the car goes back in the garage, I don't know if they told my daughter just what error code is now showing and if so, what it was.

I guess I will have to now ask, just what has your experience been when dealing with Starling Chevrolet in Orlando? And the second question, is there a reputable and capable auto repair shop that you are familiar with and could recommend in the Orlando area?

7. BT99

BT99 Member

Call the AAA office in orlando. Ask for a service garage that they have on their "recommend"list.

8. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

If its a new car try the Chevy dealer in Haines City on route 27 I forgot their name but they fixed my truck with no problems

9. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who have replied.

We have contacted AAA and have the name of four AAA garages. I don't know how close they are to where our car is currently. My wife was doing the calling to try to find out since both she and my daughter are AAA members.

It is not a new car. It is a 2001 Cavalier with around 180 K on it. It has been well maintained by our local garage man. He checked it out just a couple days before the daughter left and it had no codes or other problems detected. Fuel filter was on the checklist to be replaced "just in case" since it had been a while, maybe 30 K or so back for the last change. Oil and all other filters got replaced also. It did need a small bit of body work and the AC compressor replaced. Both of those things were done in the weeks before departure.

The most recent code was a "Poor catalytic Converter Efficiency" code I am told.

Kenf, what you describe is basically what I thought might be happening although my idea was based on a car I had back in the 90's. The weather got much hotter than normal (up in the 80's for a couple of days in March). At that time I was driving back from about 20 miles away and after fifteen or so miles, the car started missing, losing power and eventually stalled out. I walked home and when we went back, in the cooler evening, to see what to do, the car started up and ran fine. It happened again the next day with temps still in the 80's but then the weather cooled back to a normal PA March temperature and every thing ran fine. By the time the temps got back to being high, the gas stations had gotten their summer blends and no more problems happened. The diagnosis was vapor lock caused by winter high volatility gas meeting an extremely hot day. That might have been a carburetor car but I am not certain. We were not the only ones who had the problem. It even got bad enough to make the TV news in our area.

When I asked about the possibility of vapor lock being the problem now, I was told by the garage that with fuel injector systems vapor lock is no longer an issue. But based on the similarity of symptoms, and reinforced by your comments, I am not convinced that vapor lock can be completely ruled out.

I also had another car that had the fuel pump go. That was definitely because of bad gasoline. The refiner ended up paying for replacing a number of fuel pumps and tows for people that had the problem. There was something added to the fuel that "ate" the electrical contacts for the in-tank pumps and fuel gauge sending units. Again, the symptoms were similar to what my daughter experienced.

We will be having the daughter take it to a different garage (AAA recommended if one is close enough and the daughter can arrange an appointment) as soon as possible.

One thing that I seem to detect is that the "Modern" service garages have gotten so reliant on the "computer" telling them what to do that they no longer even think about using some of the "old" ways to eliminate potential trouble spots when diagnosing a problem. Like checking pressure differentials on either side of the catalytic convertor to rule out a blocked cat convertor or exhaust pipe blockage or check fuel pump pressures and max flow rates in case of a fuel pump problem. Or spraying a fine mist of water on the distributor cap in a darkened garage to see if the spark is finding a carbon path to ground on the distributor cap. I will grant you that doing things the "old" way might take a bit of extra time compared to hooking up a computer plug but when the computer can't pinpoint the problem for you, it seems like just "shotgunning" parts is the next step used in a "modern" garage or at least in this "modern" garage.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It cannot vapor lock. Sounds like it could be the cat converter

11. burtona

burtona Member

My experience with check engine light issues is that the first response is to "throw some sensor parts at it". When that doesn't work sell an ECM software upgrade. When that doesn't work they assign a competent mechanic who correctly diagnoses the problem and fixes it.$$$$$$$$$.
    Volvo dealers are the worst - Never again! Nothing but Toyoto/Honda/Nissan and never again a GM (Govt. Motors) vehicle for me.

12. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Good luck on getting your Daughter's car fixed over long distance. Your problem sounds similar to one I had with my Daughter's car which was the same model. It could be the ignition control module which is a separate circuit board and spark plug coils mounted to the engine. It began operating intermittently and would run very rough and have low power because cylinders were not firing. The bad news is that if you drive it too long in this condition, it can damage the catalytic convert because the gasoline from the unfired cylinder can overheat the coverter and cause it to melt internally.

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

EFI cars can vapor lock. An ex had a Ford Probe vapor lock on her coming home from college one afternoon. About an hour into the trip the car started to run rough. This too was around March/April and on a warm day. Car was towed to the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. About two months later the fuel pump got replaced. Think of it the same as air in the brake lines.

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

From a info gathered from a number of different sources it appears that we are in for a new cat. converter and there is a good possibility of one or both O2 sensors also being on the list. The car, I was just told this morning, was taken to a AAA recommended garage for testing. There was never any mention of a mis-fire code, but I raised the question with my wife who is in frequent contact with the daughter, so I hope the garage will check for bad plug(s), coils, ICM etc.

15. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I am a mechanic in Michigan and none of the codes so far could cause the symptoms that you are describing. Even with all the codes the car should be able to run. My thoughts are a possible weak fuel pump, I have seen many vehicles have bad fuel pumps after changing the fuel filters, but these also haven't had the filter changes in 100,000 miles and was almost plugged. The other possibility is the dependent on the engine and ignition system. Older caviliers had either a 2.3 or 2.4 with the module and coils built under a cover on the engine. There is also usually a big white plastic piece that holds every thing and doubles as the wires, I've seen these go bad also, but usually happens all the time. Just my .02. Hope you get it fixed without to much more issues.

John MI.

16. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

HC John,

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering, would a weak fuel pump have any code for itself that would show up on a diagnostic? Or would the weak fuel pump only show up indirectly by triggering some other code or set of codes?

Another thought just came to mind, would a small leak or such in the fuel line from the tank to the injector (I presume this model has an in-tank fuel pump) give the same symptoms but not show up with any direct error code? She has not mentioned any need to crank the engine for a longer than normal time for it to start, which I would think would indicate a pressure leak in the fuel system, to allow the pressure to build up to a normal running pressure? But then again, she may not have even noticed a longer crank time or thought it significant. Would this be something a garage would look at as a possibility for the problem and error codes that are happening?

17. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

The check engine light is directly related to emissions issues. Please gogle emissions warran and you will discover these repair cost are covered by warranty for greater mileages than you would expect. This is federal law. No dealer will tell you this but all you have to do is ask. the mileage coverage is dependent on year of car, for example my son in law owned a 2005 Chevrolet p/u, it had an engine warning light illuminated that was a 1300.00 repair, catalytic converter and sensors, after i made him aware of federal law ans emissions warranties truck was repaired under warranty. Please google this and/or consult that vehicles owners manual...Larry Lockhart

18. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

My daughter took the car to another repair shop. My wife, daughter and I are much more satisfied with the attitude and helpfulness of this new shop. They fully explained what they found and why they suggested the course of action that they did. It involved a new cat converter, one new O2 sensor, and based on the performance issues and his experience, a new fuel filter, Not sure if the filter was bad from contaminated gas or manufacturing defect.

They were also very accommodating when it came to arranging a way to pay for the repair even though we are 1500 or so miles away. That allowed my daughter to arrange an after hours pickup. The total cost was substantially below what we were told to expect by our local garage man. This was helped by the AAA and the Disney "Cast Member" discount. Now we get to run the car for a while to see if all the problems are cleared up.

So far I am quite satisfied with Don's Complete Car Care aka Don's Mufflers. A few days of driving without problems and my rating will be a 5 out of 5 stars. If a problem does surface then my rating will be based on what happens after the problem is discovered.

The mileage was considerably above the warranty limits for the emissions control system so there is no coverage there.

Thanks to all who replied. Your input is much appreciated.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I wdould bet money that your convertor is plugged up.

A good muffle shop can perform a flow test. they drill a hole in the convertor and measur how much is passing through it.

Just went through it with a car that only had 85 thousand on it. we replaced fuel filter, plugs, checked fuel system stuff,and it refused to run till we got the plugged convertor out of there.

HM

20. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Just a quick update. Car picked up from Don's and is running fine. No roughness no "check engine" lit. So far so good.

Interesting isn't it how daughters (and sons to I bet since I don't have any to have personal experience) are so very sure of their independence but when the car goes bad, it just about always seems to be Dad that gets the first call! ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.