1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

orion self opener

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by harpo, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harpo

harpo TS Member

i have a 1970's weatheryby orion 32" trap gun problem is sometimes it turns into a self opener after i shoot any ideas before i take it to a gunsmith if i can fix it myself it will save money for more shot thanks harpo

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sounds like an issue with the top latch itself. Typically this would be a bad spring, or a loosened screw or the like in the latch assembly.

Find an exploded view and see how hard it is to repair - some guns are easy, others far from. I have no experience with the Weatherby, but you need to do some research...

I've even seen this happen with some guns if the latch is over oiled...

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Make sure it hasn't been over oiled in the lockup area. I can get my Browning to do that if I heavily oil the barrels and leave it muzzle up in the safe over the winter. This may require buttstock removal, gumout spray, high pressure air and a LIGHT re-oiling.

Considering it's age, not to mention usage, it may be something more serious.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.