1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Original pitch -vs- Bio targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi guys: I'm going to be making a purchase of clay targets for our Trap fields. We switched to Bio's thinking it was the right thing to do. Since in use they've killed all the grass and the pitted the Trap machine Plate. My question: Are these things worth the devistation? Being a good neighbor, good PR, etc. is one thing but I don't like them. Dave T.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

The White Flyer Bio's are not worth the effort. Great idea but they kill the grass, Pit the trap machines and drive the soil pH in the wrong direction. Am surprised that WF have not revised the product.

TB

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

We have a small club, about 15 shooters, one day a week. No ATA events. Dave T.

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

The picture above was taken at the Ft. Bragg GC near Fayetteville NC. The picture pretty well says it all.

They wanted to use Lawry and I think they still do for skeet. The trap program switched back to White Flyer pitch targets.

The Gastonia GC in NC uses Lawry and they have not killed the grass. Some think that the Lawry is a hard target to break?

Good luck!

FR

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

The Bio's contain sulphate's. When the debris get damp, some sulphuric acid is formed. Also, they absolutely are not biodegradable, they simply slowly dissolve in water. No biological agent is involved.

Pat Ireland

6. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Yea, but they taste so much better than the pitch targets !!!!

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you maintain your fields you should have no loss of growth. FR buy the looks of your trap field from the 27 line to the house grass maintainance is not a big deal with your club anyway. I find that the heavy layer of wads is far more destructive than the clays. Pile anything in layers it will kill grass.

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I'll switch back to pitch. I only go theru 4 pallets a year anyway. Thanks everyone. Dave T.

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ft. Bragg isn't my home club but we did grow up shooting at the Pinehurst GC.

Do you have a "sandy" soil to maintain at your club?

I need to find pictures of the early days before the bio's killed the grass.

Take a look at all the grass not in the target/wad/shot fall area?

FR

10. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

We have shot Lawry "Environmentally Friendly" targets for a couple years now.

They have not made any impact at all on the growth of vegitation. I speak from personal experience since I cut the gass on the entire field a couple times/year. It is n't a cosmetic thing, if I didn't, the dogwoods and thron bushes would take over in no time.

11. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Here is a picture of the Gastonia GC in NC. Notice the target debris down near the edge of the field.

These folks are on the edge of a lake and there is a lot of vegetation in the shotfall area.

They are the only club in our state that uses Lawry for their trap program!

FR

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Something I would like to mention about the White Flyer Bio's. Mac said "If you maintain your fields you should have no loss of growth."

I shot here in Mass at Singletary Rod and Gun for a lot of years. I also mowed all of the grass that was mowed with the club's Large tractor. On the property there is a old trap field(actually two fields that have been abandon since the late 60's) In a couple of tight turns during the mowing process I used to lock one rear wheel to spin the machine around quite quickly as room was limited and if I did not do this there would be a big(10 or 12 foot area that would not get mowed. One day while doing this I looked down and low and behold there under the turf about 3/4 of an inch below the surface. Thousands of pieces of old pitch targets!!! Guess what the grass and brush(if it was left alone to grow)would grow right over the old targets. No maintenance needed so please tell me why any club should have to worry about maintaining the fields just to throw Bio's a target I might mention that is killing the vegetation?

Bob Lawless

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

We also have experienced a loss of grass et; with the bios. We have no problem with either Lawry or White Flyer pitch. Shoot well and often, Bob

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Bios cost more in correcting soil PH and machine maintenance. I see a lot of dust tails with no pieces off these things. I much prefer pitch targets.

BTW, Bio targets are NOT "environmentally friendly", but are "environmentally acceptable". Acceptable to who?

The field above was captured in early winter. The club is obsessively cared for. The Bios are like grass killer. Even bugs don't like them.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Most plants grow best in a basic soil. Bois make the soil acidic. A lot of lime will help the grass where the Bios land but will not do much for the acid that might form on the machine. Lime will also help the lead problem in the shot fall area.

Freddie(FR) did you really "grow up" at Pinehurst or did you just get older? Pinehurst has sandy soil. It is in an area known as the sand hills region and it used to be the floor of the ocean.

Pat Ireland

16. porky

porky TS Member

If you have a brand new range and wanted to keep the pitch targets from leaching out into the soil, then Bio's would be a natural choic. If you have ever shot pitch type targets at your range, then you already have the pitch in the soil and the Bio's won't do anything except kill the grass and make the soil really acidic. Since there is a large amount of lead in the soil after shooting, the pitch is the last thing to worry about.

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The sulfur binder in the Bios can have an impact on the vegitation and for those disciplines like skeet or sporting where up close visibility is seen, Bios can offer landscaping issues. However, we've been shooting the Bio for 7 years and are one of the first clubs to use them consistently.

We are trap only, so our shotfall zone is off in the distance somewhat hidden by upfront foliage. Second with ADEQUATE moisture/UV exposure the Bios will degrade in 24 months - so you folks in drier climates or most only seasonal rainfall - that is not going to happen.

Lastly, it all costs - you can't leave pitch target debris forever, its got to go sooner or later - so the cost of managing your target debris - a bobcat, dumpster, possible TCLP test and/or permit is going to out weigh any lime expense one may or may not have.

Lastly, clean your traps - pitting only comes from target debris/moisture - get Hazel out there and wipe them down/blow them out from time to time and shield them from moisture - if your traps are collecting Bios debris, how filthy are you letting them get and why are they getting wet?!

Do pitch tragets break easier than Bios?... maybe its the target formulation, but Bios break well enough - but I will say we don't get the smokeballs.

For some clubs, pitch targets are no longer an option.

Jay

18. bamboovast

bamboovast TS Member

I am a bio clay target manufacturer/supplier from China near Shanghai. Our target is not only biodegradabe but also grass friendly.
    The reason of it is made from natural clay without pitch and any toxin element. It will be 100% degradable within 7 - 14 days under the rainfall weather. Grass and trees are growing well in the field for using this clay target. Harry

19. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Some great pictures of excellent gun clubs, thanks guys.

Tom Strunk

20. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

bamboovast: Do you sell in the USA? Is there a web site with more info and pricing? Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.