1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Original Auto-Mate question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgcabs, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgcabs

kgcabs TS Member

Any idea who I can talk to about adjusting/working on the original. I talked to MEC and they could not help. Mine is over rotating after the cycle is complete....about 10 degress.

Thanks for the help....hopefully.

Karl

2. kgcabs

kgcabs TS Member

Mine has a bolt on the flywheel to trip the switch not the magnets.

3. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Go to Shotgunworld.com and ask a guy named CurleyNoHair in the reloading section, he has the same machine and is a expert on mec equipment. Rick

4. schneep

schneep Member

I find it hard to believe that MEC can't help. There service department is top notch and have rebuilt several OLD models for me. You can either send stuff in or make an appointment and take it in and wait while they rebuild. Just my .02 worth.

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

With any luck someone here will have contact info for Jim Benn in Metro Des Moines,IA.He is the original inventer and a nice guy.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Unfortunately and to my surprise, Jim Benn has for all intents and purposes dropped off the face of the Earth. I have not had a need to speak with him about my ATS AutoMate II, but others who have tried to reach him via phone or email report no luck.

Like a lot of others, I really thought Jim would stand behind his product and offer support to the customers whose purchases made his invention so attractive to MEC.

Ed

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

My original auto-mate does not necessarily over rotate but occasionally the inertia carries it past the stop point and the top carrage starts back down. I talked to the MEC rep at the spring grand about this problem. He didn't necessarily have a fix but did tell me that MEC uses a stronger main return spring on loaders they setup with Auto-Mate. This spring is available from MEC as a repair part. I haven't changed mine yet so I can't tell you for sure it will help. Maybe this isn't the "over rotation" you are talking about. I'm my case the die carrage starts back down then kind of slowly returns part way back to top.

jim brown

8. fix it

fix it TS Member

I have automate I that was purchased from Jim Benn which also rotated by the stop point. Called Mec and talked to Scott Buchuber, sent circuit board to him at Mec and they replaced 3 brake relays. It has worked great for 2 years now. Jim Benn was suppose service the automate I but he is lost. Mec was great for helping me out.

9. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Make sure when the cycle is at the bottom the rod has to line up with the center of the wheel. You can do this by holding down the left button until it gets to the bottom. If it does not line up you will get a short stroke or over ride. This should be checked ever so often. Henry

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

hfrogdogc,

If you have the ORIGINAL Auto-Mate, the topic of this thread, there is not a chance to hold down the left button until the machine is at the bottom of the cycle. It did not come with that feature. People who bought an original auto-mate were offered the chance to buy an upgrade to allow this feature.
    There was an original Auto-Mate (ATS) and an AutoMate II, which has this feature built in. After that, MEC began producing it.
    I have never had any problems with mine but I wish I would have paid for that upgrade.

Tim

11. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Tim

You are right,I'm Wrong. I believe the only way for his Auto-Mate to get a Over-Ride is to out of Time. Henry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.