1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon State ATA State Shoot Program On Line!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trapcat1997, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trapcat1997

Trapcat1997 TS Member

Greetings, Shooters!

As a personal and professional favor to our trapshooting neighbors to the south, I am posting a link to the Oregon State Shoot Program Online.

This year, it will be held at the Walla Walla Gun Club, April 3-6, and promises to be another fine shoot.

We hope to see you up this way!

http://www.shootwsta.com/19897_Program.pdf

Take care,

Kim Stephens
    President
    Washington State Trapshooting Association

2. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Thanks Kim, looks like a good program. SR VET BRGII

3. Trapcat1997

Trapcat1997 TS Member

It sure does. Oregon State puts on a great shoot. Lots of fun, great targets, and they really do an outstanding job supporting the youth shooters of their state.

Take care,

Kim

4. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

The Oregon State Shoot is held in Washington state?

5. JStephens

JStephens TS Member

Yes,

Walla Walla borders Milton Freewater (Oregon).

6. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Oregon hosted their own State Shoot last year, didn't Medford do a great job? Thanks David

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

David, originally at last year's shoot in Medford, the shoot was awarded to Madras, OR who had plans for expansion and improvements, however there was a move, by membership vote, to change the date from April (wind and cold) to either June or July depending on a free date. Madras basically said they would not support an April shoot due to predictable weather and the state BOD decided changing the date was not acceptable so they re-awarded the shoot to Walla Walla to "maintain historical date and venue." Walla Walla does have a history of throwing this shoot which is well attended by the Central and E. Washington shooters.....Bob Dodd

8. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

On the cover of the Oregon State Shoot program it states that the shoot's Host is the Hermiston Gun Club, inside the program there is a map of Walla Walla Gun CLub, and on the back page there is the registration certificate that indicates that the shoot is being held at the Medford Gun Club facility..???

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Rvator97, I have no authority but I do know Hermiston, OR is the host, it's to be held at the Walla Walla, WA facility, and can only guess someone could have failed to notice the mention of Medford club; probably not noticed as needed for a change from last years program details. My shame for suggesting Walla Walla was the host instead of simply the venue where it will be held....Bob Dodd

10. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

David, they did a good job, but most of the Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, and Idaho shooters didn't attend because of the prohibitive distance to Medford from these areas. I realize that this puts you and the other shooters from the South Eastern and Southern Oregon shooters in the same position. I believe that a more centrally located trap facility will be chosen next year. Mr. Dodd is correct about the date of the shoot, as weather can be damn iffy in the central portion of the state. BRGII PS I hope you can make it.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

BRGII, lets say it like it is and I mean no flame personally to you or others. The decisions in the past and currently have favored the ATA shooters in the far east knowing they'll attract a maximum number of shooters from E. Washington, Idaho, and beyond at the expense of ATA shooters in the Western portion of Oregon who may be as reluctant to travel as the non-Oregon shooters are reluctant for that travel in reverse when the shoot is held in the western third of the state. Yes, a more central location is very important to attempt to include the maximum number of Oregon State shooters first and consider the out of state shooters next. The selection of April for a shoot as important as the State Shoot also needs to be revisited considering the weather in the high desert of central and eastern Oregon and Washington. My $0.02....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

12. orange crusher

orange crusher Member

I will reply to this issue only once and this will be it for the year. There continues to be the same (and mostly incorrect) “conspiracy against the Western Oregon ATA shooters” arguments the OSATA Board has heard since the first time the state shoot was held in Walla Walla, WA. As much as folks would like this be a scandal, it really isn’t such.

The OSATA awards the state shoot to a host club based upon a bid process where the clubs desiring to host this event submit bids to the OSATA BOD at the state shoot. With only 200 ATA members in the entire state of Oregon, and only 100 of those shoot targets in a given year, you can imagine this isn’t the largest event in the history of trapshooting. For most of the past several years the BOD has received no bids from clubs wishing to host the event, and the BOD had to scramble to find a club willing to step up and take the responsibility as host club.

This past year we had bids from both Madras (Jefferson Co.) and Hermiston to consider (a windfall!!) at the state meeting. The BOD chose the Madras bid and planned to be holding the event in almost the center of the state. In October, the directors of the Madras club suggested that they would like to have the shoot during the month of June of July due to issues of weather, trap-help, and other logistics of hosting the event in April. Specifically, they would host the shoot during one week in June or one week in July, both of which conflicted with other large state shoot events in neighboring states – they would not consider an April date. There was only a single weekend in June that didn’t have another shoot conflict, but there were logistical issues at the Madras club with that weekend due to availability of trap-help and kitchen staff since school was not finished for the year. After reviewing the shoot dates and considering the conflicts, as well as the time left before year end, it was decided by the OSATA BOD to reject the Madras demand of hosting the shoot in June or July (which was the only time they would consider hosting the event) and giving the award to Hermiston to be held in Walla Walla.

I have been on the BOD for the past 6 years, and during that time we have received only two bids to host the state shoot at western locations – Cottage Grove and Medford, both of which were awarded the event by the BOD. Cottage Grove even bid for a July 4th weekend date and that was awarded with the proposed date change. You can imagine the inverse of the arguments were presented during those times by the eastern shooters – and they were.

I am certain there is no answer that will make everyone happy with either issue of location or time of year. With the impending financial constraints that all shooters are currently facing in fuel, component, and shell costs, it will be increasingly important to host events that will benefit the shooter's and gun club budgets. Bring your ideas or suggestions to Walla Walla and help the BOD of directors in their decisions for future events. (Sorry about the length of response).

John Adams- OSATA Secretary

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

John, I thank you for the explanation from your point of view and your long time work with the OSATA. Please forgive any remarks that may have caused you any angst - that was not intended. Let's say we agree 100% on this; there needs to be a central location in Oregon where all ATA shooters in Oregon can feel it reasonable to attend and during a time of year when some of us ol' geezers can stand the cold, wind, snow, or wet. I'm praying each night that the work on the new Bend Gun Club venue will solve some of those concerns and further hope that we all can work on finding a more suitable date even if we have to throw a shoot against a distant ATA or PITA state shoot, maybe even California or Utah. It seems to me that the loss of shooters by holding a shoot at the same time as a really distant location would be negligible at both venues. There simply must be other weeks that can work....Bob Dodd Life ATA and PITA since 1974.

14. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

I'm sorry, my question was not meant to ruffle feathers, I was just asking. With my location, I was planning to support the ATA as well as the PITA. I'm close enough to Reno/Carson City to shoot ATA. BRGII & BDodd, I hope to see ya one of these days down the road. Thanks David

15. DeVille

DeVille Member

Kim, I want to thank you for posting the program for the Oregon State shoot. We appreciate your support. I did not know about this post until last night, so am a little slow in responding. B. Dodd has done a great job in conveying my feelings on this subject. Since I have become Delegate for Oregon, I have tried to do what is good for the membership and keep them informed of what is going on within our State through my Delegates article in Trap and Field. I do and will support the OSATA, even if I personally don’t agree with some of the decisions that are made by our Board.

John Adams, our Secretary, and I have discussed these issues many time and we know how each other feel. There is not any conspiracy among shooters in our State. Yes, bids are put out for our shoot. But it appears to me that we keep shoving an April date ultimatum on those clubs and maybe this is why most are not interested. To back up that argument, Last year I started, and the OSATA took over a survey which was sent to all Oregon members. We asked when the shooters would like to have the State Shoot and why and also send in any comments and suggestions that they might have. The options were for April, June, or July. As I reported in March issue of T & F, the tally was 9 for April, 27 for June, and 28 for July. There was also a feeling out of the comments that the State shoot should not be held at any out of state gun club. All of you can see what course we have taken. I would encourage any of you to read the Oregon delegate column in the Feb. issue of T & F to see what happened with the vote etc.

As John said, there are only 200 or so ATA shooters in our state. I find that very sad. Maybe there is a reason for that. A well known shooter in our state told me after the last board meeting that some shooters just feel that nothing can be done so they will just shoot PITA. This is part of our problem. Those same people need to step up and get on the board and help those present directors. I personally believe that we need directors from Medford, Cottage Grove, Portland and Salem areas to make us stronger and help us grow.
    I am afraid that we will not have that many Oregon shooters at the meeting in Walla Walla to represent how most of the Oregon shooters feel. Hope I am wrong, but I will be there with my support. I feel like B. Dodd and others that Bend might be the answer. We can come up with a decent date for the shoot. With that and shooting in the middle of our state can only make things better in the long run.

John Adams has done a great job on the program. His plate has been full account of the shortness of time and he had to do most of the work. I hope that more shooters will step forward to give him and the rest of the OSATA directors some help in the future.

Dex Tourville, Oregon ATA Delegate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata oregon state trap shoot program

oregon ata state shoot

oregon ata state shoot 2015
oregon state ata
oregon state ata shoot
oregon state shootata
oregon state trap shoot 2015

osata state shoot