1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oregon chainsaw sharpener??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Anybody out there have one of these Oregon powersharp sharpeners? Seems to be the way to go if it works. It uses a different chain, just wondering how it cuts?

They have a video on there website that I posted above, opinions?

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Take it from a former faller,

If you can't afford to buy a $600 pro grinder, buy a $25-40 file-n-joint rack.

It clamps onto the bar and you can file both angles to the tooth thats needed to make it cut smooth.

Oregon makes one but I liked the file-n-joint system better. Sthil make one but I think its about $150. Well made though.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

as faller said is way to go for novice
    would have them redone by someome that does it all time. you get a couple teeth wrong and saw starts jumping you may get to cut something you didnt want cut

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have always used a Oregon file-n-joint sharpener. It takes some time and patience but I always end up with a chain that cuts like a new one.

Jim Skeel

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I think the other brand is Grandburg, Its a little smaller then the Oregon unit, thats the one I used the most until I purchased a Silvey grinder.

The Grandburg will handle both a round file or a chisel file, which only log cutter's worried about, we usually ran chisel style chain.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've got the files and guides, even got the electric chainsaw sharpener from Harbor Freight. I was interested in this new one from Oregon that says you can sharpen a chain on the saw in 3 seconds out in the field.

It uses a different chain than a normal saw - just wondering how it cuts.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have the AHarbor freight tool, works fine. Not as good as the one I used in the shop but adedquate for personal use.

Dremel has a system for their tool that is good too, consists of a guide that mounts on the grinder and appropriate stone for the chain. Works great.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chainsaw sharpener video

oregon file-n-joint for sale