1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ordered a PFS today. Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 548, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 548

548 Guest

Hello, I ordered a Precision Fit Stock this morning for my Etchen's Beretta Combo. Any PFS users have any advice as far as set up and use? My guess is start with the length of pull and then get the comb set up. What have you guys found to be the best setting regarding the recoil mechanism?

Thank You in advance.

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

As far as setting the recoil device. Vern suggests you tighten all the way in and then back out 10 turns. This is usually a good starting point. You will have to test fire and evaluate.

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I've been using mine now for about a year & love it.......If I were setting up it again I would set the LOP, height & angle of the comb, height & angle of the butt pad & screw the recoil device completely in so it doesn't move. Then move it out a couple of turns at a time & try it until you reach a point that you like. Some shooters can tolerate more movement than others. I finally settled on about 4-5 turns out for mine........gives me approx 3/8" of movement.

Good Luck with your PFS!

Oh, & by the way never hesitate to call Vern with problems, he's great to work with.

4. jimsw

jimsw Member

Follow Verns advice. Many shooters start with them too loose and get their head knocked off, then they stand around wondering what happened. I saw that at a major shoot one year, a top lady shooter had hers set so loose all it did was bottom out. Ouch!

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My advice would be to set a time period...2 weeks of practice...then don't adjust it for several months. The temptation is to adjust to the extreme. As stated above, set lop, toe in/out, comb height, recoil, practice and adjust. Dont be afraid to adjust it several ways several times, but when it shoots right stop adjusting a let it wear in while you get used to it.

JON

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Two suggestions, 1st, READ the manual! Vern knows his product. 2nd, get the Ultimate Fit comb. 3rd, I know I said two, but READ the book. Above info good as well. Jake

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If I had to shoot anything that Ugly I would Quit. Jeff

8. thunder

thunder Active Member

548 do as others have suggested except big bore 613 as he doesn't know what he is talking about.

9. Mike W

Mike W Member

I have four of them. I found that I needed to change the pitch to completely eliminate recoil to my face. I did that with angled pitch spacers. Once properly set up they are a joy to shoot.

10. us820

us820 Active Member

Get the brace for sure and my only advice is that the recoil adjustment that I find best seems way too firm when you just pull it into your shoulder.It shoots like a dream for me that way though.

11. us820

us820 Active Member

BTW,give it time.I felt funny with the stock moving at first and questioned if I would be able to get used to it.Buying that stock has been really good for my scores since then.It really has let me stop pulling my head.Great product.

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Great product, excellent recoil reduction but not enough offset for my narrow eyes!!

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

You have a PM

14. 548

548 Guest

Thanks everybody. You've all been very helpfull.

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

As stated, once it's set leave it. Resist the temptation to make changes based on a bad day at the range. Fine tuning may be called for over time but not often.

Robert

16. Lyle

Lyle Member

I would mount in on your .50 cal or on your M4 or AR-15 Bushmaster. In fact, you should outfit an AR-15 with a PFS and send a picture to your Grandfather, Joe Biden and show him what a real woman (548) shoots.

Lyle :)

17. laura!

laura! Member

I will echo a few others here. Get the ultimate fit comb!!!! The figure 8 thing is also worthwhile if it not now included. I have a PFS o my perazzi mx2000. I added a 1/2" & 1/4" positive pitch spacer and love it!

As far as the don't keep adjusting advice, yes, maybe. Keep adjusting it until it fits: until it shoots where you are looking, until the beads line up perfectly, until the length is perfect (not too "whippy" not too cumbersome).

ALWAYS check that every screw is tight before you shoot in competition. The screws loosen up too easily in aluminum.

18. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Buy a bottle of lock-tite. Once you get the stock set and crushing targets lock it down! Otherwise you may have 1 bad day and you will want to adjust the stock. This is experiance talking here. I had 1 on a bt-99 and had it set perfect. I was crushing targets from the 16 to the 27. But I had 1 bad day and started adjusting. Long story short...I could never get it back to the perfect setting I had it at before :( BYG

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Buy a bottle of lock-tite. Once you get the stock set and crushing targets lock it down! Otherwise you may have 1 bad day and you will want to adjust the stock. This is experiance talking here. I had 1 on a bt-99 and had it set perfect. I was crushing targets from the 16 to the 27. But I had 1 bad day and started adjusting. Long story short...I could never get it back to the perfect setting I had it at before :( BYG

True. I have four PFS and got them for the fit of the gun. Not so much for recoil. I have then set at 1/4 movement with 1 oz loads at 1250 fps.

20. 548

548 Guest

Thanks again everybody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.