1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ORCAS ISLAND GOOD GUY AWARD

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ddrsuz, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

OK, so it took me a while to return to civilization again, and for some reason I cannot access my TS.com account from my blackberry, but during a recent visit to paradise.....ORCAS ISLAND, WA, my family got to meet some of the great people of the shooting sport (seems to happen everywhere we go), when we went to visit ORCAS ISLAND SPORTSMEN CLUB in the San Juan Islands, we were treated to fantastic shooting, great food, great folks and real desire to return as soon as is possible. Not only were we welcomed with open arms, we got a first class tour of the place, Al and Dave were not only willing to take the time to line out our experienced shooters, but took the time to get my sister-in-law her first shooting experience. Under Al's expert tuteluge, she went a mere 3 birds before breaking her first bird and followed it by breaking the next 2 for a 3fer. I will try to post the video of the first shot, once we get a little settled and download the pics from the trip. I would also like to report that I got to meet the great Cableguy (Sean) who is blasting targets to smitherenies with that new / reworked Browning that the site recommended he go for.
    So for anyone headed to the left coast, don't miss out on the Islands (especially Orcas) and plan to eat massive amounts of crab and wild blackberries. Thanx again to all at Orcas, my family and I will be talking about it for quite a while

D

2. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Gina and I go at least once a year. It's a great Island and we have been to all of them at one time or another. Next time I go I think I will bring a trap gun and go visit the club. Jeff

4. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

I visited this club back in 2004 when staying on the Island. I wasn't prepared to shoot when visiting the club as we just stopped by to see it. Learned about it from local. Talk about friendly folks. They kept insisting that I shoot offering me guns, ammo, equipment and targets. I thanked them for their hospitality but declined.

I borrowed some space on our server to post some pics I took in 2004. Enjoy.

Augie
    San Diego, CA

5. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

ddrsuz, apparently you were just visiting the island. Where do you reside?

Augie

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

superXjeff: if you can make an excuse to go, u gotta go, guaranteed fun. Bring every gun you can find, they love to shoot sporting, trap, and the games. Augie:
    we live in Napa, CA, so yes, we were travelling, that was quite an experience. We hauled 4 kayaks on a trailer, onto and off the ferries, for a grand total of about 1900 miles, and paddled all over the place stuffing ourselves with crab and learning the Lopez wave. The day you were there, you got as beautiful a weather day as we got on the other days we were there, but it was way drizzly that day we were there, but these folks don't miss a beat, they whipped out the sporting stands. No one shot in the rain, just blast away in the comfort of your little hut. thanks for posting the pics, it was like a quite review of our trip.
    I love to shoot at our local haunts, Napa Rifle and Gun Club, and the Valley of the Moon, but it truly a treat when you contact a place, tell them you have a major family vacation planned, and they totally bend over backwards to greet you and make a real party out of your attendance.
    d

7. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Ok, as promised here is her first shot with a shot gun on Orcas Island under the prime tutluge of the great Al. Following is the first bird she actually breaks (her third shot) which was followed by 2 more straight for a 3fer, right out of the box. Note the yells from everyone that was surrounding the action........no pressure.....Hope I did this right,
    Watch out CURVEY
    d
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-ALYaiCaw0

8. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

ok, so I blew it, but one of the links worked. here is the other link for the first broken bird, sorry to hold you folks in suspense for so long.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8ETu_6hBk
    ddr

9. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

The guy on station 5 is Alan V., club president and a helluva shot. Station three is his wife Jane. The puller is Ron W. Also a helluva shot and, the guy that got me started. All are also great teachers and mentors. The day you were there, I broke 20 for the first time. A fun place to shoot. Alan, Ron, David, and a bunch of others are constantly improving the club, Lately they have been working on the sporting clays course. It's a small club but a really fun place to shoot. If you come to the San Juans, be sure to bring a shotgun and stop by.

Shawn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.