1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Orange targets at Purgatory... why not GREEN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vegas blaster, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Was just wondering why throw the ORANGE targets at PURGATORY instead of the fluorescent GREEN?

Traveled there from Vegas recently for the first time looking for a place to compete ATA events since LVGC is closing. The grounds and equipment look to be well maintained in a panoramic setting with beautiful weather for late November. Everybody was super-nice as well as professional to put on a well run event.

But those ORANGE DOME - BLACK RIM targets just went up into those beautiful 'Dixie Red Hills' and disappeared. Ended up with an 88 for my first event form 26 yds. Needless to say I was not happy about the choice of target color. Does anyone know if the GREEN targets were ever tried out or even considered?

After a bit of grumbling and a lot of 'bearing down' I actually managed to put together a run 23-21-25-25 for a hdcp long yardage [26-27 yd] grp high score of 94 [felt like a 98 to me!]. There was a 95 from mid-yrdg and a lone 97 from 19yds; KUDOS to Shay...a junior lady! So all in all it turned out to be an OK day for me. But it sure seems like the scores were [on average; especially the 26-27 yds] very low for such a nice day without a lot of wind.

Are the orange [hard-to-see] targets being used just to make it more competitive [tougher] for the longer yardage more seasoned shooters? Why not use a higher visibility target like the DAY-GLO GREEN in hopes of higher [HAPPIER] scores for all shooters and yardages?

JMTC... Jeff K. aka 'Vegas Blaster'

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

You doing anything on January 9th and 10th?

That's all I'll say for now. ;)

3. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

Good news, except, now whatta we gonna say when we shoot an 89?

Regards,

Russ Roberts
    LV, NV

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jeff, Dave:

Looks like the cat's out of the bag.

Purgatory will throw all green targets for the January 9 - 10, 2010 shoot. So, I hope everybody can make it there so we can get a good sampling of opinions on whether green or orange are better.

Scott

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Jeff K..

Count yourself lucky that there is a choice. I shoot bunker trap and all you ever see is all orange no matter what the background is. Wish I could shoot some black rim targets.

TB

6. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Gratefully, It appears the 'voice of the shooter' has been heard in 'Dixie'.

I am thankful[TB;lucky?] for the 'choices[options]' we have; Respectfully, to the fortitude of PURGATORY mngmt to promote their club in the best interest of 'the shooter'.

Scott, thanx for the heads up and the invitation... I do plan/hope to attend [and score well/better!] in January.

Anyone traveling from Vegas for the Jan. 9-10 ATA event? Feel free to start a new thread or tag on to this one for carpool and/or travel arrangements... Howard? Dave? Russ? JP? Matthew? George?... anyone?

Russ, I'm sure we can think of another [non-valid] excuse for lost targets. Hopefully, our 'just average' scores can improve and we can grovel about posting in the low 90's! Jeff K.

7. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

I think " It was so damn cold my hair broke" might replace "I couldna see em", at least in January.

8. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Great news everyone! Purgatory gun club management has decided to throw green targets for the Jan 8/9 shoot! Let's all show our support for this fun club. With the advent of the new Pat traps, competent help, and now targets with great contrast, these folks are bending over backwards to give area shooters the most fun for their buck! I know we are bringing a boatload of shooters from Vegas! Thanks again to everyone with Purgatory Clay Sports! See ya guys in Jan! Who knows....maybe a Saturday nite hold em tournament at the club???? Jerry n Jen.

9. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

We would like to come down for the shoot...do you have a shoot program posted anywhere? And, do we need to pre-register? GaryL.

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Full Green Targets willbe thrown at the shoot in January (9th & 10th) They are also working on room rates at the Holiday Inn Express.

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Start time is 9:00 a.m. on the 9th and 10th

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.