1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

orange dome vs NY style

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In which kind of a background is one better than the other

Thanx-Phil Berkowitz

2. revbook

revbook Member

Better yet....what is the difference?

Don

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Depends on whether you are shooting 7 1/2's or 8's

4. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what is NY style? Is it a substandard target that you fold in half before you shoot it, like their pizza?

Chip Porter

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The black rim works better in the green trees for me.

6. porky

porky TS Member

The black rimmed NY style targets were developed for the NY shooters for the shoots at the State facility in Cicero because some of the fields had the birds rising out of the green background of vegetation and trees into the sky. Shooters claimed that the all orange birds were hard to see. Western Flyer worked with the NYSATA and developed the birds with a black bottom rim so that when the birds had the sky for a background they were easier to see. Some people think it doesn't matter and to others, it makes all the difference. I guess this is why you see all different shades of glasses on people's faces at any shoot because not all people have the same vision with regards to color.

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have shot thousands of both types against many backgrounds and I prefer the all orange target. To me the black rim makes the target look smaller and is harder to see no matter what the background is.

JMHO

Jim C

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What Bluzman98 said.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

I shoot bunker trap and the only target available is all orange. When we could still get orange foam we had a shoot where we used one version on Saturday and one on Sunday. The Orange Dome was about 4-5 targets peers hundred better. Wish we could still get them.

T

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The NY targets are great when shooting blizzard trap. HMB

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The late Frank Little always swore black rimmed targets produced statistically higher scores. I find it pretty hard to argue with a Trapshooting' God!!

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I always thought the NY style target where apples.

Prefer the black rimmed targets all around. My eyes pick up the orange in the green or dark background, and when they enter the sky or clouds the eyes transition to the black rim. The orange or green just disappears, in certain conditions.

Update: OK I see the difference now in the question but I am not sure that is what he was talking about. Here we have 95% solid orange, and green. Meaning the whole top and outside of the target is Flouresent color. I have shot the
    (Orange Dome) targets and like them better for all conditions. This new (NY Style) target seems like it may be better because it gives you slightly more color, although it is mostly on top of the rim that is extra color, so I don't know how much more it would help. Either way, give me black rims with color on the dome!

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

The two choices in this thread each have black rims you know. See earlier description for those that don't follow it.

14. THALL

THALL Member

I find that the older I get, the more I prefer the orange dome. Tim Hall

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here are some very real statistics regarding all-orange vs. NY targets in the Pennsylvania State Shoot singles championship. In 2000, the last year for all-orange targets at Elysburg, 1,536 entries recorded 12 200s under bright skies and in beautiful weather conditions - hot but just a hint of a breeze that made it comfortable. In 2001, the first year for New York targets, slightly fewer (1,522?) entries recorded 26 200s in ugly weather conditions - dark skies for the first hundred and a slightly gusty breeze and rain for the second hundred. Obviously, with fewer shooters turning in over twice as many perfect scores in poorer conditions, the New Yorks were easier to see.

We changed to New Yorks after a gun club delegates' meeting at Elysburg at which we were required to shoot at least 25 targets off a trap loaded with alternating columns of all-orange and New York targets. At the meeting that afternoon, the vote to change to New Yorks was unanimous.

I don't know about big shoots in your areas, but here in the northeast, you can expect to shoot at targets with some black on them at just about any major shoot you attend. Why practice on something you won't see when it matters most?

Ed

16. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

When trees are in the background, I like all-colored targets in orange or optic green. Surrounded by sky, the black-rimmed targets seem to be the most visible. ....Rick

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

IMHO if your shooting at Mason, Michigan, where the target often breaks from the green tree background to a blue sky, you'll appreciate the NY TARGET...

JIM

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Either black rim or NY are better for those with color blindness.

19. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I personaly try and throw black rim here at the house for practice, as most area clubs shoot all orange makes them look bigger.

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Phil, seems most aren't answering your question. I haven't shot an orange dome in quite a while, all we see here are NY or all orange. I think the NY is better when a green grass or tree background gives way to sky background. I don't think the orange dome is ever preferable unless it was a very light background all the way from trap to sky maybe, just makes the target seem smaller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.