1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Orange Dome Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

What is the purpose behind orange dome targets? What possible benefit can be found in looking at a black edge? Are orange dome targets a little cheaper? Is it an ATA rule to use orange dome? It's far easier for me to see an orange top target.

Is the idea to make it more difficult, so they leave the edge black so it disappears into the trees? If they want to make it more difficult, why not just use smaller targets? It would save lots of pitch.

Has anyone shot a full orange (orange on both sides) target? Are they even easier to see than the orange top targets?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The purpose is to have clear, sharp contrast. Many people do not see a benefit between dome or full orange. No it's not to make things more difficult; those that like the orange dome say the ALL orange seem to appear as a streak out of the house where the orange dome has sharp contrast and better visibility. Both sides? Do you mean the underneith and top surface? No, I've never seen the underside painted and the angle of the bird from the trap pretty much prevents seeing the bottom anyway - Skeet? yes it would be visible but I've never seen such a bird......Bob Dodd

3. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

" Black rim is easier to see against a sky blue background than a full orange target."

Maybe for you, Friend. I'll take orange over black, even against the blue sky.

Further, I'm done no favors when the black target never clears the tree line.

Are the full orange targets for wobble trap, where the target gets really high?

Has anyone shoot green targets?

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

As you've seen already, there are varying opinions not any final one. For me, the black rim increases contrast and, therefore, focus on the bird in the sky or elsewhere. Yes I've shot green targets. I do not see them as well as orange in most applications but at some clubs they seem to be more popular than orange. Those opinions will vary also.....Bob Dodd

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I shoot occasionally at Sage Hills in Reno and they throw green targets. Just like orange with black sides, but neon green. 5 years ago when I first started to shoot at Sage, I found them annoying. However over time, they actually seem great. You are shooting on a brown mountain background, so that makes the green jump out at you. And the report from the shotgun is interesting with the mountains right there. Echos a good long time.

Not sure how that would work at my club in Stockton, as the background at that club are trees and an orchard. Seems the green would blend in, but on brown background I think you would like them..........eventually anyway.

6. clazy

clazy TS Member

I shoot on my property at home. A few of the guys that I hunt with come over on the weekends and shoot a few hundred clays. I buy several thousand clays at a time. I buy orange dome, all orange, green, black colors. I buy a variety of sizes too, standard, mini and midi. The different colors and sizes keep it interesting. I have a 3/4 cock double trap from do-all, with a wobble kit. I don’t seem to have any trouble with any of the colors. I really like the all green one, I can see it especially well.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Like BDodd said........CONTRAST!

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Wow smoking357 I can tell you do not have many years of trapshooting under your belt. The more seasoned shooters are trying to teach you “contrast”. Which maybe the most undervalued and overlooked trap shooting topic. Without question the orange dome black rim target is the easiest target to see and shoot in all of trapshooting. You noticed I did not say easiest target to see. There are many target color styles that are easy to see but only one that is easy to see and shoot. This is why it is used at most all major competitions in the country. Once you shoot in many different light and back round combinations for many years and in many different spots, you will then SEE which target is the best.

GS

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Green at my club and 90% of the people like them betten than orange.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I also agree with midlake and Zardozforty. It is important to be able to see a sharp edge between the target and the background. That means the best target color depends on the background. Solid colors work well against a solid background but the black rim is needed against a sky background. We shoot solid green targets against trees at my local club and they work well, especially when the light conditions are not ideal. But a solid green target against the sky is very difficult to see well. Just like a solid orange target against the sky, you can see the target but you can't clearly see the edges of the target.

Phil K. talks about focusing on the leading edge of angled targets. Try that with a solid colored target against the sky under a bright Sun. You can see an orange thing but you can't distinguish exactly where the edged of the orange thing are.

Pat Ireland

11. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I prefer green targets over any others.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

357, many years ago, most local trapshooters only wanted to shoot at all-orange targets. Clubs that threw orange domes were avoided by many shooters. Then the Pennsylvania State Sportsmen's Association, which holds the shoots at Elysburg, wanted to try the "New York" coloration, which is an all-orange target with only the edge of the bottom rim left unpainted, against their trees-into-sky backgrounds. Because of the turmoil that idea created, they held a special practice shoot over traps loaded with alternating columns of all-orange and New York targets.

I drove up there hating the idea of any black on a target but one post - just five targets - was enough to convince me that the New York target was better. I didn't see an orange "tail" from them like I did the all-oranges and they almost seemed to come out of the house "whole" instead of streaky. The vote among the shooters there was almost unanimous in favor of the New York target.

The proof of the pudding came at our state shoot that June. The previous year, 2000, there were 12 200-straights in the singles championship under bright sunny skies. The 2001 shoot was the first with the New York targets and due to ugly weather - it was breezy, the sky was black most of the day and it rained fairly heavily for much of the second 100 - there were something like 20 fewer shooters (just over 1,500). But there were 26 200s posted - over twice as many! Like the shooters of Pennsylvania, you have to give them a fair chance and the alternating colors method works well for that.

Green targets are another source of controversy, as trapshooters as a breed hate change. But orange and brown are from the same color family, so in the winter, orange targets are actually harder to see against trees. And believe it or not, green targets stand out well against the leaves of summer, too. Now, into the sky, they suck but a green New York might be the answer there.

One local club tried an experiment at a winter league shoot years ago. They threw orange targets from one trap and green from the other for that 50-target shoot. The scores on the green trap were higher and even shooters who stood around complaining about not being able to see them and not liking them did better with them.

All-orange is actually one of the hardest target colorations to see against most backgrounds. As Bob Dodd and others have said, you need contrast.

Ed

13. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

"Wow smoking357 I can tell you do not have many years of trapshooting under your belt. The more seasoned shooters are trying to teach you “contrast”."

Uh, huh. According to other posters, this target has only gained common currency in this decade, so it's not like you were shooting this back when Ike was in office.

And just how is a black edge against a black forest "contrast?"

To each his own. I'll shoot where they throw all orange targets.

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

smoking357:

Orange dome targets with black rims are hardly a recent phenom.

When I started shooting in the mid 80's they were the standard daylight target - and had been since since Hector was a pup. Standard night targets (under the lights) were solid white.

Solid orange became common when automatic traps replaced hand sets. The reason? It was a nuisance changing targets. Trap help would waste time loading orange dome only to remove and replace them with solid white at dusk. Of course the next shooting day, we removed any remaining white targets and replaced them with orange dome.

Going all orange eliminated the color change over hassle and also eliminated maintaining inventories of two colors. Even so, I still prefer orange dome.

sissy

PS: We get it. You like all orange and want to argue about it. We don't.

15. Ben P

Ben P TS Member

Smoking 357, Though I don't shoot or put on registered shoots any more, we went thru this in the early 90's at our club. It depends on the background and the shooter's preference. Sorry if every club can't meet your demands at the expense of everyone else. Ben

16. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I am glad this post came about-I thought I was having trouble with
    my eyes until others mentioned seeing a tail on
    orange targets.

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

"PS: We get it. You like all orange and want to argue about it. We don't."

Show some manners, and read the original post. You're the one arguing. I'm merely asking a question.

Maybe I'll try them, again. They seem about twice as hard to see. I'll try to see what the advantage is. I really thought they were used to hold scores down.

I'm glad your club uses the targets you're happy with. It's good to enjoy shooting.

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I figure that the orange/black combo is the reason averages are lower in the East than the West.

19. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Only place I've shot orange domes at is the Ohio state shoot, and NY targets at the PA homegrounds. Everywhere else I've shot is dealing with some sort of tree background and throws a solid orange target. You may be right smoking357, orange domes may be the wrong target for the club you're shooting at. They're perfect at Ohio (that black ring makes that target stick out like you wouldn't believe in the sky back ground), and the NYs look very nice at Elysburg.

~Michael

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

smoking, whether you realize it or not, your remarks have been confrontational and have invited the remarks you now debate. Most of us have tried to explain the whys and how comes in your original quiz. However, nobody, not the clubs, not the shooters, not the associations, want to hold scores down. The shooter wants good scores, clubs know shooters will come to where good scores are shot, the associations are prideful for the good scores shot at their shoots. No one seeks poor scores at registered shoots. Without demanding change, I DO go to clubs and shoots that throw my preference of birds (orange dome White Flyers) and you certainly can do the same.......breakemall......Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

orange dome target

orange dome targets

trapshooting orange domes