1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

$$$$$ OPTIONS $$$$$

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pony Keg, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Options, An option is the right, but not the obligation, to do something.

Now that we have that clear.

Will the shoot managment people please read carefully. Please put bigger options in your shoots. Please stop paying it out to everyone. The top three to five shooters should get paid off depending on the amount of shooters in the money. Make a special purse or lewis of $40 to $100 in handicap. Lets get the money back in the game. I am not a great shooter but I know I love to shoot for money. The bigger the money the better. Most people who shoot are big boys and girls and understand that, "if you are not in it then you cannot win it". I shot a 97 in caps at the colonial classic in PA I tied for second the only 98 played maybe one option. the other 97 and I played all the options. 550 plus shooters and I won $460.00 dollars. Give me a break. If there is money then people will play it maybe 15% to 20% of shooters really play the money but there are a lot of shooters who want to see more money in the game and the money should pay to the top shooters. At one state shoot the lewis paid approxmently $350.00 to an 83 in the caps. There is something wrong for rewarding failure. Trap shooting started out with big money lets bring it back. Managment could do added money in the lewis but to qualify for the added money you have to play the lewis. I would like to see the day when a handicap winner at a state or big shoot can win 20 to 30 thousand. Then the big money shooters will be back.

Please remember people do not have to play the "option"

For trophies give a little pewter engraved cup full of $20.00 bills.

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

Very truly yours,

Jeff Warren III

2. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

People just don't want to give their money away anymore, Jeff.

3. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Bragging rights?

I can stay home and work all weekend and make two to three times the money I can make at a shoot.

Oh My God! an all american shooter is going to take my money if I play it. Let me first say I respect your opinion. However, A man is a man and I am not afraid to shoot against any of them. If a shooter want's to shoot for targets and maybe a trophy good for him and that is 85% of the shooters out there. But bring back the money for the 15% who still want to play that part of the game. Please do not make Trap like Skeet where everyone wins a little something and gets a pat on the butt. No offense to skeet shooters. What I have written is that we need to put larger "OPTIONS" in the program on like a modified top heavy 50 dollar lewis. I was not talking about 85% of the shooters I was refering to 15 to 20% who will SHOOT for money. lets see some numbers.
    state shoot with 400 shooters X 20% = 80 shooter playing a modified lewis @ $50.00 that is $4000.00 in money on that option alone. There would be no point in having too many options but have options and purses that will reward the bets shooters. Say Harlen shoots a 99 and some one else shoots a 98 and then a 97, why does the 92 make more moneythe then man who shot the 97? the reward should go to the BEST shooters that event.

I have said enough on this subject. It is getting late and I have been rambling.

Jeff Warren III

4. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

No offense intended Jeff, but based on your record, you don't even suspect how good the big dogs really are, When you have been in the game a little longer you may start to understand the difference between them and us and most of us understand that putting money up against them is really a very bad investment.

5. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Cherokee Kid, I do fully understand how good they are. However, the handicap system is the great equalizer. It may be a bad investment for you but I have no problem investing in my abilities. The greatest investment you can make is in yourself. You are obviously in the 85% who really are afraid to put up your money. And there is nothing wrong with that. I hope to be there the day you smack 100X100 in caps and didn't play any options. Jack shot a 99 in caps at the Ohio State shoot prelim event and played no money. Ouch. Sure the All Americans will consistantly shoot better scores and averages. But every dog has his day. The days I am on I want to get PAID.

Jeff Warren III

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Careful, Jeff, you're drooling.

I don't think most trapshooters have quite as many dollar signs tattooed on the inside of their eyeballs.

You just have to be willing to travel. Follow those guys around and the opportunity to take their money will always be there.

If you increase the size of the options even fewer will play them and you will be SOL.

Been there, done that.

HM

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any data on option participation rates? Just wondering what is causing the drop in payouts. Is it less people playing options; options paying out more places; options using percentage method instead of Hi-gun method; or more tie scores. I'm sure it's a combination, just wondering if anyone has really looked at the numbers.

8. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Pony Keg . . I have to agree with you. The penny ante option payouts at most shoots are a joke. People have to remember that an option is just that . . an option. To me bigger options add alot more excitement to the game.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would say go for it if you are that good, but don't expect them to change any of the options for you to score even bigger if and when you score ... The points you are making are valid and I agree with you that the best shooters should win the money and they already do on a fairly consistant basis which is why a lot of (most) shooters do not play the money at most shoots ... Try the Fall Handicap in Las Vegas for a little action, I believe they have a mandatory option in most of the events so you will be happy and be able to pay to watch the Big Dogs run and maybe even run with them if you get lucky ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Ignorance is bliss.

LL

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff, you must be a good shot wanting to shoot for some real "option" money. As such, I'm surprised you haven't joined the off-line MOPASSN. group. Most of the dues paying members are people such as you, wanting to play for real money against the "big-dogs" in head to head matches at major venues. It's a great organization but there's a catch in the details of belonging to such an elite group. You have to put your money up front for a minimum of 20 major shoots in advance in order to collect at the end of these shoots. For a measly wager of five grand per event, you stand a chance of winning a whopping one hundred grand at the end of the season!! All you have to do to accomplish this feat is win the majority of these events. If not, you gave it a good try guy! :) MOPASSN., (Money Option Players assn.) designed for shooters in the know everywhere as an alternative choice. Since club managers/operators aren't offering good option choices these days for REAL money. :) Hap

12. ZeroHero

ZeroHero TS Member

I looked up Jeff Warren III on the ATA web site.

There is only one listed.

I would not play any options if these were my averages.

Duke

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, I just looked him up too. I wouldn't bet TOO much on his ablilities!! Even if this incredible shooter simply "played for bragging rights", he would have the right to remain silent.

LOL!!

Tron.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The reality is that the average very good shooter can beat some of the best shooters in any given event. However, the best shooters have 100s of thousands of targets shot at the 27 yard and average 94%+. Put 5 of them in the same event, and one or more of them is going post a 99. You may beat 1-3 of them but the others are just mathematically going to beat you. Handicap is only an equalizer for about 98% of all shooters. The top 2% are not even shooting the same game. That is why the game needs a Master Class.

BTW, Jeff, some of these guys post more shootoff targets in a year than you have lifetime.

15. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

MONEY????People actually shoot for money? I was led to believe that we do this for fun and sport. Given my scores, I would be in the poorhouse if I played for money.Let's arm all those welfare recipients with a decent quality trap gun and make them earn their keep.Forget it!!!That would give rise to fraudulent handicaps and a heck of a lot of sandbagging.

16. CitoriGirl

CitoriGirl TS Member

Dear Trapshooters,

I would agree with the idea that the money at the shoots is not fairly distributed. The general idea should be that if you hit a high score then you may be rewarded and hopefully reimburst with the money already spent on shoot for the day. Suppose your lucky,you hit a 88 and win money, this is not fair the the shooter/s who shot the 99 or 98 etc who tied with numerious other shooters for the same score. I never really cared about playing options before, though after hitting a few good scores and seing that i COULD have won hundreds of dollars it really was a kick in the pants. I encourage playing options on caps because like Jeff said it is the equalizer of the game. Though I do not personally play options in singles because even if you do hit a marvelous score it is harder to win much money back. Though the cost to play all the options can be exspensive there seems to be a few that are worth the while such as the fifty fifty etc. I am on a tight budget and do believe that its very possible to play options without "wasting money"

17. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Hmm my scores?

Lets see, this was my first full year shooting ATA targets. My avg. is low on singles, caps, and doubles. I made quite a few mistakes this year like getting tanked the night before a shoot and posting three rounds of singles with a 77 avg. in one day. Shooting a new gun during my state shoot and scores dropped because I had know idea where it was shooting. Now, let's look at what I accomplished. I started taking lessons and traveling with an All Americam AAA 27 AAA shooter. I shot 100X100 in singles for the first time with less then a year, I gained 3.5 yards in 2 months time,& I learned to shoot doubles with profeciency. I am not an All American. But I know I have the skill to put up big scores at big shoots. I shot most of my big scores at state shoots. I have won some decient money this year. I was ahead on winnings until I dropped $10,000 on a new gun and I just had to drive the new car instead of driving the one that got me there. Check my averages again next year. I know what my goals are and I have a plan to get me there.

Jeff Warren III

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

1. "I made quite a few mistakes this year like getting tanked the night before a shoot".

2. "Shooting a new gun during my state shoot and scores dropped because I had know idea where it was shooting".

3. "I was ahead on winnings until I dropped $10,000 on a new gun".

Well, I think that you should go back and rename this thread "Mistakes that I make that keep me in C class".

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron.

19. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

WOW!!!!!!

There is a 100X100 posted in the Grand American Handicap Championship today by Nick Galata from OH at the 20 yard line. I hope he played the whole card in caps today. Tell him that he shouldn't invest in his ability's. Congrats Nick on shooting a great score.

How many of you are going to say that he will not be able to get a reduction for two years. How hard it is going to be for him. He did a great job and I hope and pray he played every OPTION on the card today.

Jeff Warren III

20. Pony Keg

Pony Keg TS Member

Tron you are absoluty correct. And I admitted my mistakes and I have learned from them.

This thread was not about me it was about OPTIONS for everyone who wants to play them. For the shooters like me who love to take risks for big rewards. The bigger the risk the greater the reward. All I am trying to say is the ATA needs the trophy shooter, the hobby shooter, the weekend warrior shooter. But please do not run off all the money shooters. Shoot managment can adjust the program for better pay offs to the better shooters. VA made some changes this year and people whinned about the $20.00 Mod. Lewis. But shooters still played it and the winners were very pleased with the results. You have to ask the VTA people to tell you the difference this year from last year.

Jeff Warren III

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata trap shoot money options explained

trap shooting money options

what does 50 options mean in trap shooting