1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Options for Canterbury Wireless System?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Feist Hunter, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

My home club is considering the purchase of some wireless voice release systems. Are there other options out there other than Canterbury?

MGM

2. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

FWIW I shoot at three local clubs with the Canterbury wireless systems and never seen any issues.

3. vdt

vdt Active Member

i would not give them house room ,if cool or cold climate they eat batteries

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

The New Clark COunty Shooting Range inLas Vegas has 24 trap fields using the wireless and there are no issues. Work in the 110 degree heart as well as the 40's

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There are issues with the Canterbury Wireless. Be prepared for trouble, because they are essentially built by a cottage industry in New Zealand. Poor quality control.....I really should say inexcusable quality control. So be prepared to really, really learn how they work. Buy spares of everything. You'll need them.

That being said, Bob Shultz Target Shotguns is a pleasure to deal with, will help you out in any way they can, give you loaners, etc., but they cannot make up for the lack of QC at the factory.

The ERAD system looks to be a winner. I wanted to buy those for my club based on 17 out of 17 positive reviews from clubs I talked to. Our old-timers were used to Canterbury and wanted to stay with them. Oh well.

I'll tell you that the ease of setup on the wireless over the wired is phenomenal. Since I was the one responsible for keeping the equipment working, I'll say trouble shooting the wireless is more demanding at the outset, but much less tedious than repairing diodes, wires, cables, etc. in the wired systems. Just be sure you buy at least one spare base, mic and trigger tranceiver, and be sure to have a good supply of quality AA Alkaline batteries on hand.

6. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

Anyone else have experience with wireless units other than Canterbury?

MGM

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Ours work OK. For some reason they do seem more selective to differences in peoples voice than the Canterbury wired system....go figure. Keep plenty of batteries on hand you need 24 AA's to fill the system. First sign of week batteries is one mic will require repeated calls or become very selective to how you call for the bird. The low battery indicator comes on well after the unit stops responding. TIP #1: When you replace the batteries in one mic you should go ahead and replace the batteries in ALL the units, don't wait. Our batteries last about 6 weeks. Of course it depends on how often and long they are used. TIP #2: Send them to the nearest authorized service center during your slow time for the annual service and mic calibration. Best money you will ever spend to lower the shooter frustration level.

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Several clubs I frequent use the Outers/Champion wireless voice release with goood success.

American Wireless Release for Trap (formerly Outers/Champion)

New units available for $1695. Repair on old units available as well.

Howell Shooting Supplies
    140 Lowe Drive
    Enterprise, AL 36330-9324

http://www.howellshootingsupplies.com

Phone: (334) 393-2843
    Fax: (334) 393-0319
    Toll Free: (866) 406-5891

Regards

W&W

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

ERAD is the way to go---everything else is stone age in comparison. Nothing to move during caps. No birds launched by cross talk, auto-loaders closing--additional mics/controlls can be purchased for close to $200.00 Most of the clubs in NC use them. Tough to go back to a club that uses speakers once you've used ERADS.

Its akin from going from a VW bug to a Mercedes. Both will do the job. Which one makes you feel secure and comfortable.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.